IGNORED

How did you change your life?

Frank Poole

I have not changed and therefor in an awful rut and don't know where I'll end up. I know what I need to do to correct my trajectory but can't make the effort. It's all my fault when it all crashes down and I am down and out with no prospects both personally, socially and professionally.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

confirmed taking the piss, SR4 diagnosed with permanent sarcosis.

Quite a beautiful metamorphosis.

thank you.

quite honestly, other than adieu i have always found you all to be ignorant fools unaware of your own cisgender and cisweighted privileges.

maybe its time you think about all of those.

#foodforthought

on a serious note, I'm pretty sure my behavior in the transgender thread made ZoeB leave watmm. So handle your cisweighted privileges with care, kids!

LOL she was very patient in that thread. I think my quasi-trolling made Iain C leave. He threw a hissy fit and never came back.

Please post any significant moments in your life that have completely changed your perspective on how you live and what decisions you make on a day to day basis.

after 30 years of back to front and wet wipes, I've started to incorporate front to back in the mix, changed my perspective on all kinds of shit..

Change is a constant process(BoC even made a song about it). You are never done developing. It's everlasting. Once you stop feeling the need to develop, you decay.

Examples:

Once you graduate, you don't know shit. You need a skillset.

That skill set needs constant work to keep up to date

Once you lose weight, you need to work hard to keep that weight off.

Once you quit smoking, you need to be vigilant for that one weak moment.

Same goes for any sort drugs, although that requires a certain mindset.

Emotional development is the same.

Life doesn't owe you shit. It gave you life. Now it's yours to develop. Get rid off silly dreams, impossible expectations and privileged demands. Get real, be real. No one likes a faker.

Discipline. Will. Love. Perseverance. Those are some of the pillars I am rebuilding my life on.

I have not changed and therefor in an awful rut and don't know where I'll end up. I know what I need to do to correct my trajectory but can't make the effort. It's all my fault when it all crashes down and I am down and out with no prospects both personally, socially and professionally.

maybe you need a traumatic shock to take action, à la tyler durden.

When I was on the cusp of turning 21 I decided to sell my sizable video game collection as up until that time I was invested in it, both financially and emotionally, to an alarming degree and knew that if I continued on that path it would end up a breeding-ground for regret, which terrified me.

I made over 4K selling it on eBay and then turned around and spent nearly the same amount on physical copies of Warp/Skam/Rephlex albums (I was just then getting heavily into left-field electronica), which is a trade that I still stand behind as it ultimately inspired me to learn piano and start producing my own music years down the road.

Around the same time period I visited a gay bar by myself which represented the beginning of a fairly substantial period of self-discovery. I had never even been to a club or bar on either end of the spectrum so it was most certainly a 'baptism by fire' sort of idea.

I went through highschool knowing I was gay but acting completely asexual. I didn't feel like there was anyone I could talk to about it within my social sphere (a notion that I would soon learn was egregiously inaccurate) and felt plenty of unrequited longing for certain people and certain philosophies pertaining to stepping outside of one's comfort zone. So going to that bar, sitting awkwardly in the corner and eventually working up the courage to dance with another man to 'Hung Up' and 'Call On Me' represented far more than the sum of it's parts.

During this period of fledgling romances, break-ups, flings and general emotional tumult I was listening to 'Surfing On Sine Waves' loads which has resulted in said album, hilariously, bringing back all that torrent of memories and feelings whenever I put it on!

So to sum it up 04/05 was a definitely a major personal tectonic shift.

Yay [: stories of reaching comfort with sexuality always make me happy. Maybe because I still don't entirely know what's up with mine.

My biggest recent change was admitting that I need pro help for depression and getting therapy. I got lucky, NYC has a great program for people with shitty or no insurance and found someone I really like on the first try. Right now I'm away for work for an extended period and I miss the therapy a lot. It's such a relief to not be both the doctor and the patient. And it helped me realize that while I can do a lot to help myself in bad times it's not always my fault when they come on. I tend to beat myself up about feeling bad which as you can guess is pretty cyclical.

I'm glad you're getting what you need A/D. It sucks being broke and needing professional help.

I feel that trying to get a good diet and exercise really helped my depression. It at least keeps it in check. When shit gets bad, it's only so-so now.

I'm glad you're getting what you need A/D. It sucks being broke and needing professional help.

I feel that trying to get a good diet and exercise really helped my depression. It at least keeps it in check. When shit gets bad, it's only so-so now.

totally. i practice the same idea. and i feel alot better than i did some years ago.

yeah I hear you

I wonder what would happen if I got a different job. I get by as mailman, so I'm pretty healthy.. also mentally I really notice it does something to me to walk around for a few hours each day. got me through some difficult times, and I haven't been sick in years. but it's a struggle against boredom sometimes + need more cashmoney.

Guest Pennywise

I looked at myself in the mirror for 4 hours and decided that I wanted to become a mirror salesman. Now I'm living that dream.

I looked at myself in the mirror for 4 hours and decided that I wanted to become a mirror salesman. Now I'm living that dream.

well at least the guy in the mirror is cool with it...

well at least the guy man in the mirror is cool with it...

Michael-Jackson-hand-in-glove.jpg

this is gonna sound kind of lame but when i started listening to stuff like aphex twin and black dog my whole life changed, it opened my mind to some many things and concepts, it even made want to pursue an artistic and productive life.

Another thing that changed my life was my mild adderall addiction, the anxiety it induced was so bad that it forced my to do exercise and lead healthy(er) life

Archived