IGNORED

Aleksi Perala is more lush than the Aphex Twin

Adieu

I'm willing to argue that Aleksi Perala's music is more lush than the Aphex Twin's. Whenever I listen to something he makes I am always extremely satisfied by the sound quality/mixing. Everything sounds perfect to me. This is not the case with the Aphex Twin. His music ranges from shit mixing to immaculate. He uses outstanding composition as the backbone for his music. Aleksi's music can be rather minimal and even go nowhere, but it satisfies in that it has sonic depth and quality. Technically I don't know how he achieves this, but it is very noticeable for me. Discuss?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been into Aleski lately too, since I found him through this forum. I have been enjoying his music quite a lot, but Aphex Twin is still the king of this kind of stuff for me. I kind of agree with Foil, though I'd just say that mixing isn't incredibly important. I feel it more as an aesthetic choice than anything. Though, if a song would sound better mixed better, and is mixed like crap well... yeah mixing is important in that case. I keep thinking of The Tuss in this regard. It has those squeaky sounds that really require a clean mix to sound good. It depends more on context than any generalization.

This is a tautology in the context of WATMM dictionary. And it's not perfection that makes music something singular, likely it's the other way round. Like Sun Ra said: make a mistake, and do something right.

What matters foil?

Good music.

But the quality of a sound is just as important as the sound itself in regards to pleasure is it not?

This is a tautology in the context of WATMM dictionary. And it's not perfection that makes music something singular, likely it's the other way round. Like Sun Ra said: make a mistake, and do something right.

The word perfection was not used. I'm arguing the sonic quality of Aleksi's music is superior to that of Aphex Twin's. Obviously, this can be just my preference or some audio hallucination, but hear/feel a distinct difference in the pleasant feelings I derive from the sonic depth his music compared to many others.

It's like the difference between listening to a shitty portable radio from the nineties to the highest fidelity system made by man. It's hard to describe and my technical knowledge is not great enough to explain it in scientific terms.

I've been into Aleski lately too, since I found him through this forum. I have been enjoying his music quite a lot, but Aphex Twin is still the king of this kind of stuff for me. I kind of agree with Foil, though I'd just say that mixing isn't incredibly important. I feel it more as an aesthetic choice than anything. Though, if a song would sound better mixed better, and is mixed like crap well... yeah mixing is important in that case. I keep thinking of The Tuss in this regard. It has those squeaky sounds that really require a clean mix to sound good. It depends more on context than any generalization.

If you were comparing The Tuss to Aleksi Perala I would say the Tuss is very flat sounding. I would need to listen to the vinyl again to confirm my feelings as I haven't heard it in a while. I understand there are obstacles to overcome when one is designing a sound. I'm just pointing out an observation.

What matters foil?

Good music.

But the quality of a sound is just as important as the sound itself in regards to pleasure is it not?

No.

Well, I think you are wrong about this, but to each their own I suppose.

The word perfection was not used. I'm arguing the sonic quality of Aleksi's music is superior to that of Aphex Twin's. Obviously, this can be just my preference or some audio hallucination, but hear/feel a distinct difference in the pleasant feelings I derive from the sonic depth his music compared to many others.

It's like the difference between listening to a shitty portable radio from the nineties to the highest fidelity system made by man. It's hard to describe and my technical knowledge is not great enough to explain it in scientific terms.

Okay, I said perfect in the first post, but it was as a means to emphasize my personal enjoyment. It wasn't being used to establish that there is a perfect way to do something in regards to designing music.

Weird. The Tuss reminds me of Alexsi because of the sound. Less seems to be going on in Alexsi's stuff, and the frequencies are more spread out, which could contribute to that feeling. Take the first few seconds of Rushup I Bank 12, or Alspacka for example. There isn't much going on, but the music sounds like it's right there, and it jumps out at you. Then more becomes stacked on, and those same sounds lose that characteristic. Could you give some examples of Aleksi's finest mixing?

Okay, I said perfect in the first post, but it was as a means to emphasize my personal enjoyment. It wasn't being used to establish that there is a perfect way to do something in regards to designing music.

You refer to the pleasure principle and it ties to the sound quality described as superior, thus "perfect". But that's a functionality of a drug, a hedonist, comforting way to listen, shitty portable radio from 90s has more character and individual taste than consensual hi-fi.

Give some examples of poorly mixed aphex. And no the tuss isn't poorly mixed

Well, I didn't say the Tuss was poorly mixed. Just that I think the overall sound quality of Aleksi's work is better. But this is from youtube clips. I need to listen to the Tuss vinyl again. I imagine some high quality aleksi tracks would be pretty boss though.

Both are ridiculously braindance / 'lush'.
Both have their own style.

AP´s sound has improved so much in +- 10 years (Lactavent + his first EP are pretty harsh/raw), he's really crafting high-quality smooth warm produced tracks lately.
The Tuss produced the best claps of all time, together with the lushest pads and squelchiest of sounds. Warmth is not the main focus in RDJ's sound I think.

My 2c.

most of aphex's stuff was produced in the 90's?

I like Aleksi but not because of his fucking sound, if you like music because "the sound quality is good" then you are in the wrong business.

Also SAW 1 and SOSW sound like crap but it doesnt matter because the music is so fucking good. (some would argue that the bad sound quality adds charm to those particular releases)

I know music is subjective blah blah blah but this thread is so wrong on so many levels.

What about how the colundi sequence how it relates to 432 hz tuning?

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

Also, I think you guys are sort of missing the point.

But I think like Stone in Focus would be better if it was mixed better. It's super lush and beautiful, but it could be improved I think. As an example.

But Adieu, I have to say, rdj's fellow colleague, aleksi, may very well have tighter, slicker sonics in his mixing/production, but i dont know as i've only heard one track of his, (which was lush as hell)...

but i must congratulate this thread because of the rare, but possible scenario that rdj may read it, and be inspired to sonically outdo alexi... which I think he easily can, but at this point, he's held up by people like us as the "one and only" who can do everything perfect, so there's really no motive for him to outdo himself by releasing new hot lush, shit. So, I welcome this post as a joust to our friend richie to get the ball rolling, and show us that you can still make hot stuff!! :D C'mon Richie! Bring it!

Archived