IGNORED

Luke Vibert - Ridmik

Herr Jan

I'm quite surprised by this release and also by the comments there! I'm kinda late to the party and actually didn't have a clue about how this could sound, and right now I'm still to track 5 but so far this sounds completely like what I'd call "classic Vibert". It made me think about YosepH from the firsts seconds on and it still does. I really like this simple acid and very synthetic approach of his. Plus there were some killer basslines so far, I'm looking forward to the rest of the tracks. I'm feel happy!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The synth work, production, groove... It's great acid.

I hear you guys- I, too, love his sample based stuff Wagon Christ and whatnot, but to me that's been his most hollow, and repetitive work of late- especially the over use of the same vocal samples, drum breaks- it's lazy work IMO- some of it amazing- for instance a track like Chunkothy but others like Sentimental Hardcore are so thin- just recycled drum work and samples... It's like he whipped off a tune in 10 minutes. This album sounds more sincere.

Cool to read your impressions, I like the diversity of reactions to Ridmik on the forum. I'm also a huge acid fan, have been for a long time. For me, Ridmik is enjoyable, but amazing? Nah. When I think about AFX's Analord, Last Step, Ceephax and so on, I can't help feeling like Ridmik is much too basic for its own good. Do you think it's original acid? Acid with a unique vibe? A rewriting of what acid could be? An interpretation of acid that sticks out? I agree with you about one thing tho, Luke is getting repetitive. More and more.

I hear the thing about "recycling" same vocal and drum samples but I'm fine with it. I think Luke Vibert has a very humble way to make and release music and that's good. It sounds like he makes music without wanting it be more than it is. He's obviously very prolific and it's nice that he's managing to release lots of it. When I hear this "Luke Warm" new EP I don't think it's revolutionary but it gives me "instant" euphoria, it makes me want to dance. This idea makes me remember about a bit of this interview, where he's describing his way of releasing music, which he kinda oppose to how AFX and Squarepusher do :

You used to tour a lot with these guys in the past, is this something youre doing as often now?

Id really like to, but theyre no so into it anymore. I dont know if its a money thing or theyre a bit shyer than me. I like playing to people, always have, but theyve always had a weird, double-edged thing. I think Richard does two or three gigs a year and Tom does a few more, but theyre not really up for the big tours anymore, which is shame because wed do a month in America and a month in Australia, I fucking loved it. It does sort of take it out of you, all the drugs.

For some who see them as rather an enigma, perhaps Tom more than Richard even, how would you evaluate their characteristics?

I mean theyre both definitely artist-y, which sorts of means theyre cunts and wankers in a way, because I totally feel like that myself, although when you have kids they really kick you up the arse and you just have to forget about yourself for quite a while and concentrate on them. But yeah, theyre really good mates, and I get on with them well and know what to say and how to be, but I see so many times that people come up to them and get a bad impression and think theyre being horrible or whatever. I know its just sort of shyness and the fact that maybe they dont quite know where to put themselves when people are saying, oh, youre a genius!! Theyre really sort of sweet, down-to-earth blokes, which always surprises people when they meet them and theyre in the right kind of mood, or maybe when people say the right kind of things. But yeah, Ive seen them quite a few times at gigs, maybe when theyve not done such a good performance and got really pissed off, so they can be a bit arty farty. As an artist, you have to keep some little kernel of being a complete self-centred cunt about you, otherwise you cant really create. Theres some part of you that has to think youre the best in the world and you deserve to be treated like a god (laughs).

Surely the musics the only thing that counts at the end of the day?

Yeah, too right, especially for the listener. I think they have a harder time than me because they havent got so many aliases. It might sound stupid, but I think they think a lot more about what Aphex Twin or Squarepusher should do instead of what Richard D. James or Tom Jenkinson thinks they should do. Ive heard them both saying it, so Id say, well what do you mean, thats just you, what do YOU want to do? I sure theres loads of artists who feel like that, but Ive never really felt like that, maybe because Ive got loads of names god knows. But thats a really weird thing for me to get my head round, thinking what should I do next? I just do loads of tracks all the time and the ones I like I release, so its really simple for me.

I think Luke Vibert has a very humble way to make and release music and that's good. It sounds like he makes music without wanting it be more than it is. He's obviously very prolific and it's nice that he's managing to release lots of it. When I hear this "Luke Warm" new EP I don't think it's revolutionary but it gives me "instant" euphoria, it makes me want to dance.

Right on. I quite like Ridmik - it's not revolutionary, just some solid acid.

I like how Global Goon is doing it too with his Bandcamp/Soundcloud stuff. Just constantly putting new stuff out - some of it sticks and some of it doesn't. Not being so precious about it.

I also get the same vibe from Legowelt from this interview:

http://youtu.be/L5GDacON180?t=1m34s

Yeah totally agree about Global Goon, I also like his relaxed way of sharing music. No idea about Legowelt though, don't really know this artist.

Anyway I don't see this comment of Luke Vibert about AFX and Squarepusher as a critic, more like an observation about another way of being as a musician. I can easily believe how they both (RDJ & TJ) can be concerned about their output in a kinda obsessive way (personally I feel the same with music making), I don't think you can see as something bad, it's just a way to be.

If those artists were not like that (and with them tons of important artists) they probably wouldn't have produce the masterpieces that we know from them.

Just got this on CD and I'm liking this album more every time I listen to it. Last saturday on RSD a few full tracks of this were being played in one of the bigger recordshops of Amsterdam, and it gave me a big smile + it was nice to see the whole crowd noddin' their heads to these tight dirty acid tunes. Too bad I already ordered it on CD because I saw the vinyl version everywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived