IGNORED

The Music Of Silke F.

Guest Silke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay i've listened to all of them now... this is so good... man.. i don't have the slightest idea what you're doing here on ekt! you should be on a major label smoking a cigar in your mansion on tahiti :D seriously!

the first two tracks... i prefer the first one, but probably only because of the synth sound. the melody in "swarzlicht" is also astonishing. i can't tell you how cool it is that they're both played by hand (or did you sequence it that way?)

besides that, "fruehling" has this sad/depressive overtone that reminds me of paysage d'hiver ambiental stuff which i love. i'd buy a whole album of such ambient immediately.

anyway, top quality stuff, haven't heard anything this good on ekt so far!

ogue2: that was truly intense! mad beats and really great ambience. also the production quality is really good. i'd love to hear more tracks (longer too ;) in this vein.

dancing with a ghost: that's quite BOCish huh? :) still it's a great track, i can say i never enjoyed boc that much but this track feels really deep and i like it a lot. do you use sampled beats?

so how do you produce? what gear do you use? tell us about yourself!

kokoon has it right... you da man.

Frühling: nice little track to put the viewer in an errie dream state. It seemed to be off sync on some parts but it could also be my mind at the death of a long day.

Schwarzlicht: another sleepy time track... very pretty.

Ogue 2: more my style. i like the spontaneity of the beats... it's almost like 3 songs smashed into a few short minutes.

Dancing with a Ghost: interesting. i like the delay effect to the drums... hard to guess what's comin' next.

And yes to tell us about yourself and whore out the 'ware mann.

Guest vodor

Frühling is great. The out-of-syncness that goffer describes is perfect. It's hard to tell if it really is a bit off-beat or if it's an illusion caused by the echos and note interplay. Really cool effect, and it complements the mood of the melody perfectly.

The rest weren't quite as engaging. I found the beats and beat manipulations in Ogue 2 and Dancing with a Ghost to be rather drab. I felt the percussion of those two really didn't add anything and could just as easily be gone. I felt the same way about the stretchy groan noise in Quqc2. I usually dig that sort of thing but I think that it shouldn't be so priminent and central to the track. The beat in Quqc2 is excellent but I thought the tempo bending was a bit overdone.

Schwarzlicht and Axcemphed were very good. Axcemphed made me think of a dystopian future, but that may be because it reminded me of the dome city music in Chrono Trigger. :(

I dunno why I'm long-winded all of a sudden!

I listened to the first track and right off the bat I like the direction. I like where you're going with it, but will you be able to pull it off and make it interesting after the first minute? Ooooh... not so much. I can see it being a neat segue into a more emotive, powerful piece of music, but on its own, not very evocative or anything. I actually quite like it as an introductory piece maybe.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and review more of your tracks.

I like the meandering synth playing on the second track. I think it adds a definite endearing touch to the piece in general. Reminds me kind of like a music box being rewound and slowing down, slightly tapping on the key on the box to make sure the sound doesn't stop. Very evocative piece. There are a few notes in there that should have been left out, but that's up to you to decide I guess. This track is way too long to be overly enjoyable.

The third track ogue 2 shows that yes indeed you are capable of producing electronic music. I like the sounds you used for the beats, I like the synth. The bass hits are neat. Still something very autechrish and not overly exciting to listen to. It changes directions quite a bit and ends. I think you should have extended the beginning and expanded upon that theme. Develop these ideas.

The fourth track dancing with a ghost has an Old Tunes feel to it that I don't appreciate hearing because it begins just like an old tunes track and almost seems like it even similar chord progression like a boc track. I do think the mixing on the synths and the piano noises is pretty decent and enjoyable. The drums in this track are complete filler and should be replaced by a child crying or something more engaging like that. But yeah this is a boards of canada track with shitty drums.

The fifth track, the one that's got the aphex track name, is decent but it's got more of the same drum crap that irritates the living fuck out of me. It's not doing anything or going anywhere. It's stopping and starting and ruining the dissonance of the rest of track. Boring. Granular synth, boring. reversing, slowing drums. no. And what is with your transitions? They are completely out of place an unacceptable. I hear your neat little echo and fade and think, "oh all right a whole new 30 seconds of unrelated noodling."

Couldn't be fucked the review the rest of them. Welcome to WATMM.

what is your music trying to prove? Its confusing the hell out of me to be honest. Ive very much enjoyed come to sister. Kids is hilarious as well.

EDIT: Kids is the best trak ever.

'Frühling' sounds like instrumental music for some french art house film, very nice. The start of 'Orgue2' reminds me of Logon rock witch by the phx twin then beats kick in and it goes somewhere else, then it judders abit and fades out just as i was getting into it, why? Shcwardlicht has a nice vibe, lupa penguin style/ Ovuca'd. Dancing with ghosts has a groove and yeah a touch of BOC, but not overbearingly obvious, so its a petty comparison, it has its own thang going on. I really liked the classical chivalry of "xaiqqluqc2IuzideliqqI4", you have the skills.

Guest eatanter

i like it... it's playful

(i'm amazed at people who just give away their stuff on the web, i'd always be afraid of stumbling across it somewhere, seeing people making €/$ with it.)

i always like the edgy roughness of "early works", i think it's important never to achieve exactly what you have in mind, for where would be the challenge then? hope i never become a "producer", let alone a professional..

Archived