IGNORED

Record Store Day 2014

Rubin Farr

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is more here that I would go for compared to previous times but I'm still not fucking going. I presume it's like black friday but for round discs instead of heavy electronic items and legs of lamb.

I presume it's like black friday but for round discs instead of heavy electronic items and legs of lamb.

in the bigger stores, what they do to control the infestation is to let a few people in every few minutes or so. they'll also have a separate section for the "record store day" flock.

for smaller stores, what they'll do is encourage buyers to come early, then cater to them first so they can resume business as usual for the rest of the human race.

what you wanna do is run straight into the store screaming like a banshee grabbing anything that catches your retina

http://youtu.be/WBk32OUxCnU

Why do I hate Record Store Day so much? I love records, I love record shops. Just doesn't make sense...

As it's now about instagram proof-of-purchase twunts and ebay sellers

Guest jasondonervan

Well thanks to the NME, I'm definitely not going to my local for RSD now - they've done a massive article on the store in this week's issue, tying in with RSD. Sod that for a laugh, the queue was horrendous enough the last time I went a few years back, it's just not worth the hassle.

Why do I hate Record Store Day so much? I love records, I love record shops. Just doesn't make sense...

As it's now about instagram proof-of-purchase twunts and ebay sellers

fuck this record store day bullshit. i hate everything about it including the stupid name. fucking record store day..."oooh oooh, it's record store day!"...fuck off.

Guest Ron Manager

looking forward to the bullshit prices settling down so i can get that OPN record. already multiple copies on Discogs / eBay.

anyone who bought it just because and wants to sell it for £15 or so, PM me...

PS fuck RSD

Guest jasondonervan

I just took a stroll down to my local store, knowing full well the flipper-ridden queue would have long since ended. And the only record I was concerned with picking up is of course sold out.

I've come to the conclusion that Record Store Day is predominantly for people who don't listen to or enjoy music.

Guest jasondonervan

I've come to the conclusion that Record Store Day is predominantly for people who don't listen to or enjoy music.

Pretty much - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=record+store+day+2014&_pppn=r1&scp=ce0&_rdc=1

Urgh, so grim. I'm sure with most of those records, one person puts a stupidly high price on it, then it becomes a race to the bottom when they don't sell within half an hour. Tomorrow onwards is probably the better day to pick something up once people start panicking that they've overbought and try to shift it off. I mean, don't these people think to look on ebay and see the piles of unsold RSD stock from 2013, and perhaps learn from that? I'm not saying they can't make a quick buck from a really in-demand record... but is it really worth the hassle?

I must have walked past a dozen records earlier that I've since seen have been marked up for funny money prices. Sure, I could have stocked up to profit from it, but I'd feel like punching myself in the face for doing so.

yup, just came across this and was gonna post it up.

glad to know my gut instinct on these things aren't just a factor of me being a grumpy git, but in fact ring some truths.

They were covering it on local news this morning too. I don't want to default to cynicism but I can see the reason for complaints.

Waterloo records was limiting RSD purchases to a few per person because the crowd was so big, which seems reasonable.

There was a "cassette store day" last year that was a bit divisive, but the upside of it was the turnout of local and DIY labels who weren't "official" participants: so instead of buying overpriced JJ DOOM or Deerhunter tapes I bought a fair amount of local tapes and discovered a lot of new artists.

I think I'm done with RSD. Seems that it's now about reissuing records that you already own on a format that you don't. Only thing that might have appealed to me is The Fall album, whatever that is, and Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine, which I already have on non-swirly shit vinyl.

My local store has decided to rape people on their prices, they handed me my stuff, I looked at the sticker price and handed them back. $35 for a Flaming Lips 12"? Fuck dat!

I live in a small college town with only 1 out of 3 local record stores participating in RSD... and I totally understand why the other two shops avoid it like the plague. I was able to find a few things on my list and I was the 10th person on line... a line which was wrapped around the block while waiting for the shop to open. The store did limit one RSD copy per customer but the first 5 people walked out with big bags and there was hardly anything left by time I got in there...

Guest jasondonervan

My local store has decided to rape people on their prices, they handed me my stuff, I looked at the sticker price and handed them back. $35 for a Flaming Lips 12"? Fuck dat!

I spotted this here as well. I didn't see which record it was, but the price sticker was £52 ($87). Yeah, way to support the music/your own store by encouraging bonkers price gouging.

Archived