IGNORED

Monitors.

pcock

So, my setup is nearing completion, got all the plugins I love, a bunch of awesome synths(prophet 08, waldorf pulse 2, korg dw-800, virus-b, ms-2000, verona lancet kick, machinedrum-uw), a nice powerful pc, nice soundcard(saffire proplus28 i/o)

but

im still on krk rokit 5's that i have kicked fuck out of partying at redline full volume for two years, I literally have no idea if the horrible crackling thump I hear from the bass is because the krks are distorting, or im pushing my sound too much on ableton. so

with a budget of 800-1000 pounds (1500 dollars?) what does watmm think is the tits for monitors right now.

im looking at genelecs and adams, and ive been in the store to check them out, but frankly in the ten minutes i get in my local store, with acoustics nothing like my room, ive no idea.

i looked on gearslutz, but literally those guys just argue about tiny frequency differences for pages, and everyone likes something completely different.

so what does watmm think, for that price. im producing bass heavy, dark, twisted techno.

I think you could do A7x with a mackie sub. Maybe you're used to not having a sub to mix your stuff but it's pretty handy for bass stuff. And since you're a party type you could abuse it too.

I love my APS Coax's. A bit shy on bass but so useful and accurate from 55/60Hz ! It's quite a pleasure do mix on them.

Anyway, whatever monitors you may end buying, try to sort out a demo (and preferably a properly burnt-in) pair for a week or so in your own room. That's the only way to know if you'll like them or not.

I use focal cms40s with the analogues and like them, for that budget you could get their bigger brothers, or just outside your budget would be K&H 120s, haven't heard them but good rep.

They are pretty glorious, they also showed up an enormous amount of shitty mixing in my old tracks, so im hoping that this is a new era of getting my mixes sounding sweet.

they pretty much showed me ive been putting way to much squelchy -80/70hz bass rumbling around that i couldnt hear on the krks.

spent all day listening to other people music aswell, they are basically just the tits. although for 950 quid, they fuckin better have been to be fair.

They are pretty glorious, they also showed up an enormous amount of shitty mixing in my old tracks, so im hoping that this is a new era of getting my mixes sounding sweet.

Had a similar experience when I bought my Adams last year (another WATMM recommendation), couldn't believe some of the shitty mixes I'd done! Having had new monitors for 6 months now I think I can honestly say the standard of my mixes has really increased. You'll love it.

will do at some point, ive been rocking a 10 quid samsung for 5 years though and have no intention of upgrading, so il have to remember when i get an iphone friend round. finally feel complete though, if i cant make the stuff i want with this setup, then i just cant make the stuff i want i guess.

deleted facebook yesterday anyway, so productivity is on the way

• 3 months later...

Bumping an old thread so I can ask a question, like a good boy

I am selling my krk5 rokits and planning to upgrade, I really need more low end, and I know that I should get a sub. Soo. In your opinion(s) - What should I do? Should I keep the krk5's and add a matching sub, or just get beastly 8's. The room I record in is pretty spacious and I feel like I really have to crank the 5's to get a decent volume level out of them.

And just to avoid it, no my preamp/interface is not broken, I just like mixing very loudly.

Guest skibby

i got the yamaha hs50m because i cared about translation. now i no longer care about translation so i will probably get some 6" and a sub next time. it almost doesnt matter, as long as they arent scooped or something. the room is everything though. standing waves and crap will nullify any merits 'nice' monitors provide. i use headphones more and more during times when others might be disturbed. if i had anechoic chamber, i would pump out the air and learn to hear with my eyes.

I am selling my krk5 rokits and planning to upgrade, I really need more low end, and I know that I should get a sub. Soo. In your opinion(s) - What should I do? Should I keep the krk5's and add a matching sub, or just get beastly 8's. The room I record in is pretty spacious and I feel like I really have to crank the 5's to get a decent volume level out of them.

And just to avoid it, no my preamp/interface is not broken, I just like mixing very loudly.

The guy I produce with has the 8's and I don't like them (especially when I've been working on my Adams), they colour the bottom end; both in terms of perceived loudness and also I've noticed an amazing lack of clarity. Good for listening to stuff, I mean it is impressive how low they go, but mixing on, no thanks. Having said that, I've not fully got to grips with setting up a nice 2.1 set up so I can't say how they compare. But I'd rather go for some nice flat 6" and a sub than a bigger stereo pair.

But yeah, usual caveats of room/stands etc apply.

The guy I produce with has the 8's and I don't like them (especially when I've been working on my Adams), they colour the bottom end; both in terms of perceived loudness and also I've noticed an amazing lack of clarity. Good for listening to stuff, I mean it is impressive how low they go, but mixing on, no thanks. Having said that, I've not fully got to grips with setting up a nice 2.1 set up so I can't say how they compare. But I'd rather go for some nice flat 6" and a sub than a bigger stereo pair.

Any particular 6" and sub combo you'd reccomend?

and yeah, my KRK's sound like shit compared to my buddies A5's, the clarity is shit when comparing the two.

Any particular 6" and sub combo you'd reccomend?

and yeah, my KRK's sound like shit compared to my buddies A5's, the clarity is shit when comparing the two.

Sorry not really. Like I say, I've never really got to grips with a 2.1 setup enough to recommend so I have no idea. Try searching woofer or something, I have read people in here mentioning subs.

Edited by b born droid

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoveRhino

If you haven't decided yet I'd go for Genelec 8030a. I did a weeks worth of testing them and Focal SM50s. G's won out. Great speakers. I love them.

I'd actually take no one's word for it and try as many as you can in your own studio. Most reputable sellers will let you run them in your own environment for a week.

i am massively happy with my genelec m040's 3 months in. they are nice, tight, loud, good amount of bass, they look sexy, and overall well worth it.

ive just plumped down for jbl LSR308 's

i'll do some kind of mini review you probably cant trust in a day or 2

Edited by lala

do monitors come in pairs most of the time?

From recently(ish) looking at getting monitors, it seems like the more expensive they are the less likely they're sold in pairs !

I live in a flat with a thin ceiling and a family living above so I can't really have anything too meaty so the little ones I got are fine. Mostly mix on my 'phones.

Monitors really bother my ears due to my tinnitus and (what I think is) ETD. Something to do with the proximity of near field monitors even at low volume. I had to return a pair recently