IGNORED

Best carts/needles for in-home DJ setup?

Guest Deep Fried Everything

Guest Deep Fried Everything

So I've got 2 1200's and a nice mixer, and have been using Orotofon Concorde Pros (black) on both for .. 2 years? I'm at the point where both styli are totally worn and need immediate replacement, so I'm wondering.. are there better carts that I could be using, in terms of quality and under $100 each (or $200 total)?

The setup is used for recreational listening and occasionally I do record mixes, so I want it to sound (quite) good. Any recommendations?

I don't DJ either.

I think the only real competitor in terms of integrated cartridge/headshell designs like the Ortofon Concorde is the Shure Whitelabel. It's supposed to offer similar tracking at a much lower tracking force (and thus possibly less record wear). Worth a look.

The styli on all of the different Concordes and OMs are interchangeable so you could get any one you like as long as it's rugged enough to mix with. Maybe get the regular gray/silver Pro styli (the tip is spherical like the black Pro S stylus but narrower) for a little boost in quality. Or an elliptical like the Nightclub/Broadcast/... even the Arkiv should work (despite its name, the cartridge and stylus specs are definitely also DJ friendly and it's not that different from the others).

Ellipticals should give you better tracking and more high frequencies, but I've never heard one that didn't freak out at least a little over sibilant sounds (whereas a spherical usually doesn't sound as detailed but also smooths out the harshness). That could be down to taste, idiosyncrasy or some other shortcoming of my setup of course.

Guest murphythecat8

with the TT 1200, I also have one. the best bang for the buck cart is a denon dl 103. its a cart ahrd to beat at any price. you have to pay 1000$ to get a significant improvement

cheers

Archived