IGNORED

The United States That Could Have Been

Joyrex

Guest disparaissant

grew up in chicagoland, currently residing in blue wisconsin

which is a hilarious misnomer because the second most populated county in blue wisconsin is the county i live in, which is either the most or second most conservative county in wisconsin depending on which election you're talking about.

also, westylvania? shouldn't it be pennsyltucky?

honestly i think it'd be neat if north america was divided into a couple hundred micro-nations, each with their own distinct culture, like some sorta western hemisphere europe done on a massive scale

honestly i think it'd be neat if north america was divided into a couple hundred micro-nations, each with their own distinct culture, like some sorta western hemisphere europe done on a massive scale

That's partly why this map is neat - these states follow regions a bit closer, particularly the way Florida, Texas, and California are broken up.

The documentary How_the_States_Got_Their_Shapes is quite interesting. Much of the west is very, very aligned with grid surveys, highlighted by the 4 Corners moment. (Where the Navajo section is)

I like that Rhode Island, which Onion Atlas called "the state by which all other states are measured by" is even smaller in this hypothetical map.

lol, Multnomah. Portland would try to secede. Anyone ever read Ernest Callenbach's Ecotopia? Kinda wacky but overall good fiction about all of Cascadia (not as shown here) seceding in the 80s.

owen your post reminds me of this book I saw on the shelf the other day:

b77a225b9da0678c51947110.L.jpg

"Garreau suggests that North America can be divided into nine regions, or "nations", which have distinctive economic and cultural features. He also argues that conventional national and state borders are largely artificial and irrelevant, and that his "nations" provide a more accurate way of understanding the true nature of North American society." [amazon link]

owen your post reminds me of this book I saw on the shelf the other day

might havta check that out because the cultural diversity of american society is something that interests me

also i got a little salty when i found out Sufjan Stevens wasn't actually going to make an exploratory folk album for each state

Guest disparaissant

not entirely sure wisconsin (or minnesota for that matter) would fall into the breadbasket. our politics are considerably more purple than the rest of the midwest. for some reason i'm reminded of this:

jland.jpg

though i think that aside from chicago, most of illinois is pretty definitely in jesusland.

Odd that Seward got the name it did, considering the town Seward itself is about 120 mi south of Anchorage in south-central AK. The Anchorage/Mat-Su borough might as well be its own state, considering about half the damn AK population lives there. I think "Tlingittlatk" would be a more accurate designation for "Seward", personally.

Also, still debating whether I want to move to "Columbia" or "Cascadia" this year.

fucking LOL @ Reagan. Anyone know the story behind that?

Also, these dont necessarily represent secession movements...if they did Cascadia would be far larger than portrayed.

Ive always been for an independent northern Virginia...the two areas are so damn different.

Archived