IGNORED

D'Arcangelo The Album, why MP3 only?

Parsifal

So I got D'Arcangelos The Album which I've somehow missed (listening to it for the first time now, sounds good!), maybe because the release was MP3 only. Does anyone have any idea why they would make it an MP3-only release (specifically, why no lossless as other Rephex albums)? I would think licensing/something-or-other but according to discogs this is the only version: http://www.discogs.com/DArcangelo-The-Album/release/2064130

Just kind of curious about the business behind it all.

So I got D'Arcangelos The Album which I've somehow missed (listening to it for the first time now, sounds good!), maybe because the release was MP3 only. Does anyone have any idea why they would make it an MP3-only release (specifically, why no lossless as other Rephex albums)? I would think licensing/something-or-other but according to discogs this is the only version: http://www.discogs.com/DArcangelo-The-Album/release/2064130

Just kind of curious about the business behind it all.

Answer = Rephlex: their 'business' mantra makes little to no sense, particularly where digital releases are concerned.

Had to do with the new Rephlex website/webshop back in '09. When that was released they promoted it with some new albums that were digital only (I guess purely for the promotion of the site), a Wisp one, a D'Arcangelo one, Aleksi Perala's Mental Union and Jodey Kendrick's Plus Ten were also digital-only until it got released on CD a while later.

This one deserves a CD/vinyl release too though, great album!

Yeah I understand why you would put out an album as download only, but lots of them had lossless versions while this one didn't. But I probably shouldn't think too much about how those CRA-HAAZY guys at Rephlex do things.

Archived