IGNORED

HELP with some headphones, please!

Guest Rulohead32

Yeah I mean as I say I've have there for about 5 years without any issue, just that my heart sinks whenever I snag the headphone cable on something in case it buggers up the socket.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ron Manager

i got these, really great sound for a closed back design. great isolation, comfortable to wear for longer periods. recommended for anybody looking for closed cans. akg k550

205z0w.jpg

i can also vouch for these. had them for maybe 18 months now, and they're brilliant. last i looked they were down to about £125. i upgraded from a well-loved pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro and the difference was startling. only downside is that the lead is not detachable, so you just have to watch you don't pull on it too hard. but no problems so far, and i guess detachable cable is one of the things you're paying for when you get into the £200+ range...

i've spent a lot of time, effort and money sending stuff back i've purchased online in the last few years. it's how i do most of my shopping, these days. anyway, i'd say the one thing i've bought i've had the most out of are my grade 80i's - if i had the cash, i'd upgrade to the 325's, which are far cheaper in america, but are about £100 cheaper in the UK now than they were recently >

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SR325is-Prestige-Series-Backed-Headphones/dp/B000J1N3HW/

K-701? I'm considering grabbing a pair myself, just for home listening. Are they worth the price (about £150)?

Some folks love the 701s and some people find them unbalanced and overly bright. It's really a love or hate headphone. Definitely audition before buying.
Unbalanced and overly heavy?! Woah, I've never read that - they're the flattest headphones I've owned. I've had my 701s for almost 5 years now and they're still an utter joy to use daily. When/if they ever break I'm going to stick with exactly the same model again (possible might get the later 702 but that's only as it has the detachable mini xlr cable whereas my 701 headphone cable is hardwired in and is always the most vulnerable part of any headphones).

But for £150 you really won't regret it (i think I bought my pair for just over £250 and don't regret paying that much either!)

I'm sure most of the complaints on the AKGs were coming from people driving them with something totally incompatible. A lot of "high end" "audiophile" amps &c tend to have really specific sound signatures. My gut feeling is that stuff like the AKGs and high end Sennheisers of the 701/HD-650 generation were engineered more with actual studio equipment in mind than the extremely expensive niche rigs a lot of nitpicky/gullible audiophiles are employing. Those niche rigs seem to depend quite a bit on finding some perfect "synergy" -- I'm sure the deliberately manufactured push/pull of consternation/mild reward drives a lot of the spending in the audiophile market.

Of course, it's all subjective, and if you risk heading over to something like head-fi to read reviews you can see how one subjective opinion becomes a factual narrative in that particular echo chamber.

The HD-650s sound very natural to me, but the consensus was that they are "slow" and "too dark" or "veiled." Part of this is probably influenced by the AKG k701s being the main competition a few years ago when both headphones were newish. On the other hand, in comparison, the AKGs are "thin."

After using one or the other for 20 minutes you'd probably forget the sound signature and wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Auditory memory is laughably weak in humans. They're both really good headphones and neither is "correct," but one or the other may be preferable. If you never read any of those echo chamber audiphile reviews would you even be looking for/noticing the alleged faults in either? Maybe not.

Ultimately, the AKGs are probably a little better at fine detail resolution and the 650s are probably a little better at giving the sense of impactful bass.

(IMO)

'Grats on getting a really good headphone, JD

Awwwww yusss :music:

ih3SMcFyYjLjl.jpg

Nice - hope you like them. I seem to remember my 701s coming in some OTT packaging with a headphone 'stand'....

EDIT: This (hopefully it'll hotlink) -

5615823978_a27842e1e0_z.jpg

EDIT2: Oops, can see your stand now !

p.s. don't worry about all that fart of 'breaking them in'. Although they do sound slightly better now to me than when I first got them (slightly wider sound stage), it's by a very small amount - and you might as well enjoy yer new toy from the get go !

Guest jasondonervan

iHFx3w12hDxpw.jpg

Phwoar, these headphones sound a bit LUSH! Finally got 'em out the box today, running through my Fast Track Ultra... currently experiencing extra corners in Fenix Funk 5 :emotawesomepm9:

Bloody awesome cans for £152, cheers pete/baph for nudging me in the right direction! *listens to absolutely everything on server*

I tried out several pairs of headphones to replace my Sony 700's, since they've been discontinued, and I settled on the Shure SRH840 (around $200 canadian). The bass isn't nearly as satisfying, but the highs are slightly better articulated. They're also a bit quieter, which is an issue if I listen to mp3s on my smart phone (I was already cranking those on full blast before for most albums that weren't Merzbow). For the studio it's not such a biggy, though it may prove problematic for some drummers who need to hear everything at deafening volumes. The isolation is superior to the 700's, though it's weird when you first put them on because it creates a sensation akin to your ears popping at a high altitude. This disappears once there's any sound coming through them. Because they're so well isolated this may reduce the need for drummers to track at deafening volumes, as it will mute the sound of their own playing in the room and make the click track easier to hear... maybe. I still prefer the 700's, but I think that's due mostly to the fact that I'm used to them. Having the two sets of headphones is super handy for monitoring mixes. If I can get something sounding great in both of them + my studio monitors I'm pretty confident I've got a great sounding mix.

So yeah, the Shure SRH840 is worth considering. It should be noted that I also tried the next model up, which was really lacking in the bottom end department. If I were to use something like that for mixing I'd wind up overcompensating by making the bass way too loud --this was an issue with almost every other pair I tried.

• 3 months later...

my headphones died last night quietly in their sleep. it was betwix duty: when i had summed then, as i usually do, to soundtrack my evening. they were good headphones and had served me well for more than 6 years.

we'd been together on many adventures, many countries and even many more dreams. they were jvc headphones that i purchased in the last dying days of tower records, and just like that store, they've gone to the great beyond, where they will await me in the afterlife.

my headphones: so long as love and thought

When I want to make music, or just listen to tunes at home alone when it's quiet I use my open back AKG headphones.

81eZ7b5cUkL._SY500_.jpg

Now these sound utterly heavenly, but if you try to wear them on the bus/ outside or if there are things going on around you, you can hear all that stuff too, so they're only any good when you're somewhere quiet.

K-701? I'm considering grabbing a pair myself, just for home listening. Are they worth the price (about £150)?

Get some 701's (or 702's in my case w/ the detachable cable) (if they're in your price range) and drive them hard w/ a nice headphone amp and they can't be beat! I've had mine for 3 years and they still look brand new (granted I only use them in the studio for production) for normal day-to-day stuff I just wear some shitty earbuds because who can tell the difference when you're in a really noisy environment anyway??

**edit: take the time to break them in and the bass will come. maybe you just grow accustomed to them? IDK, but I think they're amazon after 3 yrs. at first they were lacking in the bass, but now they're great!

the Shure SRH840 is worth considering.

i retract this statement. Left speaker now buzzes on certain bass frequencies after only 6 months use (I think it's blown). I'm hoping this thread may give me some new leads.

the Shure SRH840 is worth considering.

i retract this statement. Left speaker now buzzes on certain bass frequencies after only 6 months use (I think it's blown). I'm hoping this thread may give me some new leads.

Sometimes a hair will get stuck near a driver and cause this. Happens all the time with Grados. I'm not sure how the Shures are designed but light blowing of air (not compressed air) has been known to fix the problem (in Grados, anyway).

Yep, I second the trapped hair problem. I thought my Grados were fucked until I noticed there was a hair sticking into the driver.

Well I'll be damned... I'm listening to one of the offending bass heavy albums that had the problem right now and it appears to have fixed itself. Perhaps it was a trapped hair after all! Thanks for the word to the wise.

Fucked off to live in a 3rd world country and need to drive my K701s via my MacBook Air. Can someone recommend me a cheap usb device with a 1/4" output jack / headphone amp which won't sound like ass?

Cheap as in really cheap. $10/$20

Fucked off to live in a 3rd world country and need to drive my K701s via my MacBook Air. Can someone recommend me a cheap usb device with a 1/4" output jack / headphone amp which won't sound like ass?

Yep, think the ELE DAC is what ur looking 4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D02-PCM2704-USB-DAC-TDA1308-Headphone-amplifier-Volume-Control-black-/190898613272

I don't really need to use mine much but it helps reduce noise and increase volume and shit. I need to use it with my laptop when listening with headphones cos it helps reduce the noisy headphone output jack. Shitty Dell™ sound card dayiiiim.

• 5 months later...

Yep, think the ELE DAC is what ur looking 4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D02-PCM2704-USB-DAC-TDA1308-Headphone-amplifier-Volume-Control-black-/190898613272

I don't really need to use mine much but it helps reduce noise and increase volume and shit. I need to use it with my laptop when listening with headphones cos it helps reduce the noisy headphone output jack. Shitty Dell™ sound card dayiiiim.

Times passes...

Will this work with any computer ever? Can't see any mention of drivers. I have a Macbook..

http://www.usb-audio.com/faq.htmlnever mind me, this works purportedly.

I recently purchased a pair of ATHM40x and they blow everything else I've ever owned out of the water. If you read reviews they should deliver a flatter more balanced sound compared to the ATHM50. I also own a pair of AKG702s that are like four times the price of the M40s and the M40s sound way better. I really need a better set up to appreciate the sound of capabilities of the 702s.

So yeah buy ATH-M40s.

Archived