IGNORED

How Daft Punk Created Their "One More Time" Sample

Joyrex

that's the reason I don't like Daft Punk that much in the artistic aspect. Most of their hit tracks are just samples. Damn, for me that's stealing. And Daft Punk is shit since Human After All.

dj_shadow-endtroducing-gatefold_scan-med

I know. But Daft Punk use samples as whole tracks. At least DJ Shadow arranged creatively.

The whole point of the videos in this thread is that Daft Punk chops up a sample and turns it into a tune...exactly like DJ Shadow. If you think DJ Shadow does something different, then you must not have heard the source samples for Endtroducing.

It seems that any differences between Daft Punk and sample-using artists that you do like (e.g. DJ Shadow) are purely aesthetic.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's the reason I don't like Daft Punk that much in the artistic aspect. Most of their hit tracks are just samples. Damn, for me that's stealing. And Daft Punk is shit since Human After All.

That record store is cool because it has a cat and is allowed to roam inside it - during business hours, no less.

Guest skibby

That record store is cool because it has a cat and is allowed to roam inside it - during business hours, no less.

is that amoeba?

zole, record store cats are almost a prerequisite in melbourne

is that amoeba?

Amoeba LA.

zole, record store cats are almost a prerequisite in melbourne

that is cool. I love cats. cats should be everywhere.

In many cases DJ Shadow doesn't even chop up his samples lol

just loops the shit and puts a beat under it

This is great! I think it's pretty tenacious to find the perfect samples that will work together without much manipulation other than a bit of pitch. I remember reading an interview with Shadow where he says he would dig and dig and dig for the right sample that would fit. These days you can manipulate any sample in so many ways to make it work somehow.

Sampling is an art, and I think it's pretty funny when pplz be all like, "Awww, mang, aaaaall DJ Shaft Punkboy Slim Prodigy did was take a sample and loop it into something else by adding their own shit", cuz such sentiments attempt to discredit the amount of aesthetic sense required to sample something into something else that is actually good (i.e. a lot of aesthetic sense). And people read/watch deconstruction demonstrations of such sampling, and this for some reason makes people think it's easy shit, when it's really quite difficult. It's like, "Hey, guess what? All Rembrandt did was take colors THAT ALREADY EXISTED, and mixed them onto a surface. That's all he did. Caravaggio, as well- AAALL he did was COPY the human form- WHICH ALREADY EXISTED- and just SIMPLY mixed colors to create illusion of form." And then you add to that sentiment a video of a skilled artist recreating one of their paintings from scratch, and voila! Simple mixing colors = painting.

I think most of us know the difficulty of actually having to add something new to any sample, but for the layman wannabe musician whatever the fucks-- fuck them and their simplistic sense of execution. Like for them, good sex is merely putting a penis into a vagina.

No, that record store is cool because of the huge ass Super Mario Bros. The Movie cardboard cutout hanging in the background

No, that record store is cool because of the huge ass Super Mario Bros. The Movie cardboard cutout hanging in the background

I hated that freaking movie. Same goes for that horrible "super mario bros. super show" cartoon they had in the 80's. I really wished they made a proper mario/zelda anime.

Sampling is an art, and I think it's pretty funny when pplz be all like, "Awww, mang, aaaaall DJ Shaft Punkboy Slim Prodigy did was take a sample and loop it into something else by adding their own shit", cuz such sentiments attempt to discredit the amount of aesthetic sense required to sample something into something else that is actually good (i.e. a lot of aesthetic sense). And people read/watch deconstruction demonstrations of such sampling, and this for some reason makes people think it's easy shit, when it's really quite difficult. It's like, "Hey, guess what? All Rembrandt did was take colors THAT ALREADY EXISTED, and mixed them onto a surface. That's all he did. Caravaggio, as well- AAALL he did was COPY the human form- WHICH ALREADY EXISTED- and just SIMPLY mixed colors to create illusion of form." And then you add to that sentiment a video of a skilled artist recreating one of their paintings from scratch, and voila! Simple mixing colors = painting.

I think most of us know the difficulty of actually having to add something new to any sample, but for the layman wannabe musician whatever the fucks-- fuck them and their simplistic sense of execution. Like for them, good sex is merely putting a penis into a vagina.

Lol, so difficult :

When the whole gimmick of a song is a copy/paste, i don't think i can still call it creativity.

If someone took Michelangelo's David's torso, a sculpture of a horse, glued them both together, and sanded the edges a bit, producing an aesthetically pleasant sculpture of a centaur, would you consider it a worthy piece of art? Cause that's what some Daft Punk songs sound like to me

Guest skibby

uh56805,1254002914,justice-daft-punk2.jp

W T F

is it true???

the french have developed very good cloning science

cloning yeah, especially with music styles.

hi daft punk i know you hang out with aphex twin and browse this site.

Guest jasondonervan

Aye, I seem to remember the kit list for Endtroducing being just something like 2 x SL-1200s, a mixer, and a multitrack recorder. And that was it !

Pretty much this:

i4n2ICzDjwjWA.jpg

Lol, so difficult :

When the whole gimmick of a song is a copy/paste, i don't think i can still call it creativity.

depends though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_wKOZqwkw

Actually, the Gescom tracks have a lot of sequencing going on = they actually wrote new breaks/fills with the original sample.

More editing doesn't necessarily mean a better song, but i think there at least different kind of efforts when writing a song. I think Daft Punk writing is often lazy, when Autechre try to push the envelope (if you don't agree with this last statement, i don't want to speak with you anymore).

By the way, i always found the use of the sample in "Gescom - A1" pretty weak, but damn, D1 is banging.

Archived