IGNORED

People You Can't Stand

LimpyLoo

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uh. when you've got hyperthyroidism or you're on certain medications, weight gain is pretty much inevitable. sure, i guess you could starve yourself half to death, but that's arguably less healthy than eating a reasonable amount and ballooning anyways.

the simple fact is that there is so much more to weight gain than "lol u ate 2 much! PHYSICS!"

Hyperthyroidism is more commonly associated with weight loss than weight gain.

Certain medications is pretty nebulous, but I'm reasonably sure that taking certain medications do not cause the vast majority of people who are obese (let alone morbidly obese) to become that way.

chengod, i feel like we are on crazy pils? what the fuck are they talking about?, they are using 1 percent of cases to justify the overeating, laziness and shitty lifestyle of the 99 percent of obese

first of all im no scientist (no duh)

i'm not saying all cases of obesity are cause by overeating/lazy lifestyle, but all you are doing is spouting some PC bullshit and justifying/giving excuse the majority of cases which are caused by shitty lifestyle, overeating, lack of exercise etc.

if you dont want to offend fat people thats find but be real, stop giving these people an excuse, thats the last thing they need.

Guest disparaissant

what the fuck are you on about? it's not "PC" to say "there is more to the science behind weight gain than just overeating," it's factual.

i'm not saying all cases of obesity are cause by overeating/lazy lifestyle, but all you are doing is spouting some PC bullshit and justifying/giving excuse the majority of cases which are caused by shitty lifestyle, overeating, lack of exercise etc.

if you dont want to offend fat people thats find but be real, stop giving these people an excuse, thats the last thing they need.

Yeah in the last 20 years the entire world population has uniformly and miraculously grown more lazy and gluttonous. Good hypothesis.

it its factual but a bit misleading (and with agenda), you should say something like "there is more to the science behind weight gain than just overeating, that being said, we should not ignore the reality, the MAJORITY of cases are caused by overeating,lack of exercise "

Guest disparaissant

and your statement is also factual, but somehow not misleading and has no agenda?

okay bud.

i cant be bother, do what you fucking want with your body.

hey this is all i'm trying to say. why do you care what people do with their bodies? do you drink? smoke? do drugs? eat meat? someone out there is willing to judge you for any of those things and i would wager that if they did you'd get mad about it. so why dish it back? people who live in crack houses shouldn't throw rocks is all i'm saying.

especially neil degrasse tyson. dude's not exactly in shape.

Yeah in the last 20 years the entire world population has uniformly and miraculously grown more lazy and gluttonous. Good hypothesis.

While obesity is undoubtedly caused in the main by overeating (and eating poorly), the socioeconomic causes of overeating and poor diet/lifestyle are myriad.

Certainly not nearly as simple as poor choices.

However - none of that renders NDT's statement false or politically incorrect. Look carefully at his statement. "Things you might say if you never took physics: 'I'm overweight even though I don't overeat'" (btw he has a whole bunch of "things you might say..." tweets)

If you had taken physics (and understood it) you would never say that.

While obesity is undoubtedly caused in the main by overeating (and eating poorly), the socioeconomic causes of overeating and poor diet/lifestyle are myriad.

Certainly not nearly as simple as poor choices.

However - none of that renders NDT's statement false or politically incorrect. Look carefully at his statement. "Things you might say if you never took physics: 'I'm overweight even though I don't overeat'" (btw he has a whole bunch of "things you might say..." tweets)

If you had taken physics (and understood it) you would never say that.

I don't understand what's going on here.

People were accusing NDT of disliking or being unfair overweight people, and I came in here and pointed out that (I think) he was doing the opposite.

Guest disparaissant

i don't really see how it could be interpreted as the opposite of what he's saying, he's making a fat joke based on the principle of conservation of mass.

i don't really care about this argument anymore. it was an offhand tweet by a guy who's mostly alright in my book. everyone says busted shit from time to time. whatever.

A) I agree, it cannot really be interpreted in an opposite sense (as limpy seems to be implying)

B) It's not a fat joke.

C) It's not busted?

Back to people who can't stand: Clark.

Back to people who can't stand: Clark.

I can't stand Bibio, not only he destroyed Clark as an artists but im pretty sure he's a pedophile (allegedly) .. and his music is terrible which is a worse crime in my book

what keith said (i agree with keith)

You and Keith. Hmm.

Honestly I thought you were Keith's equally angry, slightly more whizzed-up dupe account.

people that dont like you arent angry, you are just annoying, people that get annoyed at a fucking wasp buzzing around while you are trying to take a nap arent angry people, they are just annoyed at an on your face annoying little twat, wasp.

im sure you are a nice guy in real life

Guest disparaissant

it's not a "good" fat joke, but as you yourself pointed out, it's part of a long line of "things you might say" quips. quips being short jokes. so yeah, it's definitely a joke. about overweight people. a fat joke, if you will.

and it's busted because it's stupid and judgy and factually suspect. at the very least it's condensing the myriad factors that go into weight gain down into a "haha u overeat" trope.

it's not a "good" fat joke, but as you yourself pointed out, it's part of a long line of "things you might say" quips. quips being short jokes. so yeah, it's definitely a joke. about overweight people. a fat joke, if you will.

and it's busted because it's stupid and judgy and factually suspect. at the very least it's condensing the myriad factors that go into weight gain down into a "haha u overeat" trope.

All he is saying is that getting overweight happens when you eat more calories than you expend (for whatever reason, of which as you say there are many), so strictly speaking someone who is overweight is also overeating for their current conditions. He isn't even saying anything about causality.

It's not factually suspect - you don't gain weight without consuming more calories than you expend.

It's not a quip - it's a tweet - by virtue of the medium it will be brief. It's more along the lines of his continuing desire to correct myths that have propagated through folklore. Perhaps a link to a longer article would have been a good addition for the tweet, but I am sure he knew it would be taken controversially and create discussion.

The only way it is judgmental is possibly toward people who have never taken physics.

michael jackson

now seriously i think he's maybe worse then hitler

he could have saved millions of lives in africa but he spend all his money on useless shit, bleaches his skin, touches children then commits suicide when the world is ready for his comback washing some more millons down the drain, and people still whoreship him, he's got like 12 good songs, fucking lol

Guest disparaissant

it's still factually suspect because there are other factors that get ignored when you boil it down to that point - if you physically are unable to process certain types of foods, your body will store them. sure, you're not "expending" that energy, but you could be eating 800 calories a day and be constantly exhausted and yet still gaining weight. it happens. it's actually incredibly common with a lot of psychiatric medications, which change the way your body processes fat.

but whatever. agree to disagree.

It's not factually suspect - you don't gain weight without consuming more calories than you expend.

It's not a quip - it's a tweet - by virtue of the medium it will be brief. It's more along the lines of his continuing desire to correct myths that have propagated through folklore. Perhaps a link to a longer article would have been a good addition for the tweet, but I am sure he knew it would be taken controversially and create discussion.

The only way it is judgmental is possibly toward people who have never taken physics.

That's one of those old truisms that turned out to not be true.

(and I might've given NDT more credit than he deserved...I thought based on the way he phrased the tweet that it was a nuanced critique of prevailing wisdom but I think NDT might actually be a dunce on matters like this)

I'm starting class in a couple of minutes - so no time to watch that, but unless they've discovered some process that violates the laws of thermodynamics, I'm afraid I'll disagree with it on principle.

Archived