IGNORED

akai announces $200 analog drum and bassline machine

kcinsu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think that sounds bad, you should have heard the Soundcloud demo one of the Akai guys posted a few days ago (since removed).

Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh56cEx2r2o

I used to be excited for this box...

looks/sounds so cheap

why the hell making something that cheap, why not making a better one costing something like 400$

it'd be a real innovation and chance for some bedroom producers and beginners, even to 600$, it's still affordable for a hardware gear

this is insulting the hardware/software debate

i like akai keybords, and mpds, i use them a lot,

but this stuff, i'll never buy this, even for 50$

The demos never tell the whole story. Though admittedly this has sounded too good to be true all along. I will reserve judgement for now...but...ugh...if it turns out this demo pretty much represents what one can get out of the Rhythm Wolf, Akai won't be getting any of my dollars. At that price point/sound quality you'd be 1,000% better off with some Volcas. (Not knocking the Volcas, the Keys is quite a fun box for what it is...)

How not to do a demo video. The tuning scale of the bass is completely off though, how didn't anyone at Akai notice before putting this off?

AHAHAHA..... Aha... This demo is ridiculous. How to sell a cheap guitar? Get someone who can jam on guitar to make it sound amazing. How to sell a drum machine? Get someone who can rock that shit, who has actually done it for months/years on end with other drum machines for their own music.

Because sonically, a lot can be fixed by running this through an overdrive pedal (and adding reverb).

• 2 weeks later...

I read a post from a dealer saying the AKAI rep was absolutely over the moon with the order they placed for the Wolf, with all the pre-orders included.

Wonder if those early-birds are now regretting their eagerness :)

I doubt the order would have been so healthy had the audio demo been released before now.

Having said that though, did anyone really expect anything more than what is on offer? Its analog with really limited controls (judging by the amount of knobs) so it sounds exactly as limited as I expected. Those little MFB drum synths are the same - really basic analog drum sounds and about the same price.

Like already said, put out something 'analog' and the modern electronic muso's loose their heads.

• 4 weeks later...

If you'd been thinking of getting this device but were thinkng that, after all this time, you don't actually want to hear it but would love to heard Dick Devine make it sound like absolutely everything else he does as a way of deciding if you're going to take the plunge..... well, you're in luck.

If you'd been thinking of getting this device but were thinkng that, after all this time, you don't actually want to hear it but would love to heard Dick Devine make it sound like absolutely everything else he does as a way of deciding if you're going to take the plunge..... well, you're in luck.

haha

yeah this demo even tells us less about the device's sound than the shitty first one. great job akai

Archived