IGNORED

People You Can't Stand

LimpyLoo

Bus drivers who've just left the bus stop and don't stop and let you enter when they see you running to the bus stop, waving your arms and such, but instead keep on driving.

Gave him a good "up yours" (without the finger, just the wrist-in-elbow forceful motion) in his rear mirror. I haven't done that for ages. Felt fucking good. Like power.

This!

It makes me erupt in anger even when I witness it happening to someone else.

Also feel a small amount of joy when a driver does actually stop to let someone get on.

*weird issues guy*

Greetings kindred soul!

So the driver this morning did stop, so he was a-ok in my books. Also, he was a tat early, but he also seemed like a very good man.

Then again, this afternoon, the driver drove away again; I didn't even try and catch it at this point at instead took the other one, which left 4 minutes later (but I have to walk 10 minutes to get home instead of 1.. aw well)

I've got a solution, how about turning up on time for the bus. If you miss the bus it is your fault and this hating on the bus driver for getting on with his job and keeping to a schedule that other people who also have places to be and depend on is wrong. Being angry at the bus driver for not picking up one more princess who couldn't get their shit together and doesn't want to wait a few more minutes for the next bus because it's their fault they were late, is kind of moving into people i can't stand territory.

sorry. but yaknow, grow up. etc. [-;/

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a solution, how about turning up on time for the bus. If you miss the bus it is your fault and this hating on the bus driver for getting on with his job and keeping to a schedule that other people who also have places to be and depend on is wrong. Being angry at the bus driver for not picking up one more princess who couldn't get their shit together and doesn't want to wait a few more minutes for the next bus because it's their fault they were late, is kind of moving into people i can't stand territory.

words of wisdom

Bus drivers who've just left the bus stop and don't stop and let you enter when they see you running to the bus stop, waving your arms and such, but instead keep on driving.

Gave him a good "up yours" (without the finger, just the wrist-in-elbow forceful motion) in his rear mirror. I haven't done that for ages. Felt fucking good. Like power.

This!

Also feel a small amount of joy when a driver does actually stop to let someone get on.

*weird issues guy*

Greetings kindred soul!

So the driver this morning did stop, so he was a-ok in my books. Also, he was a tat early, but he also seemed like a very good man.

Then again, this afternoon, the driver drove away again; I didn't even try and catch it at this point at instead took the other one, which left 4 minutes later (but I have to walk 10 minutes to get home instead of 1.. aw well)

Jesus are you kidding me? If the bus driver can't spend the extra 5 seconds waiting for someone who's dashing for the bus, there's clearly something gone wrong with society.

truth is somewhere in the middle here - unless they're already pulled over while the person is running up to the stop, it makes sense for them to keep rolling. none of us on the buses here in seattle have access to seat belts, so when a bus stops on a dime to pick somebody up, it's usually pretty shitty for the passengers. plus they aren't supposed to stop anywhere but at the actual bus stops (fucks with traffic behind the bus pretty hard to have it abruptly halt while someone is running up to it...)

what really sucks is when the bus is early and they still breeze past you.

This!

*weird issues guy*

Greetings kindred soul!

Jesus are you kidding me? If the bus driver can't spend the extra 5 seconds waiting for someone who's dashing for the bus, there's clearly something gone wrong with society.

It's not an extra five seconds though is it. This is the typical underplaying done by someone who is guilty of thinking that the bus driver should stop. Now go away and figure out why you're wrong (luke provided some helpful hints) and whilst you are at it, watch that sugar video ;-p

This!

*weird issues guy*

Greetings kindred soul!

It's not an extra five seconds though is it. This is the typical underplaying done by someone who is guilty of thinking that the bus driver should stop. Now go away and figure out why you're wrong (luke provided some helpful hints) and whilst you are at it, watch that sugar video ;-p

Fuck off I'm wrong. I've had bus drivers pull away from the stop whilst I'm banging on the goddamned door.

No need to watch the sugar video, I googled him and figured out his science. I don't disagree with him, but again, if you bothered to actually read what I managed to produce with my little peon brain, you'll see that once again, it's excess sugar that's the problem. Excess. Maye it means something different to you intellectual elites, but for us plebes it means more than a safe/receommended/necessary level.

The door was shut. Of course there are going to be outlier situations where you will, of the hundreds, encounter the arsehole busdriver and perhaps they reverberate more in your mind when this issue is brought up, sullying the normal behaviour of busdrivers just getting on with servicing their route and the hundreds of stops that they have to make, where they will encounter probably 5-6 people that failed to get the stop in time to make that bus, who still believe that they have a right to get on even though it is already pulling away, or the door is closed. Also, banging on the door when it's closed is a little futile, and perhaps aggressive, would make most bus drivers think, "well i can open the door and get chewed out by this douche, or i can keep driving and not have to deal with his braggadocio. Let's just keep driving."

Also, if buses were automated we wouldn't be having this discussion. It would be assumed that the door wasn't going to open (like with trains), there wouldn't be any human onto which to project your ire, help to emotionally compensate for your failings.

Also, the sugar thing isn't as simple as you think it is. There are two different kinds of sugars that get processed differently in the liver. Sucrose or table sugar is a mix of the two, glucose and fructose. In (american) soda's you'll know that they use high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener. They use it because it tastes sweeter than sucrose. But funnily enough when they introduced it in the 80's decided not to then use less of it, because it made the drinks more addictive, you'll see why below. Also, It was cheaper due to government corn farming subsidies, making the product cheaper than cane or beet sugar.

Anyway, not all sugars the same, it isn't calories in calories out, as they don't metabolize in the same way. It's a complicated picture with High fructose corn syrup as the main villain. One thing that fructose does is that it suppresses leptin which makes you feel full and blocks the removal of the ghrelin from your system which makes you feel hungry.

nwae, watchee the documentary if you get the chance. I don't like the one he made since then because he tried to make it entertaining, or the ted talk because he gets political and doesn't just talk about what he knows. This one is just the facts maam.

nope, i just think about these things before passing judgement on some downtrodden service sector employee. They put up with enough shit all day as it is, dealing with the public. My job does involve regular interfacing with the public though. You could say that because i bight my tongue for a living, perhaps i let it rip a little in here, but i don't think so, as i've always thought like this. And I never bring stories from work in here, but that's mainly just a professional thing, don't want to mix the two sphere's lest it come back to haunt me in some way.

They interview Robert Lustig in that doco you mentioned.

" interfacing with the public"

Thats a lol and sad at the same time. I imagine it can be pretty horrible with all those opinionated inconsiderate fucks out there. There's always something not to their likings and,or expectations. And it's all your fault!

a) buses here don't have hundreds of stops, so even 5 stop where people are say 10 seconds late sums up to less than a minute of difference. The bus is much more likely to be late due to traffic considerations.

Knocking on the door is pretty standard procedure, I'm not talking about banging on it like a maniac.

b) If you chew out a bus driver for waiting, then you're the asshole. Most people here thank the driver for waiting, or simply give a little nod.

c) I deal with the public in my part-time work, so don't assume you have a monopoly on that shit. Also bus drivers here are hardly down-trodden. In Vancouver they make $26.50/hr until 7.5 hours, after which they make time and a half. After 9 hours they get double time. 3 weeks vacation time for the first five years, with an additional week added after every 5 years.

My point is that if we as a society can't be fucked with waiting 5-10 seconds so that some poor bastard who's kid threw up in the morning causing him/her to leave the house a minute late and is running for the bus and gets there 5 seconds late, then there's something seriously lacking in terms of empathy. I'm not talking about some lazy fuck sauntering from the end of the block whilst smoking a cigarette.

I fully understood the science behind the sugar thing, but the key is still "over-consumption". And that comes form Dr. Lustig's mouth.

a) buses here don't have hundreds of stops, so even 5 stop where people are say 10 seconds late sums up to less than a minute of difference. The bus is much more likely to be late due to traffic considerations.

Knocking on the door is pretty standard procedure, I'm not talking about banging on it like a maniac.

b) If you chew out a bus driver for waiting, then you're the asshole. Most people here thank the driver for waiting, or simply give a little nod.

c) I deal with the public in my part-time work, so don't assume you have a monopoly on that shit. Also bus drivers here are hardly down-trodden. In Vancouver they make $26.50/hr until 7.5 hours, after which they make time and a half. After 9 hours they get double time. 3 weeks vacation time for the first five years, with an additional week added after every 5 years.

My point is that if we as a society can't be fucked with waiting 5-10 seconds so that some poor bastard who's kid threw up in the morning causing him/her to leave the house a minute late and is running for the bus and gets there 5 seconds late, then there's something seriously lacking in terms of empathy. I'm not talking about some lazy fuck sauntering from the end of the block whilst smoking a cigarette.

I fully understood the science behind the sugar thing, but the key is still "over-consumption". And that comes form Dr. Lustig's mouth.

Yes but the difference of course is whether the consumer is purposefully over-consuming, or whether the consumer has been duped into thinking he's consuming less than he is, and unwittingly poisoned with something that makes him unconsciously want to perpetually consume and yet also perpetually feel hungry.

Yes but the difference of course is whether the consumer is purposefully over-consuming, or whether the consumer has been duped into thinking he's consuming less than he is, and unwittingly poisoned with something that makes him unconsciously want to perpetually consume and yet also perpetually feel hungry.

And if you go back and actually read what the fuck i wrote regarding this whole thing, I am in no way absolving corporations or placing the blame solely on consumers. I fully acknowledge that there are myriad factors contributing to the epidemic of obesity in the Western developed world.

Archived