IGNORED

How did you change your life?

Frank Poole

For a while I felt completely unlikeable and basically isolated myself from my friends and lost many of them. This feeling has affected my relationships and caused trust issues where I always expect the worst from people.

still like this.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I get moments all the time that change my view of life, or how I think. How I act moves more slowly, which I guess is a bit more important. The most recent change in thought was probably when I heard a lecture on abductive reasoning and realized that it very much matched my current thought patterns regarding what should be considered to be true out of the unprovable. It helped solidify into words many of the scattered idea in my head.

Overall, computer science, especially computer science theory, has greatly affected how I think. I think the greatest points of change in action are when I recognize that I am worth something and cared about even when I fuck up, and that thinking that I'm worthless for not being able to meet some sort of standard of perfection is actually a form of pride.

Riding the suburban bus.

Looking into people's faces.

Crying in public because I'm good at thinking about sad/true things.

Walking into the woods on a particularly haunted night without a flashlight.

Wearing a wrist watch so I don't have to take out my phone to check the time and risk being jettisoned through the portal to the cyber altar.

Using a legal pad and basic Bic pen to write, inside of 24 hr fast food establishments.

Realizing that with kind confidence you can become friends with just about anyone. You can even make them do what you want.

Maybe it's time for me to start going to the gym before work - take advantage of my free membership. The more I think about it, the more I suspect overall sluggishness and lack of motivation in life is attributed to not getting enough exercise. Time to shed some kilos/lbs and get the endorphins going again. It's not just about looking prettier, but for overall better health and well-being.

Time to get involved with the government, who are serious about the environment.

is that a joke? If not, please explain, all I've seen is them chopping up mountainsides and chopping down trees (because 20 years is as long as it takes a tree to reach maturity, doncha know)

So I've been looking online for resources about what to do with plastic waste in the countryside with no recycling program. Do you burn it? Apparently not, because that releases dioxins. Do you make your own mini-landfill? I guess so. But I've been wondering if it's possible to make your own DIY trash compactor and turn it into "bricks" that you could then cover with stucco or something and make little houses out of. You'd think with all the hippies out there that there would be all sorts of tutorials on the web but so far I haven't see any. Kind of interesting.

maybe this is up your alley - this guy is about to open source the blueprints for this project: http://www.preciousplastic.com/

sweet! Checking it now...

Guest Shadow GriZZly
Also trying to avoid internet pr0n like the plague - I've come to the realization that there's nothing to be gained from it except computer viruses and a fucked-up perspective on life. I can't speak for everyone tho.

So true.

also, exercising every day is big too..

what's your routine bro?

I also want to start exercising everyday but I don't know what routine is the best for me. Also, I want to start eating healthier but, again, I don't understand shit about calories or good/bad cholesterol.

what's your routine bro?

I also want to start exercising everyday but I don't know what routine is the best for me. Also, I want to start eating healthier but, again, I don't understand shit about calories or good/bad cholesterol.

I suggest starting with running. cardio, generally. it's the most essential thing for stamina and well-being under duress imo, and what people also hate to do the most, it seems.

I recommend trying the couch-to-5k program, it eases you nicely into building cardio strength. a very common mistake people make when starting something like this is going too hard too fast. following a simple but realistic program like couch-to-5k ensures you ease into it at a pace your body can handle. I have an app on my phone that voices the timings during the sessions for me also, which helps.

good luck.

what's your routine bro?

I suggest starting with running. cardio, generally. it's the most essential thing for stamina and well-being under duress imo, and what people also hate to do the most, it seems.

I recommend trying the couch-to-5k program, it eases you nicely into building cardio strength. a very common mistake people make when starting something like this is going too hard too fast. following a simple but realistic program like couch-to-5k ensures you ease into it at a pace your body can handle. I have an app on my phone that voices the timings during the sessions for me also, which helps.

good luck.

neat. thanks!

think i just had a life-redirecting day -- had an interview for a job i've been hoping to get for the last few months, as far as i can tell they've accepted me, and this is a path i feel i should be on. feels good man. :flower:

think i just had a life-redirecting day -- had an interview for a job i've been hoping to get for the last few months, as far as i can tell they've accepted me, and this is a path i feel i should be on. feels good man. :flower:

sweet, what job?

Congrats, yo.

What's the job?

i have a terrible phobia of dentists. so i went to this psychiatrist. and she gave me wrong meds. and after a while i went bonkers, broke up with my fiancee of 5 years to be with someone else i didn't really know and moved away to another city. the new relationship fizzled into total madness after 2 months which left me severly depressed for a few months where i lost 20kgs and nearly got addicted to dxm and alcohol. i'm also in severe debt.

and now i know. when your teeth hurt, just go to the fucking dentist. but more seriously turning your life upside down makes you approach EVERYTHING in a different way. from shopping groceries to being in a relationship.

and yes, i still can't go to the dentist because of that fucking phobia.

what's your routine bro?

i have an elliptical that i use while i watch tv. i used to use an exercise bike but i guess i graduated. i really like the elliptical. ride it 2 hours day on average? not necessarily 2 hours at once but i take breaks, whenever i'm bored really, and it feel good when i exercise.

i have a terrible phobia of dentists. so i went to this psychiatrist. and she gave me wrong meds. and after a while i went bonkers, broke up with my fiancee of 5 years to be with someone else i didn't really know and moved away to another city. the new relationship fizzled into total madness after 2 months which left me severly depressed for a few months where i lost 20kgs and nearly got addicted to dxm and alcohol. i'm also in severe debt.

and now i know. when your teeth hurt, just go to the fucking dentist. but more seriously turning your life upside down makes you approach EVERYTHING in a different way. from shopping groceries to being in a relationship.

shit, that's whack

Also trying to avoid internet pr0n like the plague - I've come to the realization that there's nothing to be gained from it except computer viruses and a fucked-up perspective on life. I can't speak for everyone tho.

So true.

if you had saved all your jizz in a jar, you would have had something to show for it.

whoaaah, what meds did she give you?

whoaaah, what meds did she give you?

200mg sertralin a day. it worked fine for about a month and then it turned me into an asshole. after 4 months i quit and then spent 2 months recovering from it because quitting cold turkey kinda worsened everything in my head. it wasn't pretty. but at least now i know that being my regular depressed self isn't as bad as anything related to me trying to fix it. but period between march and september is something i'm not proud of.

the worst is the possibility that all my charm and wit lie in my borderline asperger-ity and when i'm normal i'm just a terrible terrible person with no soul.

Archived