IGNORED

How come Steinvord doesn't get mentioned at all in Rephlex related press?

pissflaps

How Rephlex survives/exists as a label is beyond me - surely Grant and co. (really just Grant most likely) can't be drawing a cheque from Rephlex sales, could they?

Maybe from copyright and Rephlex artists gigs and Aphex maybe, but hey, it doesn't look like they try these days. I mean, he is the only label manager I know of that claims to rather keep music for himself, deletes his digital shop (maybe they couldn't fund the costs for that anymore, would make sense) and makes it deliberately hard to keep track of their catalog and hardly ever does press.

This shouldn't even be an issue though, they have a large following I think that would buy anything off those guys if it was possible (myself included). I'm brain(dance)washed from the statement to only buy new, original copies so I hardly buy second hand Rephlex stuff, but original copies are so hard to get after a year or so.

Agreed. They could do so much cool stuff with that, phsyical / digital sales and the occasional old back catalogue release of which they surely must have some copies floating around. Like how Ed DMX somehow regularly finds old records and personally sells them through fb.

But what do I know, I didn't run a succesfull label for more than 20 years.

How Rephlex survives/exists as a label is beyond me - surely Grant and co. (really just Grant most likely) can't be drawing a cheque from Rephlex sales, could they?

Maybe from copyright and Rephlex artists gigs and Aphex maybe, but hey, it doesn't look like they try these days. I mean, he is the only label manager I know of that claims to rather keep music for himself, deletes his digital shop (maybe they couldn't fund the costs for that anymore, would make sense) and makes it deliberately hard to keep track of their catalog and hardly ever does press.

This shouldn't even be an issue though, they have a large following I think that would buy anything off those guys if it was possible (myself included). I'm brain(dance)washed from the statement to only buy new, original copies so I hardly buy second hand Rephlex stuff, but original copies are so hard to get after a year or so.

their digital shop still functions. It is just hidden. I bought like 5 albums off there only a few weeks ago.

their digital shop still functions. It is just hidden. I bought like 5 albums off there only a few weeks ago.

Well whaddayaknow... I didn't think you could still trust the paysystem (every time I bought there from '09 till '11 I had trouble with the processing). Tried it now and it works even better then ever... Rephlex logic :)

The reason for redirecting the main site is even more lost on me now though.

That's the think that irks me though - they crow on and on about supporting the artist, buy originals, etc. - and then make it as hard as possible to do so. I think Rephlex likes the idea of their limited releases garnering insane amounts or being so obscure they're exclusive more than any other electronic music label.

It's almost afraid if they became moderately successful, it would require more work/effort, so better to quitely limp by and take it easy.

I'm betting Richard's DJ gigs keep the lights on/the record plants pressing.

Could we possibly see an investment from Warp in the future ala Lex Records?

I'd be surprised if he was putting his own money into it to keep it afloat (a business should be bringing in enough money to cover it's own expenses/payroll), but I suppose that's a possibility - can't really fathom they're getting enough residual sales, let alone new sales to keep running.

Then again, it's a record label run out of a house - how much overhead could it possibly have?

Shit, at least hire a website designer and get that shit running again, mp3s are almost all profit from an indie store. Or bite the bullet and team up with bleep or even Mu's store.

You have to give it to them though. Considering all the different options of marketing your stuff on the interwebs, they sure keep it low profile. So low profile that 99% of their potential costumers barely realizes when a new release is out. I know running a label is no easy task, but come on...

You have to give it to them though. Considering all the different options of marketing your stuff on the interwebs, they sure keep it low profile. So low profile that 99% of their potential costumers barely realizes when a new release is out. I know running a label is no easy task, but come on...

That's just it - there is zero effort here - talk about resting on your laurels...

it's just Grant doing it now through facebook, but there's only about 3 artists who release through the label now so i guess it's not a huge job.

I know you're probably exaggerating, but I can think of 6 artists that released on Rephlex this year.

Honestly one of the best years for Rephlex in some time.

it's just Grant doing it now through facebook, but there's only about 3 artists who release through the label now so i guess it's not a huge job.

I know you're probably exaggerating, but I can think of 6 artists that released on Rephlex this year.

Honestly one of the best years for Rephlex in some time.

Yeah but did anyone know they were on Rephlex but us?

A few months ago, i went to a good record shop & i did mention the recent Darcangelo & Aleksi Perälä ones : they didnt know it was on rephlex sublabels, so they ordered both. The hidden sublabel thing is cool but i'm not sure it helps selling records considered how rephlex is respected in electronic/techno circles.

the press probably relates to rephlex because of the artists who are getting the press are doing interviews and playing shows, releasing albums?

Archived