IGNORED

How many watmm trolls are paid by their governments to be here?

andihow

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here? a few maybe. be very skeptical. they study and are skilled at being persuasive.

as many government intelligence agencies as there are, there are many more private intelligence contractors who will gladly sell internet-based information and services to individuals and corporations who can pay. this is the one reason why i actually think blanket surveillance may be inevitable (to some extent), it falls into that "if we don't do it then the enemy will and thereby they will have an unacceptable advantage" strategic perspective.

such agents are a part of the internet, i'm sure i've seen them. they have an edge in debates because they aren't communicating based on values, they are sales people.

propaganda is extremely powerful. it's not necessarily false information, more effective forms of propaganda involve transposing a topic onto an inapplicable argument framework, thereby guiding the debate astray. they reapply this method when their opponent tries to correct the course (possibly utilizing multiple accounts to appear to represent the majority of people in the discussion), and thereby mire the discussion to onlookers in a mess of complications which cannot be clarified at the same rate that they conjured up at.

a world war 3 of internet debate, as unpleasant as it may be, could avert a real world war 3, imo, seeing as the world is enshrouded by numerous eschatological threats and people are a ways from being on the same page (though imo they could be).

I always wear this before jacking-in to cyperspace and surfing the information hyperwave -

140-In%252520a%252520homemade%252520tinf

I was gonna mention something about a foil hat in this thread until I saw this. Why don a foil hat, when you can wear a foil SUIT

it's not only the US government that does this. Israeli government has come out saying they try to manipulate online discussions about Israel, Corporations probably do this heavily as well. And probably on the lowest tier, smaller companies like Boomkat and I'm sure certain record labels have sock puppet accounts here, no doubt in my mind.

propaganda is extremely powerful. it's not necessarily false information, more effective forms of propaganda involve transposing a topic onto an inapplicable argument framework, thereby guiding the debate astray. they reapply this method when their opponent tries to correct the course (possibly utilizing multiple accounts to appear to represent the majority of people in the discussion), and thereby mire the discussion to onlookers in a mess of complications which cannot be clarified at the same rate that they conjured up at.

the best propaganda always comes with a kernel of truth, especially agit-prop. Focusing on the human rights abuses of muslim countries like how they treat women and gays as a means to promote a US military intervention is a good example of this.

the popular news source russia today (rt) is an overt propaganda device that has been successfully sewing division in the united states. it was officially created by the russian government for the purpose of guiding perception in the english speaking world. their big show with the hot chick (breaking the set with abbey martin) consistently focuses on american issues and presents them in the most paranoid and incendiary light, framing them with misleading suggestions and generalizations.

i actually read about 80% of this incredibly shitty journalism. the whole articles hangs on the assumption that those tactics target innocent people, against the law and constitution and such. an assumption that of course is not grounded in any way throughout the article. there's even no way of knowing what the slide that refers to "action against hacktivists" relates to and what is its context.

I must say I agree with your point. By labelling it as propaganda, it is presented as more than it actually is. They use tactics such as infiltrating social networks, like they do in the real world (and have been doing for longer than I can remember) when they investigate criminal activities. The fact they do similar things on the internet as they do in the real world is not new. And as those operations can be legal in the real world, they could be legal online. Under the right circumstances. With the right oversight.

I haven't read the entire article, but the general idea seems to be that it's about strategies which have equivalents in the real world when investigating criminal activities. I don't say I agree, or anything, but this is not the "the government distorts the entire internet with propaganda"-bomb it's made out to be.

The oversight is probably lacking considerably, but if that was fixed I don't think the world would be that much different. This is a fundamentally different thing to the massive data collection.

the popular news source russia today (rt) is an overt propaganda device that has been successfully sewing division in the united states. it was officially created by the russian government for the purpose of guiding perception in the english speaking world. their big show with the hot chick (breaking the set with abbey martin) consistently focuses on american issues and presents them in the most paranoid and incendiary light, framing them with misleading suggestions and generalizations.

abby's my sister (literally) and she has full editorial control of her show. In fact i'm sitting here right now in the RT america studio. We aren't sewing 'division', I've seen more people with differing perspectives join on board with this point of view than almost any other political show I know of. But if you mean simply division in terms of fighting against the shittiness of the US government, yes we are very much on board with that, and if Russia is too it is incidental. It's a very mutually beneficial setup, because without the outlet of RT Abby would be doing exactly the same thing, probably just on a much lower budget.

i actually read about 80% of this incredibly shitty journalism. the whole articles hangs on the assumption that those tactics target innocent people, against the law and constitution and such. an assumption that of course is not grounded in any way throughout the article.

you do know that they are sitting on a pile of un-released leaks right? It's funny how often people default to this position, that these things aren't for innocent people. I can guarantee that the assertion they aren't for 'innocent people' will be in time proven false, as it has been in the past repeatedly.

abby's my sister (literally) and she has full editorial control of her show. In fact i'm sitting here right now in the RT america studio. We aren't sewing 'division', I've seen more people with differing perspectives join on board with this point of view than almost any other political show I know of. But if you mean simply division in terms of fighting against the shittiness of the US government, yes we are very much on board with that, and if Russia is too it is incidental. It's a very mutually beneficial setup, because without the outlet of RT Abby would be doing exactly the same thing, probably just on a much lower budget.

Really?

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint2_307.jpg

your sister abbey martin doesn't present the us government as shitty, she presents it as sinister. she is an alex jones funded by russia. of course there are sinister individuals, but when you generalize the system as what is sinister, you let the guilty individuals get away and distract people from what really is going on.

I don't think you've watched enough of or very much of her show. she constantly goes after specific corporations (which is very rare for any television show) and individual bankers, ceos, people who sit on the boards of corporations, politicians. I won't argue she is trying to reach a broad audience, but I don't agree with your assertions at all having seen every episode of her show and also helping write for it. If you don't like the sinister slant, I can understand. She hurt Nestle's profits in an attempt for Nestle to essentially steal water from a Canadian aquifer after a report she did on Nestle. Alex Jones gets people riled up against an imaginary enemy like the NWO, which is far different from what Abby does. She may rile people up but the counter forces are identifiable entities in plain sight.

Really?

post-403-0-09445100-1393363890_thumb.jpg

:cisfor:

on a side note, its pretty exciting that now random watmmers are at least checking out abby's show with having no association with me whatsoever. btw her name is spelled a-b-b-y

I had this same discussion about Abby and her alignment with Russian interests and I figured the relationship was about what you described. People still question it though. Someone said that it's a problem because she is never critical of Russia. Personally, I don't give a fuck as long as she is pointing on the problems in this country. Russia is of no concern to me regarding our government's behavior within our own borders. If you have all these other media entities that are making it increasingly obvious they aren't reporting news but instead run stories at the behest of larger powers it becomes a priority that you have some kind of balancing act happening in the form of honest criticism. Alex Jones used to be one of those people from what I understand. He still runs some decent stories, but he is obviously compromised by some serious issues that damage his credibility. Even Reason is bullshit in my opinion. Robbie if you and Abby want to do something seriously important for the country then progress your cause from simply a show on a foreign network to something larger. Get your own network started, get on TV somehow, or have Abby parlay her celebrity into politics. If you could do any of those you could really make a big impact. Not that you already aren't doing something important.

I hear all M15 agents now have to undergo a mandatory watmm-training module, where a tired-looking bureaucrat briefs recruits in the differences between 808 and 909 snares, and the relative arguments for and against RDJ being The Tuss.

fucking lol

abby's my sister (literally)

i really used to like breaking the set but it gets kind of over the top at times. its hard to take stuff seriously or want to share it with others when its said with such 'tude. that being said, what she chooses to report on is usually good information that you dont hear being talked about in alot of other places so kudos. i would like to see a boxing match between her and the sophie co lady.

but this is not the "the government distorts the entire internet with propaganda"-bomb it's made out to be.

individually in a vacuum this might be seen as a correct statement, but this is merely one article among hundreds from 2005-2013 that have exposed similar programs inside the US government. Greenwald is not the only one who has written about this. You guys should pay a little bit closer attention before writing things off so easily or relying on a single journalist to deliver you the full picture in a single article.

i actually read about 80% of this incredibly shitty journalism. the whole articles hangs on the assumption that those tactics target innocent people, against the law and constitution and such. an assumption that of course is not grounded in any way throughout the article.

you do know that they are sitting on a pile of un-released leaks right? It's funny how often people default to this position, that these things aren't for innocent people. I can guarantee that the assertion they aren't for 'innocent people' will be in time proven false, as it has been in the past repeatedly.

never happened. it's been a very clear pattern with gg and snowden reporting: release some incoherent ppts/other docs with unclear context, produce a sensational title for an article which will be filled with wild assumptions and wishful-thinking-like interpretations for such documents that doesn't make sense, present zero proofs for the assumptions and zero basis for such interpretations, repeat 500 times, 250mil $ profit.

abby seems to deliberately spin anything about obama negatively and this goes a long way toward helping the russian desire of keeping america divided and weak. she argues that obama's ending of the iraq war is not an accomplishment because bush set the timetable for withdrawal. bush did so after obama was the democratic nominee running on ending the iraq war, undoubtedly for exactly that political consolation that abby is reinforcing. carrying out ending a war and saying a war should be ended are two completely different things. she also alleges that obama fought to extend the timeline, referring to the immunity deal that fell through, but offering to provide iraq with supplemental forces if iraq wanted them is not the same as trying to stay in iraq. if obama wanted to stay in iraq, we would still be in iraq.

there are endless similar examples of her finding just the right angle with which to make obama look bad to her global audience, turning people against the harvard law valedictorian who raised more small donations and resisted corporate donations more than any other presidential nominee in recent history, who averted a global financial collapse, ended one war and is nearly done ending another, stared down kim jong un when he threatened to nuke the united states, using diplomacy to get china to publically rebuke their hermit ally, got syria to agree to relinquish their nuclear weapons, passed a nuclear arms reduction treaty with russia, helped numerous nations eliminate nuclear arms fuel from their territory, furthered civil rights for the glbt community and women, instituted and fought to enable the consumer protection bureau with the soul purpose of protecting citizens from the financial sector, prioritized clean energy development and reduced foreign energy dependency, regained allies around the world, and made birth control pills free.

but this is not the "the government distorts the entire internet with propaganda"-bomb it's made out to be.

individually in a vacuum this might be seen as a correct statement, but this is merely one article among hundreds from 2005-2013 that have exposed similar programs inside the US government. Greenwald is not the only one who has written about this. You guys should pay a little bit closer attention before writing things off so easily or relying on a single journalist to deliver you the full picture in a single article.

I'm confused by your quoting me and summarizing my point, but also making into something I didn't say. I wasn't even really commenting on the article. More so on mainline news sources.

Archived