IGNORED

Thoughts on Fire For Effect/Ultrademon

dr lopez

Something born out of a generation that gave birth to Bronies? Sorry, i drink a lot of espresso in the morning. Im usually not opinionated. the music is just OK. I think the difference between millennials and gen x is millennials are averse to cognitive dissonance. gen x had a very angsty vibe and you could here it in the music. sweet and sour. all that. hey, i dont know shit. i get ripped apart on the guardian message boards

Albert (Ultrademon) was born in 1988. He's the same age as Skrillex. Both were in more rock-esque bands before they blew up (Skrillex was in some fairly successful screamo group before he messed with 8-bit and then EDM). Albert was in this dance-punk band called Sscion.

Here's the thing, I was born in 1986. Friends and family of mine born just a few years after (1988-1991) or a few years before (1982-1985) we're all technically millennials. However the range is literally from early 80s to the very late 90s/early 00s.

Here's the thing, that's a huge difference. The problem with millenials is it's a arbitrary, arguably irrelevant grouping. The second half of millenials were BORN into social media and the internet. They don't know anything else. That makes someone born in say, 1995 (who is now about to go into college) has a COMPLETELY different experience in absorbing media than I do.

Some are very similar to me (maybe more old souls or adverse to bullshit like texting all the time or actually appreciate fandom of art and music) whereas other as superficial, and have other social and emotional "issues" attributed to the generation. Hell, some very young WATMMers are hard to distinguish from the older members, to give an example.

I like seapunk and similar 90s aesthetic music (wonky, chillwave, vaporwave, 8bit) because for me it's nostalgic and familiar yet, when done right, coupled with novel sounds. It's like what Boards of Canada was to those who grew up in the 70s. But many seapunk fans, teens especially, don't recall the 90s at all. They grew up in the 00s and know all of the nostalgic media I love through tumblr pics, youtube videos, and blog articles. It's curated for them already. It's frustrating for me to hear some 15 year old geek out over say, Nintendo or Sega, when they never even fucking played one growing up. It's surreal.

Generation X experienced a lot of changes but nothing like the changes social media and internet brought upon. There are children who can operate tablets, smart phones, and feel absolutely alone and confused without digital devices and the internet. Generation X never had such an internal divide in that regard. So that's an interesting point you bring up. Also, fuck Bronies. I don't want to be associated with that nonsense lol.

you say Here's the Thing too much

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did! Here's the thi---

I bet that was one of those posts where I completed part of my though, left my browser tab open, went to get coffee, and ended up finishing the post hours later. So I didn't review it altogether.

Guest Retrig

I just realized it was late when I posted my last comment as well. Came off potentially sounding harsh, and I didn't mean it that way.

I just realized it was late when I posted my last comment as well. Came off potentially sounding harsh, and I didn't mean it that way.

No worries, it's an interesting topic and worth discussing. Every generation is different, and "mine" is so skewed it's debacle whether it's a definable generation at all.

I like the way he uses that break with the almost cliche EDM synth. It's like a collaged pastiche. His work is impressively pleasant and lighthearted.

I can tell you that he is an incredibly awesome person. Had such a great time with him and formed some level of friendship. His set was off the hook. Even if you're not into him, he's definitely someone I think most anyone would enjoy live.

SW-FI-2013-09-26-Ultrademon-1185457_5503

Nice setup there^.

Personally thought he was straight up digital. Is that even his?

Well he makes good music and seems spergie enough to be fun to talk with. I mean personally his music is the only noteworthy thing (and maybe mainframe) that I've seen come out of the scene. Don't really pay attention to it though.

Do you have recordings for which to bless our ears?

Yeah, I've thought that he sounds more of a VSTi guy.

Anyway, that's like 30.000 - 50.000 USD in modular equipment right there, no? Not bad for a 23 year old in that case.

And isn't that one of The Tuss' rotating speakers sitting dismantled on the top of the stack? :tongue:

Guest jasondonervan

SW-FI-2013-09-26-Ultrademon-1185457_5503

Nice setup there^.

Personally thought he was straight up digital. Is that even his?

Nope, not his. That's in a boutique equipment store in Japan from when he last visited for a couple of shows.

Yeah in videos I've seen him messsing with MIDI controllers and stuff, not analog hardware. What's his live setup like? (to those who saw his set)

Anyway, that's like 30.000 - 50.000 USD in modular equipment right there, no? Not bad for a 23 year old in that case.

And isn't that one of The Tuss' rotating speakers sitting dismantled on the top of the stack? :tongue:

Looks like the same manufacturer of the speaker, but the scaling is way way off.

Pretty obvious to me that his music is all or mostly digital.

His live setup here was Traktor and a controller. With that said, when he toured Japan he brought along a synth and some other gear and was going to have a more "live" component to it, but didn't wind up using them.

I didn't ask about his techniques or what he uses, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly software as well. From the original article or post where that picture came from, it's not at all his studio, IIRC.

alright, i'm gonna take the plunge (lol)

ordered seapunk and I'll give it a thorough listen when it arrives. I've listened to a track here and there and never seemed to like it but lots of people are on here who's taste in music I really respect, so I'll give it a shot.

Get the Step Into Liquid 12" and then the Japanese CD of Seapunk. Skip the UK/US version. I was hoping for the best with it but it fails in not even including the best track. I've got great faith in his future releases but the UK CD was a let down.

Get the Step Into Liquid 12" and then the Japanese CD of Seapunk. Skip the UK/US version. I was hoping for the best with it but it fails in not even including the best track. I've got great faith in his future releases but the UK CD was a let down.

Been looking into purchasing the Japanese cd (digital version would be fine as well), but at first sight I can't find a shop to easily buy it from (from Europe). Japanese itunes and amazon don't seem to work without Japanese address (plus my credit card doesn't seem to be valid in Japan for some reason).

Any tips?

Try CD Japan or HMV. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MBIP-5527

That fails, there's this one Japanese exporter place called Mundo that does CDs (think they work with CD Japan). If ever I need anything that he doesn't have. I'll have them go buy it from Amazon Japan or Yahoo! Auctions Japan for me for like a 15% handling fee.

http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/cdjapan/link.html

Guest jasondonervan

Been looking into purchasing the Japanese cd (digital version would be fine as well), but at first sight I can't find a shop to easily buy it from (from Europe). Japanese itunes and amazon don't seem to work without Japanese address (plus my credit card doesn't seem to be valid in Japan for some reason).

Any tips?

This should still be relevant:

http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/japan/how-to-order-from-amazon-japan-a-detailed-buying-guide

Once you get set up, it's just as easy as ordering from Amazon in your own country. I've ordered loads of stuff from Amazon JPN (including the Ultrademon CD), you can specify an international address and as long as your payment method is 'global', ie VISA/Mastercard credit card (NOT debit card) you're good to go. What card are you trying to use?

Archived