IGNORED

How come no venetian snares mention in featured artists?

PhylumZunami

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont represent watmm at all but, i just dont like vsnares

i feel like you have to be on crystal meth for it to make any sense and i dont shoot crystals into my eyeballs so no-go

plus i think when someone is on crystal meth, everything 'makes sense' and there will be meaning behind any thing like even a chair will have meaning and you can maybe read the chair's thoughts about you if you focus on its vibrations

i do like drukqs tho. but it's actually good. none of vsnares 500 drukqs albums i heard were

It's basically as everyone has said in the thread - although the fact I always made it clear my dislike of his music was one factor. I think enough time has passed to share the email thread between me and Mr. Funk - who knows, perhaps enough time has passed (and WATMM has changed) to revisit this?

This conversation occured on 22 November, 2010

VSnares: Could you please remove this forum from your site? I'd really rather not be a part of it.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Believe me, I didn't want the forum, but there are a lot of Snares
fans on WATMM and after years of begging and pleading, I conceded and
put it up.

I'll remove it, but make no mistake, they WILL know it was you who
requested the removal. I'm not about to take any more flack for a
forum I didn't want to begin with.

VSnares:

Thanks. It is your site after all, you should put up the content you want. I just really don't feel comfortable being represented by someone that dislikes me. Don't mind at all if you convey that to them.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Is this what this is all about? Hell, Richard and I can't stand each
other, but it doesn't stop me from liking his music - in your case, I
have no personal issues with *you* per se, but I haven't found any of
your music that I've been able to get into - doesn't mean you're a bad
musician or anything (and I can understand how my comments about your
music can offend you).

I did find some Last Step tracks enjoyable (if that is really your
work; I've heard conflicting stories).

I think I should revisit some of your releases (I've said as such on
the forum in light of this desire for a Snares forum). Nothing
personal at all though.

If you'd prefer me to still remove the forum, I will, but in no way
would I use it as a platform to bash your music - WATMM is not at all
about me - just the music we all love to discuss.

Regards,

James

VSnares:

Good morning. We are the music makers, we are the music we create. When that music is continually insulted, it would be like insulting your child, saying they are ugly, an imbecile. I understand you wouldn't want to use it as a platform to bash my music, but I think in this case the majority of people on your site certainly see it as an opportunity to do just that. There is just bad blood there for whatever reason and I don't feel like I should be any part of it. I remember some years ago, 8,9,10 years ago perhaps I came across the site and joined up. Thinking great, discussion of electronic music, I'd like to hang out. Man, that was a mistake. I am just a person that loves making music, that loves music in general. I don't want to push it on anybody. I don't expect everybody to enjoy it. Releasing music for people other than my friends to hear is just a means to make a living. It's something I struggle with. At the same time, I leave it up to the music alone to promote itself, not taking part in the media end of things whatsoever. I think by putting musicians above us, in a separate category from us or otherwise is really some left over side effect of pop music and that whole culture. I don't want to be any part of that and do my best not to be. So the idea of there being a discussion forum about myself in a place I feel very unwelcome makes me really uncomfortable. You know what I mean? It just adds more fuel to a generally accepted facade that I am pushing my music on those people. You say you haven't been able to get into music, that is fine! Please don't try to force yourself get into it, it's just not for you! If I don't like something I just don't bother with it. For instance, I don't really like dubstep, so I just stopped checking it out. I would listen to it and think why do people like this? It's fine though, I'm not going to start any hate fest over it, I'll just leave it alone.I see so much hate on Watmm. It bums me out that people can't listen to music for what it is rather than what they'd like it to be. Music seems to be approached from some flawed notion that it is a service industry. We get this from years and years of pop music, films, television being produced in a way that caters to the most people possible to generate maximum revenue. Even people into this music scene are still buying into that, whether they are conscious of it or not. They seem to forget why they got into that music in the first place and all the rules of the mainstream start to take hold again in the underground. They forget their excitement for this music outside of the mainstream stemmed from from being shown something different, it showed them a new perspective as opposed to pandering to a thought already present in them. How then does that get flipped with expectations of more of the same? I really don't want to be a part of that. Take any of the artists you've featured on the site. These artists are doing what they love, yet much of the time this output is being disrespected by their "fans" as it's not what they'd prefer them to be doing. How could any Autechre fan expect them to keep making Confield? Or cater to their tastes in any way? It's absurd isn't it? People will do as they do I suppose, I'd just rather not be involved. Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do. You seem to be a thoughtful enough person, please respect my wishes.

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Fully understood. I'll take the forum down today, although I would like to point out it's not about you as I have said before, but your music - although I really can't see how to separate the two (for most people) easily, since you put a part of yourself into your creative output.

Also, massive LOL at you disliking dubstep (as do I), and being on Planet µ!

I wouldn't say there is a lot of 'hate' on WATMM per se, but very strong opinions - some expressed eloquently, others more crudely.

Best of luck in all your endeavors, and again, nothing personal.

Regards,

James

VSnares:

Thanks James. Yes, dubstep on Mu. That's one of the reasons I started my own label aside from that. Hehe I really have no way to separate myself from my music, suppose if I did, it wouldn't be mine anymore. I think it's like that for the majority of artists out there. It's a good thing really.

Good talking to you,

Aaron

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Likewise - and if I ever change my opinion on your music, rest assured you'll be the first to know and hear that I was wrong.

The forum's been removed, now just to deal with the fallout! :)

VSnares:

:)

Speaking of Fallout, I'm going to play some more New Vegas!

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Ah, you're a gamer too - good to know! PS3 or 360?

Me - PS3 - been going back through God of War III on Titan difficulty (hardest). Fucking epic game.

VSnares:

Both! Ah haven't played a GOW game since the first one, I remember it being really good, have to check out the new one. Yep, total gamer. So much so, I preordered New Vegas for PS3 but then found out the DLCs are exclusive to 360 so I just got the 360 version yesterday. Don't know if you're into the other Fallouts, but this new one is really great, it's pretty much the exact same mechanics as Fallout 3 but way quirkier. There's a perk you can take at the beginning called Weird Wasteland or something that makes you run into the weirdest and silliest situations. Still buggy though, lots of corrupted autosaves, gotta keep remembering to save before fast traveling. Really dig RPGs lately, super immersive. I like action a lot games too. If you like GOW on hardest you should check out Ninja Gaiden 2, that one is pretty satisfying as far as difficulty goes. 360 version is better though, the PS3 port is missing all the gore. :)

Joyrex:

Aaron,

Cool - you should get the God of War Collection as well (available on PSN as a download or on disc) - GoW I & II remastered in HD. I hadn't played either back in the PS2 days, so I really enjoyed playing them for the first time. Was the perfect intro into GoW III and really got me into the whole storyline and gameplay mechanics.

I like RPGs too (although I've been shying away from Final Fantasy XIII), and Fallout too (the corrupt saves scared me too much to invest the time in it). I'd wish they'd stop dicking around and make a Dragon Quest game for PS3 - the PS2 version (DQ 8) was super excellent, and really enjoyed playing that). They keep bringing them out for Nintendo DS, and fuck me if I'm going to play an RPG on a handheld.

Good chatting with you - anytime you want to drop me a line, feel free. I'm actually glad I got a chance to talk with you, albeit under odd (and unfortunate) circumstances.

Basically Joyrex started a VS subforum a few years back and received a PM from Aaron shorty thereafter explaining why he didn't want a subforum on this site. To my knowledge only Joyrex has read the contents of this message.

This is kinda what I understood. There was an attempt to include VSnares in the Featured Artists section, but then it was withdrawn at Aaron Funk's request.

The forum was created on the highpoint of the negativity concerning him. He had only just kicked The Flashbulb of his throne. No surprise he didn't want to be featured then, with 90% troll-threads to come. Would probably look different today, the VSnares-Hate-Train has passed.

Yeah it was a viable idea (he's put out a lot) but doomed at the time. I remember browsing it a bit. I forget how many days it was actually out.

haha so wait, is he suggesting in there that one RDJ, aka guy who supposedly doesn't care what you think about him or his music, actually quit putting out releases because of 'teh haterz'?

"Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do."

fuckin really?

LOL

i imagine afx and vnsares looking at a monitor reading the internets and stumbling across some troll saying afx or vsnares sucks, and single tears rolling down their cheeks

then they call each other up and have a therapeutic cryathon over the phone

haha so wait, is he suggesting in there that one RDJ, aka guy who supposedly doesn't care what you think about him or his music, actually quit putting out releases because of 'teh haterz'?

"Do you know why there aren't any Aphex Twin albums any more? I'm sad to say I do."

fuckin really?

LOL

Who knows - mind you this was 4 years ago, so perhaps at the time that's what was going on... I don't recall any 'hate' for Aphex Twin's music - maybe he means the rabid fans were too much for Richard to deal with. Water under the bridge now though.

So what I'm reading is VS does not want any potential promotion to his music so he can justify the need to hear only positive comments because then he can say he did not "push" the music on the people who don't like it? But he's still selling it as a product? Umm..

Yeah he was on here and xlt for a while, like ten years ago or something. I remember there was some big argument between him and od++ about how legitimate FL is as a production tool; subsequently, there was a compilation of a few of us trying to make more intense drill/breakcore than snares. Only three entries though. Hilarious

damn i would have loved to take place in that. lets start a new drill n bass comp! :D

So what I'm reading is VS does not want any potential promotion to his music so he can justify the need to hear only positive comments because then he can say he did not "push" the music on the people who don't like it? But he's still selling it as a product? Umm..

Not sure how you get that out of the exchange...?

i dont represent watmm at all but, i just dont like vsnares

i feel like you have to be on crystal meth for it to make any sense and i dont shoot crystals into my eyeballs so no-go

plus i think when someone is on crystal meth, everything 'makes sense' and there will be meaning behind any thing like even a chair will have meaning and you can maybe read the chair's thoughts about you if you focus on its vibrations

i do like drukqs tho. but it's actually good. none of vsnares 500 drukqs albums i heard were

*not post pumping here*

please quit with the drukqs comparisons. so. ann. oy. in. g. if anything, he went above and beyond what aphex did with drukqs.

I really dont like him anyways, good for watmm, it gain a bit more credibility no having his souless music featured.

"Souless" is certainly subjective.

Personally I think if we're going to think of modern electronic artists who have pushed the envelope in composition, Aaron Funk should be included. Arguably, he changed jungle to something completely unique to the equal degree Tom Jenkinson has.

Not sure how you get that out of the exchange...?

Maybe I'm reading too much to it but things like this:

I am just a person that loves making music, that loves music in general. I don't want to push it on anybody. I don't expect everybody to enjoy it. Releasing music for people other than my friends to hear is just a means to make a living. It's something I struggle with. At the same time, I leave it up to the music alone to promote itself, not taking part in the media end of things whatsoever.

So the idea of there being a discussion forum about myself in a place I feel very unwelcome makes me really uncomfortable. You know what I mean? It just adds more fuel to a generally accepted facade that I am pushing my music on those people. You say you haven't been able to get into music, that is fine! Please don't try to force yourself get into it, it's just not for you!

To me he's saying that if you don't like his music then you should not comment on it because it was then not meant to you, he was not pushing it and you chose willingly to listen to it. Which is all kinds of silly.

Edit: If you disagree with my opinion then please move on because this was not meant to you and I'm not really pushing my opinions on anybody.

Nice exchance, considering how nasty the atmosphere can be in his music he seems like a decent bloke. I shouldn't have been surprised as some horror directors who make the sickest shit always sound pleasant in interviews.

So, now Grant and Aaron both mentioned the exact same reason for Aphex not to release anything anymore. Because of internetz feedback that isn´t forced upon anyone to be read? Right. And that's coming from someone (Aphex) whos career consists of taking the piss out of everything / supposedly not caring about anything.

It's even weirder that Aaron mentions the other "featured artists" like Autechre like they feel the same way. I remember the AAA where Sean commented on this argument that Aaron and Grant speak about and wrote the complete opposite:

"that interview with grant is weird, it's like he genuinely doesn't understand why people release music

maybe someone fucked up his brain"

I could count the # of artists on 1 hand who could even approach making something at this level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vd3UJJw6o

I hope his next album is back to his glitchy stuff like this. Fool the detector is an awesome release.

Archived