IGNORED

ROCK

Guest deferlow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killing Joke first album :diablo:

you know what I'm on about

Usagi, If you haven't checked the other self titled Killing Joke album from 2003, its worth some of your time. Some good stuff on there.

Hella's last album Tripper is certainly one of my top rock albums of the last decade. It's rare that I found newer rock music that really does it for me.

See spoiler for musical ass kicking.

Holy time changes! That does kick ass!

Guest murphythecat8

my favorite "rock" artist are:

Zappa

hendrix

Van morrison

dinosaur jr

early dave matthews band

yes (fix'd)

lol, to be fair I haven't given any dave matthews band a chance, ive only heard their singles (which ive never dug)

Any Earthling could do worse than listen to Neil Young with or without Crazy Horse.

He's the real fucking deal.

hey, yeah DO NOT LISTEN to the late dave matthews band, since 1998, all theve done is suck. BUT, imo what they have done from 95 to 98 is really special. They were kind of totally open, jazz and rock mix together in a way no one ever did. The drummer is really good, as is the sax and bass. They are totally underated bvecause people doesnt know the first three album and their live stuff from 94 to 95.

They used to be highly original, mixing all kind of style with taste, nowadays dave matthews band is a industry really.

I love them since 1999, I was a i kid when I discovered them, but even today, I beleive that their prime period is relevant and of a really high level and still listen often, and not for nostalgic rasons

Killing Joke first album :diablo:

you know what I'm on about

Usagi, If you haven't checked the other self titled Killing Joke album from 2003, its worth some of your time. Some good stuff on there.

I have, can't say it really tickled my fancy unfortunately. although there are some good tracks on there, I really like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWKxQI4-4o

straight Gulf War vibes.

they've always had such an awesome guitar sound. Jaz is the main voice and power behind the band but if Geordie ever left, they'd be over for real.

^ I should add though that I really enjoyed some of the albums they did after the 2003 self-titled, namely Hosannas and Absolute Dissent.

AD is great, I think of it as their swansong album going out on a high note (didn't really like the last one, MMXII), especially because the last track on that album is a super-dubby one which kind of comes full circle as some of their earliest tracks had massive dub influence.

compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ok2-ic5iPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOOYFO5ee0

Hella's last album Tripper is certainly one of my top rock albums of the last decade. It's rare that I found newer rock music that really does it for me.

See spoiler for musical ass kicking.

all hella is great. acoustics, devil isnt red, hold your horse is especially

I watched Crowbar last night. It was a great rock show (if you like your rocks weighing a billion tonnes and slowly crushing your skull).

So, so heavy :diablo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rediscovered Kittens. I haven't listen to them since highschool. They were such an awesome stripped down noise rock band before noise rock was noise rock.

• 2 months later...

How is it possible to have this thread with no TOOL?? (super combo TOOL and Zeppelin in one)

Faith no More had probably one of the best rock albums of all time in Angel Dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzGKJ4GwHA

and for some Canadian Content: nomeansno

Nice picks, Usagi. "I Found That Essence Rare" is hands down my favorite Gang of Four song.

Neil Young's Sedan Delivery & Todd Rundgren's You Need Your Head are as good as it gets in my opinion. Fast paced.

Electric Light Orchestra's first two albums were killer. I also love the poppier stuff, but this shit's so much more raw.

Bauhaus can be hit or miss, but Dark Entries rocks.

Tubeway Army - My Shadow in Vain

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Loose Change (The single-note bass line for the last 7 minutes gives it so much drive).

Can't find a good video. I like the Broken Arrow version, and the one on Youtube is pitch-shifted to C#/F# instead of C/F. Fuck that.

The Stooges - Little Doll (I live for the ending guitar solo. It's a bunch of wah-wah and it's nothing technical, but it sounds so cool).

As far as new stuff, the Mexican Summer label pops out some good one-time artists once-in-a-while. I love Beaches and Bipolar Bear.

Beaches - Eternal Sphere

And maybe I'm just a poppy motherfucker but I love Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Fever to Tell", the Strokes' "Room On Fire" and Franz Ferdinand's "You Could Have it So Much Better".

Archived