IGNORED

modular.

pcock

I want to use a filter module to use as a send effect,

What do you need to watch out for in terms of frying things? Will a headphone level signal damage a module? In other words, what are the standard voltage numbers to use as a guideline when introducing outside sources? Are there modules made for that purpose?

Also, if I want a module that can turn midi into CV (freq, velo, on/off, etc.) What should be used for that? I want to use a D-50 as a midi controller.

I definitely remember using a Doepfer filter on a rendered Orchestron track in Reaper, so is certainly doable. The process was something longwinded, like rendering it in Reason, importing it into Reaper, sending it via an Edirol FA-101 to a Doepfer module as an insert effect or whatever equivalent Reaper has, tweaking the cutoff point live, and recording the result back in. There was a bit of lag in the whole process, which Nina assures me is my fault. It was terribly messy, but the end result was nice, and the listener won't know or care how inelegant the setup was. :) Anyway, that worked well with whatever the FA-101 inputs and outputs.

I guess, if you have the means, you could hook up an oscillator designed to work with that filter to an oscilloscope and measure its peak voltages. They draw plus and minus 12 V from the power rails, so it's going to be less than that, at any rate. I'm not sure offhand how much less. I could probably perform such a test if you'd like.

There are preamp type modules to boost outside-equipment levels into the modular system's range, but I believe that's more for things like getting speech into vocoders and the like. Microphones don't generate much electricity, after all. My vocoder modules are the only ones where simply plugging in a sound recorder/player or breakout box hasn't been sufficient for what I'm doing, I believe.

As for the MIDI to CV converter, there are a few to choose from. I believe the Kenton range is quite popular. I held out for a second hand MCV-24, myself, but it took a while for one to appear on the secondhand market.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks!

but let me clarify on my desired application: I have a couple fm synths that i want to 'analogify' with filters, i guess i stated things wrongly when I said 'send effect.' I guess what I meant is I want to use filter modules as outboard effects in a signal chain that originates more or less out of the box.

also I have a D50 and I was curious what i could do if i routed the midi out into some CV/gate action, and control the filter with an envelope .

So, for that patch, I reckon I need at least a Midi to CV/Gate, a Filter, and a VCA/envelope? What about getting the output of the D50 (or an FM synth) into the filter? Does that take boosting or attenuating? Do I need a multimeter so I dont fry the modules?

Just get the Moogerfooger, like I said. Fantastic sounding filter that you can plug any synth/drum machine/guitar/whatever straight into.

If you want to go the modular route, you need a cabinet with power supply, a module for scaling the input signal (the Doepfer one also generates an envelope based on amplitude, like the Moogerfooger does), a VCA to scale the signal back up, and the actual filter module. If you want to have better control over the envelope, you need an ADSR module and a MIDI to CV/gate module, like you said.

the moogerfooger sounds like a great piece of kit, no doubt, but i think i have to get started on a eurorack case first.

i've been checking out the various filters that are out there,and i wanted to get a few different ones and be able to analogify some otherwise raspy sounding units.

the moogerfooger sounds like a great piece of kit, no doubt, but i think i have to get started on a eurorack case first.

i've been checking out the various filters that are out there,and i wanted to get a few different ones and be able to analogify some otherwise raspy sounding units.

The mutable instruments ripples is great ! nice "liquid sound" analog filter. (and it's made in france :cisfor: )

That one sounds really nice, filterFM is definitely something I want to do, nice price too. on a side note though, don't most modular filters have FM ability?

That one sounds really nice, filterFM is definitely something I want to do, nice price too. on a side note though, don't most modular filters have FM ability?

Most modular filters (or at least certainly a lot) have several CV inputs for the cutoff point, the first to set it overall, and additional ones to modify it somehow. I'm not sure why Ripples' second CV input for the cutoff point is labeled FM in particular. As a guess, I'd imagine it might be to emphasise that it's linear instead of exponential, or that it's bipolar, but the manual doesn't specify either of those, so that's just speculation on my part. Maybe it's neither?

Edit: after skimming the manual again, it looks like it is indeed bipolar.

Additional edit: oh, wait, no it's not, the signal looks like it's probably unipolar after all, but having its polarity set by the knob... So yeah, I have no idea, sorry.

im going for slow growth, first purchase will be a diy psu-rail kit unless...

i wonder why a computer psu cant be modded to supply the proper voltage for a modular synth. theres got to be a cheaper way to make a case and power supply for less than 200 dollars/quid

is there something like a bitcrusher on hardware modular synths? You know, the effect is basically rounding off to the nearest value to some extent so you can turn rising envelopes into these mutant arpeggios

And to reduce the samplerate, a sample and hold module. :) As per the Nyquist theorem, you can then remove the staircase effect using a lowpass filter at half the samplerate, thus entirely defying the point! :D But, you know, you probably wouldn't...

If you wish your sampler had a lower bit depth for a higher noise level, simply record the sample quieter and then normalise it afterwards.

As for that lowpass filter... if I understand this correctly (which is doubtful), it's essentially the same thing as a slew limiter. Which is just mad.

I haven't really read through this thread but i thought i'd drop some advice having been into modular for a while - and watched the whole euro market explode.

Think about it a lot before you dive in and also try not to get caught up in hype. The eurorack modular market is a expensive toy shop for adults which will most likely not help you progress your music creation. Worst case is that you will most likely you will drop a lot of cash, sell off all your other assets to buy modular and then realise you got sucked into hype of modular and are back at square one with nothing to show for it except a noise and light box.

I love my system but I hardly spent anything on it since it was all diy - but from my experience my music creation slowed down as soon as I started in the modular world.

I haven't really read through this thread but i thought i'd drop some advice having been into modular for a while - and watched the whole euro market explode.

Think about it a lot before you dive in and also try not to get caught up in hype. The eurorack modular market is a expensive toy shop for adults which will most likely not help you progress your music creation. Worst case is that you will most likely you will drop a lot of cash, sell off all your other assets to buy modular and then realise you got sucked into hype of modular and are back at square one with nothing to show for it except a noise and light box.

I love my system but I hardly spent anything on it since it was all diy - but from my experience my music creation slowed down as soon as I started in the modular world.

This is why I'm pretty hesitant to jump in with both feet. It seems like it would really exacerbate my worst musical tendencies.

Someday I might like to get one of those Moogerfooger signal processor things though, depending on how my Microbrute adventures go (mine is supposed to arrive today). And maybe the delay, or some other (cheaper) CV controlled table-top BBD. To me, voltage control is really cool but dropping all my money on a modular that will do < 1% of what Max or even my Micro Modular can do seems pretty ridiculous. My budget and free time just won't allow it. Plus table top boxes just seem more fun to me.

unfortunately this is some hard truth. I don't know very many modular owners who actually release or make any finished music at all to be honest. Usually it's the people who are already on a productive trajectory musically speaking. IF you find yourself not inspired or not feeling creative, highly doubtful a modular synth is going to snap you out of it.

like i said in another thread, i have been staring at a computer screen for 14 years and thats a big reason why i'm playing with OTB gear otherwise I would buy the excellent sounding Cytomic Drop filter instead of trying to make my own instrument by combining the D50 with an envelope following filter or three.

another question for the modular folks, what sort of module is usually the last one in the chain before the A to D ?

vca is usually okay since you can limit the output voltage to your AD / soundcard - there are dedicate output modules but modular being modular you can use a variety of things. the only real case where an output module is needed is if you have to convert your plug type like banana to quarter inch / small jack etc

Guest skibby

Wow mcbpete!

that Philteroid... I love it but it goes to some crazy self oscillation that won't recover sometimes, totally randomly. only thing that fixes it is closing it and reopening it. buggy as hell, wish they would fix it, cause its awesome.

Guest skibby

just needs one itty bitty panic button is all. makes me want to summon the dsp forces. wish they would sell this one or at least accept donations.

im going for slow growth, first purchase will be a diy psu-rail kit unless...

i wonder why a computer psu cant be modded to supply the proper voltage for a modular synth. theres got to be a cheaper way to make a case and power supply for less than 200 dollars/quid

firstly computer psus are not ideal as they are switching instead of linear. this means they switch to drop the voltage and this can create noise and problems in your system, second you need a psu which provides the correct voltage for your system - if euro rack that is regulated +12/-12dv and maybe +5dc. Spend $$ on a good psu as it makes everything go and act stable.

Archived