IGNORED

modular.

pcock

so, i basically like to spend all my cash on synths, i never really got into records, and if i dont spend it on material stuff i love, i tend to blast it all on drinking and partying, and as fun as fun is, fun only lasts on the weekend its occurring. so, modular.

so, now i feel like ive got a decent setup, i think i want to start a modular collection. even if i dont use it, it looks fucking badass, and the taxman doesnt see it.

if anyone can be bothered, i would love to be schooled by watmm, ive been reading up myself, but i do like discussing this shit with real people.

im guessing the first step is a nice quality synthesis module?

anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^yes. This would start you off with all of the basic modules you'd need +midi control over pitch and gate and all it can interface with Euro-Rack stuff. So you can easily grow your modular by buying a Euro case and then buy modules a few at a time as you like.

No.

Ms20 uses hz/v, not v/oct, like eurorack and most other modular formats. Not a show stopper, there are workarounds, but it's not ideal.

My advice would be dive straight in. If you wanted a voice module, ie essentially a complete synth voice (vco/modulation/filter/vca)in modular format, there are better choices. Have a look at the new intellijel Atlantis, which is based on the 101.

http://www.intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/atlantis/

But there are others. Some things you need to decide on:

Case and power, allowing room for expansion.

How are you going to interface/control/sync with other gear.

What do you want to do with it. Traditional synth voice? Sequencing? Effects box? Sampling? Drones and noise?

There's no fetishisation of analogue, generally speaking, in the modular world. It's about voltage control, some of the more interesting stuff is digital, such as some of the VCDOs.

yeah MS20 is kind of a cock tease if you want a really good modular setup, totally not compatible with any other synths as far as i know. follow Mr Keith's advice, he knows the scoop.
plus the Korg filter sound imo is a little over-played at the moment, you can hear it everyone's volca jams, etc. I think it's wise to go outside of the korg world just for the time being for analog synth voice options

If you want to go the traditional subtractive synth route, Doepfer is still a pretty affordable and powerful option for most modules. I'd just make sure that you use a website like modulargrid to actually build a mockup synth with the case you imagine them going in, that way you can make absolutely sure you're economizing space and not getting modules with such a large width that you wont be able to fit a basic starter system in a single case. That website is awesome, I recommend anybody in the eurorack market to research on there heavily before making new purchases.

the Atlantis module looks like if you want to basically have an SH-101 as a single panel. Normally people with modulars combine several different modules for a similar sound, but they've conveniently put it all on a single module. At the moment the eurorack market is pretty awesome and exploding, but don't be fooled by fancy looking modules. Often times some of the best modules have the most simple and basic faceplate designs.

Yeah, doepfer is fine, and good value if you're in EU. Some of the fancier makers are on the other side of the Atlantic, so that increases costs. I'm a poseur so have a small vcdo/vco based system of intellijel/makenoise stuff sequenced from an A4, and wouldn't let doepfer stuff near it for purely aesthetic reasons, but I'm probably going to complement it with some Mutable Instruments modules, which are EU.

just got a Braids module, it's pretty amazing. How do you like sequencing from your A4? All voltage (no midi/cv) ? I've just been getting into it again and i feel like I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, seems like a lot of potential though

Guest Hanratty

I've read some good modular discussion at this site:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

I had a nord modular and loved it. but a common criticism of modular is that you spend so much time patching and making weird noises that you don't make much music. that seems like it would happen to me if I invested a bunch of money in a modular setup. I am curious about that Korg Little Bits project, I may get that just for fun.

Haven't tried any modulation from it yet, only pitch gate. I get a bit too excited sitting at my little analogue corner still and end up noodling.

This was posted earlier on muffs, all intellijel system with Atlantis, metropolis sequencer and some utility modules. Very traditional but very cute.

wFdfCfw.jpg?1

Haven't tried any modulation from it yet, only pitch gate. I get a bit too excited sitting at my little analogue corner still and end up noodling.

This was posted earlier on muffs, all intellijel system with Atlantis, metropolis sequencer and some utility modules. Very traditional but very cute.

wFdfCfw.jpg?1

did you buy the CV breakout cable kit from Elektron or are you using your own cables?

I'm wondering if there is a simple solution I've overlooked without having to use 2 adaptors before going to 2 1/8th inch cables. I was trying to use a 1/4 stereo to 1/8th headphone adapter + a stereo 1/8th inch male to 2x mono 1/8th inch female. Didn't work because the splitter went to 2x stereo :(

This was posted earlier on muffs, all intellijel system with Atlantis, metropolis sequencer and some utility modules. Very traditional but very cute.wFdfCfw.jpg?1

did you buy the CV breakout cable kit from Elektron or are you using your own cables?

I'm wondering if there is a simple solution I've overlooked without having to use 2 adaptors before going to 2 1/8th inch cables. I was trying to use a 1/4 stereo to 1/8th headphone adapter + a stereo 1/8th inch male to 2x mono 1/8th inch female. Didn't work because the splitter went to 2x stereo :(

Using my own cables with adaptors. Couldn't even get the stereo to two monos in the uk, had to get it from Germany. Didn't realise elektron had their own solution now.

I'm glad this thread has appeared as I've been mulling over dipping my toes in modular waters - in fact probably been mulling it over for a couple of years now. There just seems to be so much interesting stuff happening in the world of Eurorack. My plan is to get a Microbrute which I would use as an interface for creating gate and CV and for interfacing in and out of it's wee patch panel.

The big decision seems to be what sort of case to go for. My main initial interest would be in combining some interesting sound sources with interesting filters and interesting (but not crazy horses) modulation - basically a really bespoke synth voice. So I've considered one of those Tiptop Audio Happy Ending kit but then I wonder if I'm just painting myself into a corner with that. Perhaps it would be better to go for one of the Doepfer cases as I'll have scope to expand should I turn into one of those modular obsessives.

Any case recommendations?

Guest DerDingoBaron

The only music I've ever heard coming out of a modular was by Deadmau5 trying to prove a point to the internet that you can indeed make music with a modular :derp:

They're certainly cool though. Throw in an oscilloscope and people will think you're a mad scientist...

To anyone who's interested in modulars, I recommend watching the documentary "I Dream Of Wires", featuring like 4 hours of modular bleep sounds, talking with Dieter Doepfer and so on.

what do you think of this: starting with the best filter module that one can afford and then growing from there?

the rationale is that you could use the filter as outboard gear to mess with your in the box sounds.

The only music I've ever heard coming out of a modular was by Deadmau5 trying to prove a point to the internet that you can indeed make music with a modular

I'd recommend starting with, say, Wendy Carlos and Isao Tomita. For something more contemporary, try Hans Zimmer, Trent Reznor or even Orbital. While it's apparently easier or more fun to make endless drones (I don't know, I don't get it myself), you certainly can make great music on modulars.

what do you think of this: starting with the best filter module that one can afford and then growing from there?

the rationale is that you could use the filter as outboard gear to mess with your in the box sounds.

This is a pretty interesting starting point. I've used some of my modules as outboard gear, so it's certainly an option. It's also worth noting that the best filter for you may not necessarily be the most expensive. The first one I got, the Doepfer A-106-5 (SEM style), is still really useful to me, especially for those growling basses... It's amazing that you can buy hardware analogue multimode filters for such prices...

so, i basically like to spend all my cash on synths, i never really got into records, and if i dont spend it on material stuff i love, i tend to blast it all on drinking and partying, and as fun as fun is, fun only lasts on the weekend its occurring. so, modular.

so, now i feel like ive got a decent setup, i think i want to start a modular collection. even if i dont use it, it looks fucking badass, and the taxman doesnt see it.

if anyone can be bothered, i would love to be schooled by watmm, ive been reading up myself, but i do like discussing this shit with real people.

im guessing the first step is a nice quality synthesis module?

anyway, thoughts would be appreciated.

The first step can be anything. It only depends on what you want to do with it. If it's just about how badass it looks, aesthetics should be your main concern. Just wait until fucking Frames by Mutable Instruments is released. I myself love the VCA Matrix by 4ms. There's a thread @ Muff Wiggler about modules that make the best light show. Intellijel, Mutable Instruments make the most beautiful modules IMO but I actually got only Make Noise modules yet because of their functionnalities. I'll get the fancy blinking modules later ;)

If you do want to make music (everoyne's entitled to their weird desires) you should watch videos on vimeo (more quality demos there than on youtube) and identify the modules that most inspire you. You could get a voice module such as the Atlantis but you could as well get a Phonogene, a FM radio module and a Maths to process audio rather than synthesize it. The beauty of modulars is that you design your instrument.

I keep looking at the dubmix, but it's overkill for my modest system. How are you using it?

Going slowly is a good idea, but I would hold off until you can get a decent, basic single voice going, I.e osc, modulator, filter, otherwise you're missing out on a lot of what modular is about and you'll get frustrated. A good route is build up a 2/3osc voice, then some sequencing/ interaction, and then you're going to have a good idea where you want to go next.

Also if you want to hear what a decent eurorack setup can do other than farting insect noises, listen to the last Holden album.

You can knock out surprisingly musical stuff on a modular, it's just that most of the demos of people with modulars on Youtube are all robots in space, or so it seems.

Anyway here's some acid on the Serge:

http://www.splitradix.com/serge_sample.mp3

And here's some classic "dicking around just making crazy noises" on the Serge:

http://www.splitradix.com/serge_evans_jam.mp3

http://www.splitradix.com/oldio/serge_messing.mp3

And some electro type thing with just the Serge filter self resonating:

http://www.splitradix.com/oldio/serge_filter.mp3

The main synth line in this was the Serge also, messing with the wave multipliers:

http://www.splitradix.com/oldio/shuffledemo.mp3

Archived