IGNORED

(New) Noir style Movies

Berk

Maybe Only God Forgives? It's kinda like Drive but slower and with less talking. Nice to look at.

What you're describing is a silent film. There are like five lines of dialogue in Drive.

lol, the truth

lots of suggestions already, this is great people!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why people wouldn't like Drive, but I just love the style of the movie and the soundtrack really ties it all together like the carpet in The Big Lebowski. It's really laid back /dreamy and at certain points contains really unexpected gruesome violence, love that heh. Really well executed

That composer, Cliff Martinez, reaches Eno-level ambient at some parts

• 2 months later...

I can see why people wouldn't like Drive, but I just love the style of the movie and the soundtrack really ties it all together like the carpet in The Big Lebowski. It's really laid back /dreamy and at certain points contains really unexpected gruesome violence, love that heh. Really well executed

lol something to consider is that if you pirated it you very likely watched an early version with placeholder music which actually did feature Eno. If the check the opening credits and it says the music is by Angelo Badalamenti then you have this version.

lol something to consider is that if you pirated it you very likely watched an early version with placeholder music which actually did feature Eno. If the check the opening credits and it says the music is by Angelo Badalamenti then you have this version.

Never heard of this and can't find info, how is it possible, early production cut leaked? Does it contain the same non-Martinez tracks as in final version?

Hah yeah it was an early screener that was leaked. I guess Martinez was brought in super late in production, so they had a draft with place holder music that was meant to give the feel they were looking for. There's a bit about it here.

I watched this version my first couple of times and thought, jesus Martinez is really ripping on Eno and then noticed the credits listed Badalementi and looked it up.

I think I read something about that Johnny Jewel dude being chosen as the composer for Drive at some point. Explains why Tick of the Clock made it in there.

Yeah, there was at least one major article on it, also explains presence of Desire's song (the one at the party). Honestly, i'm not a fan of Martinez, he produced kinda run of the mill ambient which is just unusual in mainstream or any type of movies. Other songs really struck me, though i wouldn't like them in regular circumstances. I felt shivers down my spine on opening credits with fucking Kavinsky.

I think I read something about that Johnny Jewel dude being chosen as the composer for Drive at some point. Explains why Tick of the Clock made it in there.

Yeah, there was at least one major article on it, also explains presence of Desire's song (the one at the party). Honestly, i'm not a fan of Martinez, he produced kinda run of the mill ambient which is just unusual in mainstream or any type of movies. Other songs really struck me, though i wouldn't like them in regular circumstances. I felt shivers down my spine on opening credits with fucking Kavinsky.

Yea those opening titles are quite amazing. And I still believe that the opening police "chase" around the city with the Tick of the Clock track in the bg is one of the best movie moments of all toime.

• 1 month later...

Anyone mention The Machinist?

I would put Eyes Wide Shut into this category as well.....

and Blade Runner......

nice call on The Ninth Gate, love that film so much despite any moral cred Polanski might be lacking in.

You might want to see earlier Refn's noir-styled film Fear X starring John Turturro. It was a visually ambitious flop and cost him a bankruptcy of his company and almost his career.

I would also recommend Touch Of Evil by Orson Wells, the last great noir movie of 50s. By the way, it was already considered neo-noir back then because initially genre traces back to 20s.

Le Samourai by Jean-Pierre Melville and The Driver by Walter Hill are both very strong points of reference for Drive. First one is a cult classic by one of the best French directors all-time.

Haven't seen Maniac, so can't go there on suggestions.

Really loved Le Samourai!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived