IGNORED

People You Can't Stand

LimpyLoo

I'm starting class in a couple of minutes - so no time to watch that, but unless they've discovered some process that violates the laws of thermodynamics, I'm afraid I'll disagree with it on principle.

Don't worry the laws of thermodynamics remain intact.

yes

'calories in > calories out = weight gain'

is technically true

but it doesn't indicate where the problem is

it just implicates gluttony and laziness

(which aren't the problem)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't really see how it could be interpreted as the opposite of what he's saying, he's making a fat joke based on the principle of conservation of mass.

i don't really care about this argument anymore. it was an offhand tweet by a guy who's mostly alright in my book. everyone says busted shit from time to time. whatever.

This (essentially)

I'm gonna personify the State of the Union Address. K. BOO YOU SUCK STATE OF THE UNION

-Ad-, 20XX, 2WV, 4d0lf, 747Music, A/D, abreaktor, absense, abusivegeorge, Aces, ACIDBAT, acromax, acroyear, Adam, AdieuErsatzEnnui, aeser, Al Hounos, Allize, ambermonk, Amen Lare, AnalogueCreamPie, andihow, android402, anigbrowl, anis258, Antape, apatch, apriorion, Area, arvy,Audioblysk, autechrist, auxien, Avarik, Axes, azatoth, b born droid, Bambi, baph, batch, beariksson, beatfanatic, beerwolf, benc812, BentyTwenson,Berk, berniboux, Bertolt Brechtakt, bitroast, blackdust, Bob Dobalina, bossman, Braintree, Bread, break_or_bounce, brendyman, Brian Tregaskin,Brisbot, brisk, bronchuseven, bubbhasdance, Butterfly, caIx, calbruc, campaign, Candiru, Capsaicin, catchpazuzu, cebec, Ceerial, Ceqn, Chalybs,chaosmachine, chaproy, chartnok, chassis, cheeseburgerwalrus, chenGOD, chim, chomp, chook, chops727, chris moss acid, Chris Toffer,chronical, CJM, cjsinnbeck, cloud capture, cloudbreaker, coconuthead, colunga, coolandfrank, crono3, crx091081gb, Cryptowen, cult fiction,dampboy, danke, Danny O Flannagin, danshoebridge, data, Deer, deferlow, Deion Sanders, delet..., DerWaschbar, Diabrotikos, dial, Diao, digger, digit,disparaissant, Djeroek, donk, Doomczar, dooocs, DorkingtonPugsly, doublename, Dpek, dr lopez, dumplings, Earth, Echolalia, eclipsis, eczem, Eggs,Ego, EleminoP, elusive4, encey, EnjoyableFog, Ethel, eugene, feartherush, feltcher, fenton, fiznuthian, fizzkinz, Floyd, foubar, Frankie5fingers, Freak of the week, Friendly Foil, frktl, funkaholic, futureimage, gaarg, gabrielconroy, Gary C, ghOsty, glassdorsal, Glunk, gmanyo, gnarlybog, Gocab,goDel, Godwin Austen, Goiter Sanchez, GORDO, Gravity, Gretsky 3D, GRVGLTCHR, halisray, Hanratty, hanz tisch, Happosai, Hasselbalch, Hectic Electric, hello spiral, Herr Jan, hoggy, Homestar Runner, Hoodie, I Am Beyond Human, Icct, Ifeelspace, igloos unlmtd, ilt17, impotentwhitecapitalist,Indicator, inget, iococoi, IOS, ishishiba, Itsu, Ivan Ooze, ixtapa70, J3FF3R00, jaderpansen, Jakuar, jamesanderson, Jamesqdot, jasondonervan,jeyemusik, jhonny, Jimmy McMessageboard, jlobkob, jmbf44, John Ehrlichman, John Maher, johnoise, Joseph, joshuatx, joyeboy, Joyrex, jules, k h o v, kaini, kanarie, Kcinsu, Keelan Tollefson, Keith, kichiguy, kinski, kirm, kloffy, kokoon, Kooch, korona15, Kozydude, KV89, kyriakos,lactatingbillhonkey, Lane Visitor, LARRY, ledouxca, LemanRuss, Leon Sumbitches, Lewps, lifeforce, LimpyLoo, lin, Little Lord Faulteroy, lo-fi,logakght, loganfive, logboy, Logosman, LOL Alzado, Lost in Amber, luke viia, lumpenprol, lyktstolpe, lyst, maaarghk, Macca, MadameChaos,manmower, marf, MarinaStewart, Marked x 0ne, marty, Maurice, maxwellsq, mcbpete, Mcdergbit, mcglockers, megapussi, melancholera, Mellow U,Mesh Gear Fox, messiaen, mgore10, Microfiche, miim, Mika Technika, Mike_Haggar, Milkweg, Mimi, Mindphaser, missingsense, MisterE,mistymountainhop, MIXL2, mizuki, modey, mokz, Moon, morphis2525, Mr Ouija, mraeclo, mrmegaman, mrx, murph, nature, Nebraska, nene multiple assgasms, neutral, NI64, nicola, nizzleone, Noe, Noman23, NVious, o00o, Obel, ola t, OneToThirtySix, oscillik, pafr, Params, paranerd, paranoid-666, Passionate Introvert, pasturezerofuture, pattern recognition, patternoverlap, paul8088, peace 7, pek, Pennywise, Philip Glass, phling, Phoenix,phudoshin, pierlu, PikkioMania, pixelives, pizza, placidburp, PlatrixECV, plisb, plstik, Plum, POLYMAN, Polymershapes, popiax, psn, psycho,pyramidpanes, QBLA, qnio, qomphort, r2c, Ragnar, ravedamage, Rbrmyofr, rddm, Reinehr, rekosn, Retrig, roasty, rocky path, Ron Manager, Root5,Rpeg, Rubin Farr, Rulohead32, RWM, ryanpetersen, Rytme, saltykraut, salvaKPO, Salvatorin, SamSam, Scandra, schizophonic, Schlitze,Seginustemple, sergeantk, Shabax, Shadow GriZZly, ShammenDelly, sheatheman, shiv, sidneylooper, skibby, Slacker, SmackSmash, smokebelch,sneaksta303, Solo Strike, SPD², SpeakerJunk, spratters, Sprillian, Squee, SR4, ssol, Staadrengen, StephenG, Stickfigger, Suffocate Peon, sundog,sunshine recorder, SUPiERo, supremedevice, Susan, sweepstakes, t yst r, T35513R, Taciturn, tauboo, tec, telefunken, Terpentintollwut, tetrode,th555, the burglar, The Caustic Window, The CIA, thief, THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON, Timothy Forward, tokn, Tom Servo, tontonz, toosharp, triachus,TRiP, unfunfionn, Uniret, usagi, ussr, v/v, V7PROC, vamos scorcho, vasio, ventolin68, verticalhold, very honest, VIII, Vilwx, vincentvc, vletrmx,westhead, White Mask, White Rainbow, wntrmute, woi77, Woozz, Wurstwasser, Xenon, xf, :sad:x :sad: o :sad: x :sad: , xxx, yanG, yek, yikes, yshf, zaphod, zazen, Zeffolia,zemudene, Zephyr_Nova, zkreso, ZoeB

(joke)

i understand for the others and yourself but why me?! :shrug:

wow some real sensitive people in this thread. most fat people are fat of their own volition. hypothyroidism has weight loss as a symptom, not weight gain. most diseases that cause weight gain are very rare. and yes, if you take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight. it is actually that simple. you can complicate it with genetic predisposition, disease, economic status, education on health etc, but for the majority of overweight people, the vast majority, especially in the united states, you are responsible for your obesity.

wow some real sensitive people in this thread. most fat people are fat of their own volition. hypothyroidism has weight loss as a symptom, not weight gain. most diseases that cause weight gain are very rare. and yes, if you take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight. it is actually that simple. you can complicate it with genetic predisposition, disease, economic status, education on health etc, but for the majority of overweight people, the vast majority, especially in the united states, you are responsible for your obesity.

If you really think that you should watch the video I posted on this page.

I'm starting class in a couple of minutes - so no time to watch that, but unless they've discovered some process that violates the laws of thermodynamics, I'm afraid I'll disagree with it on principle.

You really should watch the robert lustig lecture. It's actually one of the most important and influential youtube videos published in the last few years. He is not a controversial figure either. His views are becoming the mainstream, with a few exceptions.

I can't state enough that you should watch the whole thing, even if some of the science is beyond you. He's a good communicator and you need to see the whole thing to really get your mind around what is going on.

Don't worry the laws of thermodynamics remain intact. yes 'calories in > calories out = weight gain' is technically true but it doesn't indicate where the problem is it just implicates gluttony and laziness (which aren't the problem)

I'm just not seeing how NDT's tweet implies that everyone who is fat is lazy and gluttonous. Delet: can you sum up the video for me? I'd watch it, but I'm afraid the length of it would be too much for my dull mind and I wouldn't be able to understand the science.

Edit: never mind, I googled Lustig - and I don't disagree with any of what he wrote. But if you read what he actually writes, he says: "Sugar in excess [emphasis mine] is a toxin, unrelated to its calories".1 If you're taking in 2,000 calories of sugar/day, you will become diabetic and dead long before you become obese. Having just been to the US though, I can tell you that portion sizes there are unhealthy even if they have little sugar in them.

Excess consumption of anything will most likely have unhealthy results (too much water can lead to death for example).

So what I'm saying is - over-consumption of sugar (overeating) will lead to obesity. He's not refuting NDT's tweet at all.

And yes, i understand about the socioeconomic reasons for the poor health choices many Americans face daily - food deserts, time restraints, all that. Not once have I said that obesity is not the result of myriad issues.

All I'm saying is that NDT's tweet is a) not wrong, and b) not a jab at fat people.

1: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lustig-md/sugar-toxic_b_2759564.html

Back to people who can't stand: Clark.

is it because he's in a wheelchair? if so, that's fucked up man. seriously. have some re-cocking-spect

Read what I wrote?

Don't worry the laws of thermodynamics remain intact.

yes

'calories in > calories out = weight gain'

is technically true

but it doesn't indicate where the problem is

it just implicates gluttony and laziness

(which aren't the problem)

I'm just not seeing how NDT's tweet implies that everyone who is fat is lazy and gluttonous.

Look, I have turned my back on NDT. He is dead to me.

is it because he's in a wheelchair? if so, that's fucked up man. seriously. have some re-cocking-spect

Read what I wrote?

woah

i just got that.

Read what I wrote?

woah

i just got that.

Apology accepted ;)

It's not factually suspect - you don't gain weight without consuming more calories than you expend.

It's not a quip - it's a tweet - by virtue of the medium it will be brief. It's more along the lines of his continuing desire to correct myths that have propagated through folklore. Perhaps a link to a longer article would have been a good addition for the tweet, but I am sure he knew it would be taken controversially and create discussion.

The only way it is judgmental is possibly toward people who have never taken physics.

That's one of those old truisms that turned out to not be true.

(and I might've given NDT more credit than he deserved...I thought based on the way he phrased the tweet that it was a nuanced critique of prevailing wisdom but I think NDT might actually be a dunce on matters like this)

Thanks for sharing the video. I've watched some other documentaries that talk about high fructose corn syrup as a toxin, but didn't go in depth with the science like this one has.

i hate violent ppl (violent in any form)

Emotionally violent? Like hating people?

I can't stand people who's always happy.

So you go around ruining people's day, just so you can tolerate their company. hah :w00t:

Nah. I like to be happy and shit. But some seople pimply starts to act like a fool fool of fock. Like... we need sadness in order to feel happiness, right? :emb:

Archived