IGNORED

Do you have to stand for it?

SR4

A good friend of mine earlier today reminded me that they would not stand for something, and that made me want to pose this question to the larger WATMM community.

What won't you stand for? Do you have to stand for anything? Why or why not?

I'll start.

People that don't check their cisweighted privileges. I dont have to stand for that.

Eating eggs with a spoon. I really don't have to stand for that.

Shoddy AFX imitations. I dont have to stand for that.

Hairless dogs. I will not stand for that.

Tell me WATMM, what will you refuse to stand for?

tumblr_lxaivn7hkb1r1uuc8o1_500.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand for people who are flippantly wrong. In other words, I can't stand people who declare untrue or false things, including trivial statements. Not like lying or serious falsehoods, but loud ignorant people. I was the kid who got flustered when a movie or tv show misidentified a fighter jet (4th down). I can relate to the metalhead who scoffs at being Judas Priest being called "death metal." I feel like Lisa Simpson often.

It's maddening seeing someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about have someone listen to them. I suppose that's why I often avoid the news, comments online, and why I want to quit my job. I've politely interrupted strangers to correct them, but usually (and for the sake of not being a dick) I usually just laugh it off.

I can't stand for people who are flippantly wrong. In other words, I can't stand people who declare untrue or false things, including trivial statements. Not like lying or serious falsehoods, but loud ignorant people. I was the kid who got flustered when a movie or tv show misidentified a fighter jet (4th down). I can relate to the metalhead who scoffs at being Judas Priest being called "death metal." I feel like Lisa Simpson often.

It's maddening seeing someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about have someone listen to them. I suppose that's why I often avoid the news, comments online, and why I want to quit my job. I've politely interrupted strangers to correct them, but usually (and for the sake of not being a dick) I usually just laugh it off.

me too, and they're everywhere. people act like being right is a trickery game and they just have to practice being convincing.

Your username is apt for this discussion :emotawesomepm9:

me too, and they're everywhere. people act like being right is a trickery game and they just have to practice being convincing.

Online especially, it's like "I'll comment to sound smart" is far more common than smart people commenting. Actually that's why I like WATMM, there's a lot of snark and silly nonsense but bullshit is called out most of the time.

i won't stand for the arbitrary use of the term "cis"

cis
sɪs/
adjective
CHEMISTRY
  1. 1.
    denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on the same side of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are on the same side of the bond.
    "the cis isomer of stilbene"

keeping it IDM for the moment:

I can't stand my own inability to stick to one pronunciation of Autechre after almost 20 years.

I can't stand trying to explain what IDM is to people and knowing it's not their fault they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I can't stand what IDM stands for (not ideologically, I mean the actual acronym), and that that didn't get sorted out a long time ago.

I can't stand how good Chiastic Slide is.

And I won't stand for my criminally low musical output in recent years. So that will change soon.

----------------------------------------------

shameless self-promo not in a sig file:

blanketforts.bandcamp.com

I can't stand my own inability to stick to one pronunciation of Autechre after almost 20 years.

I can't stand trying to explain what IDM is to people and knowing it's not their fault they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I can't stand what IDM stands for (not ideologically, I mean the actual acronym), and that that didn't get sorted out a long time ago.

And I won't stand for my criminally low musical output in recent years. So that will change soon.

Richard, is that you?

Word. That LP had a huge impact on me when I first listened to it. I still believe it was a pivotal moment overall in Ae's career(s). That and Envane, which came out about the same time.

Laughing Quarter is the fuckin' binnesz - one of Ae's best trax of all time.

I can't stand people with no class.

I can't stand icy roads and sidewalks.

I can't stand privacy invasion, especially by powerful entities.

Is there a song out there somewhere titled "I can't stand"?

No matter what you stand for as long as you'll step up to stand up for the things you feel need to be stood up for.

That's basically where I stand.

I can't stand when intelligent, articulate, educated people apologize for fascism, it's really disturbing and creepy.

From this moment forward I will have zero tolerance on this issue

Are you ripping me for my facebook comments?

you're on facebook? No i'm speaking very generally. Sorry im just outta control at the moment with laser focused anger at the US government right now, if i've insulted you it was totally unintentional
It's possible some feelings will be hurt in the wake of my anger, but it's not personal. I think you're a good guy

you're on facebook? No i'm speaking very generally. Sorry im just outta control at the moment with laser focused anger at the US government right now, if i've insulted you it was totally unintentional

Yeah, I commented about the SOTU in a way which could have been construed as apologetic for the president. You didn't insult me or anything. Also, your laser focused anger has been previously noted.

Richard, is that you?

haha nice one

Word. That LP had a huge impact on me when I first listened to it. I still believe it was a pivotal moment overall in Ae's career(s). That and Envane, which came out about the same time.

Laughing Quarter is the fuckin' binnesz - one of Ae's best trax of all time.

I can't stand people with no class.

I can't stand icy roads and sidewalks.

I can't stand privacy invasion, especially by powerful entities.

Is there a song out there somewhere titled "I can't stand"?

I completely agree about Chiastic Slide being pivotal. It was the one and only album that was exactly what I was looking for from them. Before everything was a bit too repetitive for me; afterwards I always felt I had to run to catch up (though sitting through the repetition and running after the frantic changes were both worth it). But that album grabbed me and held me from first listen on. Funny that it was the only one that never got proper distribution in the US; I wonder what would have happened if it had... probably nothing different. :p

Oh and it's the last album they did with as many clearly different time signatures / polyrhythms. Before mostly 4/4, after tended to be 4/4 or odd changing-up stuff. But anyway.

I CAN'T STAND IT!

i won't stand for the arbitrary use of the term "cis"

cis
sɪs/
adjective
CHEMISTRY
  1. 1.
    denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on the same side of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are on the same side of the bond.
    "the cis isomer of stilbene"

1325923333_ice-cube-check-yo-self-mens-t

Archived