IGNORED

After long days and late nights, my first LP is finished. 'Enter Through the Exit'

Guest matthewmcmurry

Guest matthewmcmurry

http://haunteddisco.com/album/enter-through-the-exit

hey folks! This is my first post here. I mostly frequent the reddit /r/WATMM but only just now found out there's a full on forum. Anywho, here's an album I've been working on for the past month or so. It's my first ever LP, so it's a pretty neat milestone for me. I'm pretty new to the world of producing so this was very much a big learning process for me, but it turned out being fun as hell to make. It draws close comparisons to the likes of radiohead, flying lotus, mum, etc.

I'd love some critiques on the production work, since that's what I'm most freaked about. Everything I know about producing is me studying J Dilla and Madlib's beats and trying very very hard to achieve the similar warm/thick texture those two are so good at creating. Other than that there's not much training in the field, so it's all just been experimenting.

Anywho, hope you guys like it!

Great release Matthew!

I strongly prefer this aesthetic to burial or actress etc. I think you've achieved the warm sound you were looking for, and quite honestly the mastering is good. That said, its a bit bass heavy and it would be nice to hear the vocals/samples mastered a bit different (into the higher range to balance out the nice deep bass you've got). This would give it a bit more dynamic contrast, if I'm making any sense =/. I guess what I'm saying is that although the mastering is good, it seems that it's all falling into the lower range of things and this leaves a bit of empty space, imagewise..

I think you have a natural talent and I'd love to hear more of your work! I grew up listening to very dubby music and this brings me back a bit. Also, no harm done but please take some time to go through the forums and listen to and comment on some of the resident members music. Although this is a great place to get listeners for your music, it's good practice to hear what WATMMers have to offer as well. There are incredible artists here including some from Rephlex and other big labels! We have many EKT members that are great too.

Cheers, =)

Guest matthewmcmurry

Thanksya

The lower range thing is a curse. I spent quite a while trying a bunch of different techniques/reading tutorials to clean up the lows and add more to the treble realm. Alas, still bass heavy. one of these days I will excise my curse.

Archived