IGNORED

Google Music Timeline

goDel

I thought it was quite handy. You can compare different careers in terms of amount of releases and their relative popularity. So there's lots of early albums with lots of popularity in the IDM world.

Comparing with the madonnas, the michael jacksons, nine inch nails, kraftwerk, pearl jam, u2...first decade of releases are most popular. And then...perhaps a couple of good albums which get appreciation of the fans. The masses often only see those first couple of albums.

Perhaps there's a google audience bias.(which was your point?) I don't know the statistics. But I thought it was interesting to notice nevertheless.

Despite all the grapes I feel for Google: Google visualizing music history

http://research.google.com/bigpicture/music

HCGT9TS.png

cX5Pxzx.png

H23MZfy.png

Zuf0ITe.png

yaNcYey.png

42iHguA.png

RE the aphex timeline. What is the release shown between ICBYD and RDJ album?

I've never seen that before.

I thought it was quite handy. You can compare different careers in terms of amount of releases and their relative popularity. So there's lots of early albums with lots of popularity in the IDM world.

Comparing with the madonnas, the michael jacksons, nine inch nails, kraftwerk, pearl jam, u2...first decade of releases are most popular. And then...perhaps a couple of good albums which get appreciation of the fans. The masses often only see those first couple of albums.

Perhaps there's a google audience bias.(which was your point?) I don't know the statistics. But I thought it was interesting to notice nevertheless.

Yeah, though i see it as a vehicle for Google Play marketing only. I mean i could understand (reject) itunes/spotify statistics but who the hell uses Google Play for music and what are they represent in global sense? This is a niche numbers. In no way it is visualizing music history, that's fucked up way to deal with people's image of such thread as music history.

Archived