IGNORED

Knife wielding group attacks crowds in train station

delet...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/02/china-mass-stabbings-yunnan-kunming-rail-station

China was reeling from what was described as a "violent terror attack" on Saturday in which a knife-wielding gang stabbed 28 people to death and left scores more injured at a railway station.Motives for the killings at Kunming in Yunnan province, south-west China, were unclear, but Beijing has blamed similar attacks on militants from Xinjiang in the country's restive north-west.

Reports said five unidentified attackers were shot dead by police following the incident on Saturday evening and another five were being hunted. Unverified photographs circulating on social media appeared to show the blood-soaked bodies of victims lined up on the floor. Other images showed distraught people running away from the station and crowds gathering among police officers and ambulances.

The official Xinhua news agency said at least 113 people were injured in the "organised, premeditated" attack by "unidentified knife-wielding people". The victims were taken by ambulances to hospitals around the city. No reason for the killings was given, but state television described them as an act of terrorism – a term Beijing usually deploys to describe the activities of minority ethnic groups it charges with fomenting unrest in outlying regions such as Xinjiang.

Yang Haifei, who was wounded in the chest and back, told Xinhua he had been buying a train ticket when the attackers approached and he had tried to escape with the crowd. "I saw a person come straight at me with a long knife and I ran away with everyone," he said. Others "simply fell on the ground".

Some who escaped were desperately searching for missing family. "I can't find my husband, and his phone went unanswered," said Yang Ziqing, who had been waiting to catch a train to Shanghai when the knife gang struck.

Eyewitnesses were quoted by the China News Service saying the attackers, dressed in black, "burst into the train station plaza and the ticket hall, stabbing whoever they saw".

source

That's a bit off innit.

Obligatory joke because we need more humor:

Would've been more impressed if they'd've used chopsticks.

3/10, but hey :emotawesomepm9:

Also, the kazakhs of xinjiang (the group probably doing the terroring) don't use chopsticks apparently but eat with their hands. So it was more insulting than you would at first imagine.

have things like this been getting worse in china or is it just me?

I think you're right. And I think a lot of the incidents aren't even reported on in Chinese media, and therefore not reported in the West.

About three or four months back one of my wive's friends was walking down the street in Guilin and there was an explosion, with body parts scattered everywhere. Her friend took a bunch of photos, when I saw them I said "there's no way that was just a traffic accident" - there was half a torso just plopped there on the street, several dead bodies and parts, a very wide blast radius (building windows blown out). I said "that's probably terrorism". Then a few months later there was an incident that *was* reported, where the terrorists used some sort of gas container on a motorscooter to trigger the explosion. I'm guessing that was what happened in my wife's friend's case as well. I think for every incident that gets reported as terrorism there are probably several more that aren't.

I think you're right. And I think a lot of the incidents aren't even reported on in Chinese media, and therefore not reported in the West.

About three or four months back one of my wive's friends was walking down the street in Guilin and there was an explosion, with body parts scattered everywhere. Her friend took a bunch of photos, when I saw them I said "there's no way that was just a traffic accident" - there was half a torso just plopped there on the street, several dead bodies and parts, a very wide blast radius (building windows blown out). I said "that's probably terrorism". Then a few months later there was an incident that *was* reported, where the terrorists used some sort of gas container on a motorscooter to trigger the explosion. I'm guessing that was what happened in my wife's friend's case as well. I think for every incident that gets reported as terrorism there are probably several more that aren't.

jesus fucking christ that's crazy

every report im reading on this attack spree is citing "10 terrorists from Xinjiang" - speaking of, things got really violent during Urumqi Riots and can only imagine how much of that was censored and covered-up.

They should just let them separate, they're not han, they're not chinese. Then again, this world is about accumulating things not letting them go. And if they did let go, you can bet that the US would be there with a missile shield and army base before the last chinese troop carrier left the property.. Humons, so lame.

As for that explosion, maybe it was just a gas leak?

It's strange to think that there's an invisible war going on in china that you wouldn't know about until something occurs in front of you whilst you're walking down the street. Perhaps hiding these incidents from the public actually has the effect of making a small number of incidents seem like a broader problem, through the urgent paranoid whispers of the unenlightened. You end up with a worse public perception problem than you were hoping for by covering the things up.

Wow.

It's also interesting to hear how Chinese authorities are handling this case, and those similar to it. Or, to the extent they allow the outside world to know.

Which isn't much, I guess. And that's pretty scary, but you know you have to "trust the program" in order to function in it. Right?

God, could you imagine of falun gong members started running china. I bet they would be the least rational, most hypocritical leaders a country could hope for. They'd drive around in gold plated limousines whilst talking about embracing life the universe and everything maan.

that's heavy! even though it has terrible implications for human rights i find the whole secrecy thing with the chinese government pretty fascinating...thinking about all the secret facilities where god knows what goes on...people getting arrested for being like "hey can i have access to clean water?". a lot of this we will never know about and it will probably never come to light.

The secrecy about the terrorist attacks seems pretty logical from the Chinese government. The aim of terrorism is to spread fear in the population and destabilize the society. If the attacks get hushed up then it effectively makes the terrorism useless.

The western governments can't hush the attacks because of the free press, so they try to use the terrorist attacks to their own advantage by demanding more power to the government to watch and control the citizens, justify foreign operations, etc.

The west uses the press to deceive or misdirect. Nowadays it's pretty overt as well. Just look at the Syria thing, or now this Ukraine thing. Sure it's not as straightforward a straight jacket as in china, but our minds are contained just the same.

to be honest the rise of smart phones has made coverups much more difficult in China as well. Not sure if anyone remembers the high-speed train crash that happened a few years back, the govt. tried to cover up the derailed train cars with dirt but were caught...according to my employees more public officials and scams are being exposed now than ever before thanks to people posting videos online...of course some stuff gets taken down, but it still gets passed around and talked about...

It seems pretty much like anywhere else in the world at this point. Everyone was talking about the knifing incident today, but what they were mostly talking about was the fact that out of the 5(?) terrorists shot (4 to death, I believe), apparently they were all shot by one police officer within 15 seconds. So people are talking about how badass that was. Of course it could be govt. disinformation put out to give people the sense of police competence. Dunno.

Archived