IGNORED

Experimental Music on Children's Television

Joyrex

Yeah I've seen this pop up on twitter. A lot of these videos (and I think the tumblr itself) have been posted by Mike Haley, who runs tabsout, a podcast that only plays cassette releases.

Love this one:

"hey don't get yourself all frazzled, we're just electronic musicians"

Guest MastaN8

If Im remembering correctly, childrens programs have always been a great venue for artists to experiment electronically, going WAY back to when the only people who had access to very large and very expensive gear used thier gear mostly for commercials and childrens programming... There was a documentary I saw recently about a musician, forgive me his name escapes me, but was highly influential and said something along the lines of having complete freedom when trying new sounds and ideas on childrens shows because they wouldn't mind and doing so would pave the way for future ideas to be more welcome... Again his name escapes me.

I'm almost not sure that there is no link between watching Stoppit & Tidyup as a youngster has no bearing on getting into the ol' Autechre in later days....

But this thread seems a good place for a question about a sample used in the Meat Beat Manifesto track "Think Fast" from 99%. You can hear it playing unaffected and on it's own for the last 20/30 secs of the song. I've always thought it was the ident music that was playing in between programmes on schools television from the UK in the early/mid 80s. In my memory, there were two idents - one where there was a white circle around an image reducing over the course of a minute but before that was another one which was a place holder until the minute countdown. It was that placeholder I'm sure it comes from. I've searched YouTube a few times trying to find it without any joy....

Does that makes sense to anyone or is my mind playing tricks on me?

I remembered. It was Bruce Haack! Here's a trailer for the documentary I saw, it was very good if I recall... Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6GeQJfrI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah Bruce Haack had a fascinating career, he's one pioneers whose ideas were quite imaginative and prophetic, real knack for circuit-bending and DIY electronics (long before "circuit-bending" was a term). He would of loved all of the technology that's out there now.

Archived