IGNORED

Luke Vibert - Ridmik

Herr Jan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the album. First time in the last 15 years that I am disappointed by Luke. I'm a huge fan of Rhythm and We hear you and I was expecting something at least as good as those two. Well, this is a different approach by Luke. Very naked and minimal. No samples, no spoken word. No 'fun' side to it, no psychedelic references. Very simple beats. Sounds almost like a serious Luke, but a bit too backward for me. It doesn't sound fresh. The first time I heard We hear you, it was such a varied album that went into many directions, with many styles on board. This one follows about the same recipe from a to z. Just my first listening session tho. Feels like he's back to Yoseph. Kinda been there, done that overall. I hope it will grow on me. The song you heard in this thread is a honest representation of the whole album.

Well sad but true, we're in 2014, most records come out online way before their official release date, Vibert included. I will buy it like every other Vibert album I own. I'm just slightly disappointed. Don't go into this album with any strong expectation, that was my mistake.

Guest MastaN8

sorry isn't this out on the 17th?

See Honkey translation:

Im checking this out now... Its sort of a Fat sluggish Ace of clubs/Rubber Chunks with a Chicago Detroit Redruth/Matetron thing. Which means its fucking lush and swollen as fuck. Im digging the loss of samples! i mean come on hes been recycling most of them since Tally ho up to Rhythm. Dont get me wrong I love cheese but im not missing the samples.

See Honkey translation:

Im checking this out now... Its sort of a Fat sluggish Ace of clubs/Rubber Chunks with a Chicago Detroit Redruth/Matetron thing. Which means its fucking lush and swollen as fuck. Im digging the loss of samples! i mean come on hes been recycling most of them since Tally ho up to Rhythm. Dont get me wrong I love cheese but im not missing the samples.

lol

I'll reserve my judgement for when I hear the full release.

Guest MastaN8

See Honkey translation:

lol

I'll reserve my judgement for when I hear the full release.

Dont judge it by the track posted earlier. probably the weakest track on the lp imo

stephen, it leaked. spare me the sermon about leaked releases, i've heard it.

digging what i'm hearing here ( :wub: vibert), will purchase when available :music:

proceeds to preach about leaked releases

why can't you just wait my impatient friend? why you make download? so illegal... such bad. great unethical. sincere stepgenH

Hey Mastan, glad you like it. I also get a vibe from his Chicago Detroit output for sure, but I feel like it was more varied in terms of style back then. Even Toomorrow, while not my fave Wagon album, was multidimensional. I just miss the outlandish, exotic, psychedelic Luke on this one. After both Rhythm and We hear you, I was expecting that swing & groove, you know? Would you agree that this one feels more skeletal? Less layers, less variation, less complexity, etc.

Also, I don't know why people keep saying Luke's music is cheesy. Celine Dion is very cheesy, but Luke Vibert, Plug, Wagon Christ? I think there is just no name for his sense of humor in electronic music, it's very unusual, very rare among his peers, so people call it cheesy because his music doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I remember him saying he had tons of humoristic music that he will never release, with even more samples than usual but I for one wish he would release more stuff like that. Just open a bandcamp and sell it to those who want it. You hear me for me was just the perfect balance between compositional seriousness and fucked up weirdness. All the spoken samples added so much to it, they make the album come alive in a strange way. I feel like this new one doesn't have that kind of weirdness... Would it be his first straight album? Hahahaha.

Not a bad album at all... Just not what I was expecting. Don't want to give you bad vibes about it. YosepH meets Ace of Club meets Kerrier District under the Luke Vibert moniker. Strangely, I am listening to the album and Acage got me for the first time. Very cool and relaxed song. I guess it works within the context of the album.

Guest MastaN8

Hey Mastan, glad you like it. I also get a vibe from his Chicago Detroit output for sure, but I feel like it was more varied in terms of style back then. Even Toomorrow, while not my fave Wagon album, was multidimensional. I just miss the outlandish, exotic, psychedelic Luke on this one. After both Rhythm and We hear you, I was expecting that swing & groove, you know? Would you agree that this one feels more skeletal? Less layers, less variation, less complexity, etc.

Yeah definitely more skeletal and minimal. I know what you're saying about toomorrow, we here you etc. those albums were chock full of samples and vary in styles and tones frequently. Almost to the point where a non vibert fan would get turned off by the ADHD/schizophrenic style swings. Now the way I look at it is this is a album more in the vein of Ace of Clubs, which I was a big fan of, it's more minimal, yes, but it also shows Luke can hang on his own without falling back on samples. I know recently a lot of people were getting burnt out on the sample styles he was bringing recently here on watmm... I'm just happy he's releasing new stuff cause when it rains it pours (meaning he usually releases 5 albums at a time so there's bound to be something for every flavor of vibert fan)

You're right, hopefully we'll be getting a solid dose of different releases from him. In this case, this album would make sense. I wish Mike would give him another chance on planet mu, since You hear me was definitely a strong album. I think its public knowledge that Paradinas gets to pretty much choose the songs he wants on most albums he releases, so I guess he's got taste when it comes to browsing through Luke's archives.

Is it just me or the production itself of Ridmik is also different from his recent releases? I've been listening to the last Wagon and Plug albums these last few days, just to test this assumption. And they sound a lot better than Ridmik. Of course, that's a very personal statement, but this new album is like going back to the basics for Luke. Almost sounds like a demo or something that could have been expanded into a "full" album. I mean, it must be intentional, Luke has more than 20 years of experience as a producer. But why would he go for that kind of thin sounding production? To make it more old-school acid? To make it sound like it could have been released in '93? I don't get it.

This sound a lot like physical gear. He said recently that most of his work now is on a pc and no analogue stuff at all.

Maybe these are old tracks, or he's really good at making lush sounds on pc.

Archived