IGNORED

Squarepusher X Z-MACHINES - Music For Robots

cear

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

the guitar sound fast but the drumming sounds pretty slow for []

infact this does sound tame for []. i guess he was trying to make them "emotional" rather than use their speed to go mental

look forward to hearing more

Guest mrgypsum

seems interesting, at first i thought it was only one track actually performed by the robots, but its the entire ep? i wonder if this is just the experimentation phase, perhaps over time composers like pusher could really come up with something brilliant via the robots.

Let's have Tom's robots vs Richard's swinging pianos / disco balls thing. Then they can both sit in the audience and watch their own show!

I know a lot of the Aphex and Squarepusher of the late 90s was labeled as gimmicky(super fast drums, bouncing balls, etc) at the time, but performance art shit like this is making it harder and harder not to see it that way myself these days. I really hope the music is interesting at least.

Guest bitroast

It's compositions written by squarepusher??

Is there really that massive a difference between songs written on a computer being fed through synths, and songs being written on a computer being performed by mechanical instruments playing live instruments ??

How is this gimmicky or in any way a bullshit premise, coming from someone who composed experimental electronic music !??

Anyway, I am looking forward to this a lot^^

It's compositions written by squarepusher??

Is there really that massive a difference between songs written on a computer being fed through synths, and songs being written on a computer being performed by mechanical instruments playing live instruments ??

How is this gimmicky or in any way a bullshit premise, coming from someone who composed experimental electronic music !??

Anyway, I am looking forward to this a lot^^

agreed!

the guy is making fucking robots play crazy music. I don't see how that's gimmicky. Meh haters gonna hate

Look, I want to like this! But here's where I'm coming from: Do the robots make the music any better?

Maybe not, but that doesn't take away from the technological marvel of it. I highly doubt this is something he's doing for the fans or whatever. He's always been fascinated with computers and robotics and this is a logical next step, if you follow the trend in his interviews and releases (IE the concept of shobaleader, his interviews circa JAS, etc). The guy has money to do what he wants and he wanted some robots to play his music. That's a win.

macgyver.

Look, I want to like this! But here's where I'm coming from: Do the robots make the music any better?

Did you listen to the interview in the other thread? It is quite literally impossible for any human or any other known machine to, for example, play guitar the way this robot plays guitar. Therefore, these are literally heretofore unheard and brand-new sounds. So I would say yes it has the potential to make the music better.

Archived