IGNORED

Monitors.

pcock

• 1 month later...

Amphion One15 + Amp100 + cables ordered. I should receive them on Tuesday, can't wait!

I would love to keep the APS Coax as well, but unfortunately I can't, so I'm likely to be selling them soon. If anyone's interested, drop me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

I just learnt now that Gibson Les Paul monitors exist:

ReviewLesPaulMonitorsImage1.jpg

Even if they sound good, this is conceptually pretty fucking retarded.

not as good as my Stradivarius soundcard

• 5 months later...

Hey watmm,

can anyone recommend me some pretty deece monitors for DJ'ing at home with, that aren't KRK's?  Ideally I don't wanna spend more than €200, I just want something that is good to listen to music on essentially.  I'll probably go 2nd hand, but it's been years since I listened to music on anything other than my actual 'studio' monitors, I have no idea what's out there.

Cheers.

I've got a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501a monitors that I've been using for a few years now that are probably in that price range...looking now maybe a tad over the budget? Perhaps in store or second hand they'd be in the price range though. They're a little lacking in highs and depth for monitor quality usage, but are very good for that price range and make great for listening as well as producing.

I got some yamaha HS50M a few months back.

Can't fault em.

Hey watmm,

can anyone recommend me some pretty deece monitors for DJ'ing at home with, that aren't KRK's? Ideally I don't wanna spend more than €200, I just want something that is good to listen to music on essentially. I'll probably go 2nd hand, but it's been years since I listened to music on anything other than my actual 'studio' monitors, I have no idea what's out there.

Cheers.

Alesis mk2

Hey watmm,

can anyone recommend me some pretty deece monitors for DJ'ing at home with, that aren't KRK's?  Ideally I don't wanna spend more than €200, I just want something that is good to listen to music on essentially.  I'll probably go 2nd hand, but it's been years since I listened to music on anything other than my actual 'studio' monitors, I have no idea what's out there.

Cheers.

why not grab a wee hifi setup? i always think they sound much nicer than monitors. monitors arent really meant to sound ''nice'' but accurate and revealing. the auto-eq enhancements on cheapish hifi's usually make stuff sound much nicer to me. 

wharfdale bookshelfs and a second hand camridge audio amp could be picked up for 250 im sure. 

jbl lsr305

yes!

i did a lot of research and i'm set on these. going to buy  them soon

seconded, I bought some of these recently and they're awesome for the size/price

quick side question;

the alesis mk2's I have here don't go below 50hz, what would be a good subwoofer speaker to go with it and how would you connect it to a mixer, such set-up / should the mixer have a special output for the sub? subN00b  :cisfor:

quick side question;

the alesis mk2's I have here don't go below 50hz, what would be a good subwoofer speaker to go with it and how would you connect it to a mixer, such set-up / should the mixer have a special output for the sub? subN00b  :cisfor:

This is probably a shit answer but I've read that trying to match subwoofers with your monitors properly is a hell of a task if you want that the result will sound accurate. So all in all it's probably cheaper just to get new monitors that have the bass response you're looking for.

But if you want to go through with it, it seems you need a crossover mixer like this (https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/dbx_223_xs.htm?ref=search_rslt_crossover_264753_1) or some kind of hack to split the audio into 50Hz+ stereo and 50Hz- mono inside your computer or whatever is generating sound. And a subwoofer (https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/fostex_pm_submini_2.htm). But after all that you'd need to really carefully mix and match with the setup so that your low frequencies will be more or less accurate. And looking at the prices here it seems you'd still be better off if you just got a new pair of monitors.

Edit: I guess this box would do the trick too: https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/the_box_hpf1.htm?ref=search_rslt_crossover_170808

Edited by thawkins

quick side question;

This is probably a shit answer but I've read that trying to match subwoofers with your monitors properly is a hell of a task if you want that the result will sound accurate. So all in all it's probably cheaper just to get new monitors that have the bass response you're looking for.

But if you want to go through with it, it seems you need a crossover mixer like this (https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/dbx_223_xs.htm?ref=search_rslt_crossover_264753_1) or some kind of hack to split the audio into 50Hz+ stereo and 50Hz- mono inside your computer or whatever is generating sound. And a subwoofer (https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/fostex_pm_submini_2.htm). But after all that you'd need to really carefully mix and match with the setup so that your low frequencies will be more or less accurate. And looking at the prices here it seems you'd still be better off if you just got a new pair of monitors.

Edit: I guess this box would do the trick too: https://www.thomann.de/intl/jp/the_box_hpf1.htm?ref=search_rslt_crossover_170808

Ah yes, the world of crossovers, forgot about it, thanks for the info/links, will investigate. Yep, probably better to get speakers that can go lower by itself, though I mostly mix on headphones anyway, always irks me listening back on these I miss the stomach churners. 

quick side question;

Speaking of crossovers, I plan to get one to use as a poor man's multiband distortion/fx unit by splitting the signal up into different frequency ranges and running through fx pedals and shit and then going back into a mixer. I haven't done this yet but, I want to..... Multiband distortion is my favorite effect and being able to do it in hardware with whatever pedals I would want, saturation, overdrive, etc. and mixxing it back wet/dry in the mastering chain(or on certain tracks) would be fucking cool. I think I could get some really awesome results from it.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes, the world of crossovers, forgot about it, thanks for the info/links, will investigate. Yep, probably better to get speakers that can go lower by itself, though I mostly mix on headphones anyway, always irks me listening back on these I miss the stomach churners. 

If it's for listening and you don't need accuracy much then I say go for it if you want to. Use your ears and all the tunes you like and know to set up the relative levels and you should be golden.

I know what you mean about missing the bass - my first monitors were Edirol MA-10D and when I finally got my "real" Yamaha HS80Ms everything clicked into place.