IGNORED

Rephlex Completionism

dr lopez

I suppose this is a tandem thread with my Rephlex CAT# issues.

I've been doing my spreadsheet homework/discogs nerd-dom and I was pleasantly surprised that I now am only 77 releases away from owning every Rephlex CD ever released!

*pats self on back*

*looks at bank account and slowly cries*

Including singles, EPs, weird shit like 100% genuine and what not... Now this might seem like a long way to go still but i've well over half-way and that is encouraging. I also have some of the rarer CD releases already under my belt... (Goon for some reason seems quite rare, chimera as well) not sure I've i'll ever take the philosophy of sound plunge, but I'd like to get close to having every CD release by my favorite label.

I wonder who has the most complete rephlex CD collection actually... Granted I have no vinyl because I'm a millennial and I like digital files... if I get the CDs done it might be time to fill out the collection with wax but who knows. There's plenty of great CD exclusive shit on Rephlex as well -- mood bells and dwayne omarr come to mind. Would love to take a picture but sadly not with the entire collection rn - when I'm home I might

So I ask you... anyone's rephlex CAT complete as all heck? What are you missing? What do you crave? DOES ANYONE ELSE CARE ABOUT THIS GEEKY SHIT??

love,

d-lo

Ive got about 60 cds and about 40 vinyl, not sure how much exactly but heres a big ol pile of some of it:::

12987213513_74868623c9_b.jpg

I can't actually remember how i first heard about rephlex, I suspect it was either an Aphex interview/feature in the press some time in '99-2000.

My first rephlex cd was Leila's Like Weather in 98 (which was after hearing a tune on John Peel and weirdly before I'd even discovered Aphex Twin!) . This was pre-online days for me and had to hope my local Andys records would pick up some interesting shit or I'd have to order it thru the mail.

I think ive got pretty much everything from about 2005 onwards but thats still prob less than half the catalog.

I'm really not that arsed about getting the super-inflated early stuff like the UI's, the Joyrex and Brad Strider EPs.

Discogs marketplace has been a godsend for tracking down some of those long deleted classics from the likes of DMX/Cylob/Bochum Welt but has also took some of the joy out of it. And I can't say I don't feel dirty when I sometimes find myself grimly trawling through pages weighing up whether or not to spend 11 quid on some underwhelming loungecore remix EP.

Even though it's my favourite music label ever, I just found out I have loads more Warp releases than Rephlex, only 65 Rephlex ones or so. I blame Rephlex though, hardly any represses and even Phil of Norman Records said "Rephlex are a bit useless sometimes." so yeah, discogs marketplace helped me a lot. Just last night found some Urban Tribe 7" + 12's and finally Bochum Welt's 10" with the Mueller remix through discogs.

Most "rare" stuff is the Bochum Welt Rephlex shaped CD single, 100% Genuine CD, the Transllusion 12" and Bradley's Robot with the huge Rephlex poster with some other AFX stuff (the AB3 record with insert etc.) and early 00' twelve inches like Slipper and Like A Tim (which isn't rare at all I think, but in theory every Rephlex release is rare). Still regret not buying the Analord binder + records, but I was young and nobody around me had a creditcard.

Let's see more photo's, would like to see your collection dr lopez

Guest Ron Manager

13 CDs and 19 records (the majority of which are Analords). only rare thing i have is Analord 10 + binder. lots of random stuff really, there are a lot of classics i don't own. some of what i have is kind of forgettable in my books though... e.g. Grime CD, Razor X Productions - Killing Sound (just not my thing really). i'm not that into Arpanet - Quantum Transposition either.

hey lopez, can you give me a rundown of your top 5 Rephlex releases? i'm sure you've said as much elsewhere, but i don't delve into this subforum very often...

According to Discogs I have 161 releases on Rephlex, the first one I found was the Joyrex J4 back in 92, been hooked ever since.

at most 10 are CDs the rest are vinyl =D

13 CDs and 19 records (the majority of which are Analords). only rare thing i have is Analord 10 + binder. lots of random stuff really, there are a lot of classics i don't own. some of what i have is kind of forgettable in my books though... e.g. Grime CD, Razor X Productions - Killing Sound (just not my thing really). i'm not that into Arpanet - Quantum Transposition either.

hey lopez, can you give me a rundown of your top 5 Rephlex releases? i'm sure you've said as much elsewhere, but i don't delve into this subforum very often...

it's hard but i'll try

1. Cylob - Cylobian Sunset

2. Astrobotnia - Pt. 3

3. Bogdan - Samurai Math Beats

(4.) AFX - Analogue Bubblebath 4 (This is the best AFX ep imo but I'll stick to non afx artists)

4. DMX Krew - We Are DMX

5. Leo Anibaldi - Void

Although Ultrademon fucking killed it last year and is moving his way up that list

Guest Ron Manager

cool, cheers! i know Cylobian Sunset and AB4 but i haven't heard the others (enjoy DMX Krew muchly but haven't checked out We Are DMX), so i'll look into 'em. never even heard of Leo Anibaldi!

agreed that Ultrademon is pretty phenomenal.

cool, cheers! i know Cylobian Sunset and AB4 but i haven't heard the others (enjoy DMX Krew muchly but haven't checked out We Are DMX), so i'll look into 'em. never even heard of Leo Anibaldi!

yeah that anibaldi is like SAW II's evil twin, and SAW II is pretty evil in parts. Incredible ambient spacescapes.

Anibaldi is actually like one of the most underrated men in electronic music imo. Grant once said that he would release everything he ever did if he could. I'm crazy for another of his albums - virtual language. it swings back and forth from serious monged acid to deeply haunting ambient to grooving techno every track. and it came out in 93 or something. quite remarkable and worth tracking down.

yeah that anibaldi is like SAW II's evil twin, and SAW II is pretty evil in parts. Incredible ambient spacescapes.

Anibaldi is actually like one of the most underrated men in electronic music imo. Grant once said that he would release everything he ever did if he could. I'm crazy for another of his albums - virtual language. it swings back and forth from serious monged acid to deeply haunting ambient to grooving techno every track. and it came out in 93 or something. quite remarkable and worth tracking down.

Epos 52... so good:

Guest Kenneth172

I've been an avid Rephlex fan/collector for years. Started buying their records back in '92 - Philisophy of Sound and Machine, than Caustic Window EPs. They started to take the piss a bit with some weird releases like the 100% Genuine CD but thankfully the releases are back to being consistent again. I'm not as trainspotterish about it though nowadays. Got loads of the rare early vinyl stuff too like Universal Indicator Green in the carrier bag. I think digital has killed collecting the stuff to the same degree as back in the day. Speaking of digital, anyone know what happened to the Rephlex website? Used to be able to buy downloads.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

I think my rarest Rephlex is probably the 4x10" Radiophonic Workshop set

R-212869-1386414647-6848.jpeg

Just got this in today for quite a few bucks, but this is just an amazing compilation! I wonder how many of these were pressed up?

1000 copies.

(reposting lovely artwork cos discogs is being stupid)

Musicfromradiophonic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have all the CDs up to mid 1998 when it fell off IMO, and then I got a CD burner so those days were over. sold Philosophy for $200 to some eBay twat in Germany I believe. Still have the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dcom

According to Discogs I have about 200 (out of 427) RePHLeX releases from 1991 up until 2007, practically everything I was able to get my hands on. Some (albums, mostly) could be classified as duplicates because I have them on both vinyl and CD, but more often than not there are different/exclusive/extra tracks on the CD versions - thus having both formats is a necessity for obsessive-compulsive completists. I've also met some RePHLeX artists during the years and thus have had the opportunity to get some records signed:

• Caustic Window - Joyrex J4 12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Caustic Window - Joyrex J5 12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Caustic Window - Joyrex J9i 10" picture disc (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Caustic Window - Joyrex J9ii 12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Caustic Window - Compilation 3x12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • AFX - Analogue Bubblebath vol. 3 12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • AFX - Analogue Bubblebath vol. 3.1 12" (signed by RDJ in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • The Kosmik Kommando - Universal Indicator Yellow 12" (signed by Mike Dred in Tampere, FI, 2009)
  • The Kosmik Kommando - The Kosmik Kommando EP 12" (signed by Mike Dred in Tampere, FI, 2009)
  • Cylob - Rewind! 12" (signed by Chris Jeffs in Tampere, FI, 2008)
  • Global Goon - Afterlife 12" (signed by Jonathan Hawk in Tampere, FI, 2009)
  • Global Goon - Cradle of History 2xLP (signed by Jonathan Hawk in Tampere, FI, 2009)
  • Ovuca - Lactavent 2xLP (signed by Aleksi Perälä in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Ovuca - King Stacey 12" (signed by Aleksi Perälä in Helsinki, FI, 2000)
  • Ovuca - Onclements 4xLP (signed by Aleksi Perälä in Helsinki, FI, 2000)

My blind obsession with RePHLeX ended around 2005, and I've bought only a handful of releases on the label after that - mostly because I had been extending and expanding my interests since mid-90s towards various, more specific electronic (dance) music subgenres and DJing. Nevertheless, RePHLeX is and will always be a seminal, formative label within my personal canon and I won't let go of any part of my collection until you pry them off my cold, dead hands.

Cheers, Nuutti.

Archived