IGNORED

Country Music

Soloman Tump

So my mate from school days has released a country music album.

I don't know much about country, but it is very well produced music with great lyrics and he has a unique voice. Seems to be getting good reviews from the press too.

Anyone here dig this stuff? Specifically Americans? Ags lives in rural Oxfordshire and so its pretty cool to be getting recognised by some of the American radio stations that are playing his tunes. Just wondered if there are any watmm hillbillies and what their opinions are.

http://agsconnolly.com/?page_id=103

This is a recording from a local gig I went to a couple of weeks back

https://soundcloud.com/tunatheday/ags-connolly-live-from-fat

wouldn't say these are all strictly country

heard this on king of the hill, amazing song, hank williams is worth checking out

jimmi dale gilmore has a cameo in the big labowski

okay this is blues

I honestly think country is something you grow into. Lyrically classic country is often melancholy and usually speaks to anyone whose been broke or down on one's luck...well classic country anyway. If you're in the right mood/state of mind it really resonates. I'm not one who is inclined to listen to music that's so centered on lyrics, which is why it's taken me so long to warm up to it.

http://youtu.be/r9Lhhmi0qT0

http://youtu.be/Jc5lZY4N3mM

Country is like any other genre, lot of terrible same-y artists and sounds dominate now (i.e. CMT country, pop country now) but the genre is rich and diverse. I'm in Austin so it's easier for me to be aware of it, but a lot of great alternative country and country influenced rock is around.

It's actually much like hip-hop too: lot of misunderstood impressions of the genre. It's origins are from the rural and poor communities of America, in fact up until the 40's it was listed as "hillbilly records" on radio charts and record sleeves, much the way jazz and R&B was "race music."

More classics:

Western music (big in 40s and 50s):

(0:33)

Also, one last funny coincidence: Hawaiian/"tropical" music and Country music have a lot of similar instruments, particularly steel guitar. The same instrument in all of those beach-y exotic music cues in tv and film is the same instrument used in music cues for scenes where someone is sweating and working on a chain gang in the south. (I think this is partly why Jimmy Buffet is so damn popular.)

Country in a nutshell:

:(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest -Ad-

Where do I start? There must be some good stuff amongst the chaff. Help me WATMM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Lake Swimmers: "Your rocky spine"

Josh Rouse: "My love has gone"

Whiskeytown: "Sit and listen to the rain"

Neil Young: "Don´t let it bring you down"

Townes Van Zandt: "I´ll be here in the morning"

The Jayhawks: "Save it for a rainy day"

Richard Buckner: "Traitor"

Damien Jurado: "Sheets"

Sun Kil Moon: "Lucky Man"

Songs Ohia: "Farewell Transmission"

Christian Kjellvander: "Homeward Rolling Soldier"

Grant Lee Buffalo: "Honey don´t think"

Calexico: "Victor Jara´s hands

Midlake: "Roscoe"

Bruce Springsteen: "Atlantic City"

Iron and Wine: "House by the sea"

Wovenhand: "A holy measure"

Jim White: "Static on the radio"

Guest igloos unlmtd

Louvin Brothers, Hank, classic honky tonk.. & that era of classic country is awesome. Check out the classic country channel HPR1 - it's a free public radio station without commercials & can be streamed. They only play the classics... & it's a great place to start.

I'm also a huge fan of The Byrds, Flying Burritos Brothers, Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, Manassas & Emmylou... essentially the 1st country rock. The Byrds Sweet Heart of the Rodeo, Flying Burritos Gilded Palace of Sin are incredible sister albums. Everly Brothers have a few good tunes in this genre that are right up there.. like Cuckoo Bird or I'm on my way home again.

This sound eventually led to the Outlaw Country phase headed up by Waylon, Willie & others...

For me pedal steel is one of the most amazing instruments.. the tone is so fascinating & how the notes glide is almost celestial. I'm lucky I live in Texas & we have so many old Honky Tonks, dance halls, & awesome juke boxes packed with great tunes.

Guest igloos unlmtd

^ Yes!

I'm a Gene fanatic... Roadmaster & No Other are maybe my fav Gene albums but his more bluegrassy work with Doug Dillard is not to be missed too. Also, The Dillards pre & post Doug have some good tunes but kinda spotty albums. But really this scene was just a couple dozen guys moving between different bands playing in different configurations.

Gene & Gram get a lot of attention - Chris Hillman doesn't get enough praise, I think he is incredible... he is the one that made it through these times.. alive & able to tell the tales...

Here's one from the famous Altamont concert -

Old shit:

Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, some early grateful dead, Patsy Cline

New Shit

The mountain goats, the corb lund band, uncle tupelo

Guest igloos unlmtd

Yeah, the song from Easy Rider & on that album, Wasn't Born To Follow, is a complete classic.

It's a good psych rock album but not much country rock feel to that one.

Guest igloos unlmtd

Can't go wrong with Emmylou Harris:

She is also the ultimate GILF.

For sure, mate. I saw her record her Austin City Limits performance last year & it was so good. Her & Rodney Crowell (another legend), played a healthy dose of Gram & Townes, other classic tunes as well as their own. Their backing band was amazing - a great bunch of musicians that really understood honky tonk / country music.

& she is still a looker.

guilty pleaseure., love the stuff pre 80's. but my favorite is 50's country. One room recordings, like Johnny Cash Sun records stuff. Love Hank Williams. List is endless. Its like time travel.. IDM i travel forward. Old country i go back

Guest igloos unlmtd

Yeah, great tune by Glen. Always, liked his version the best. That & 'Galveston'... being a surfer in Texas, makes that one a instant classic.

But it's totally rad he is playing a Jaguar in that video.. who plays country on a Jag?

I'll back that one up with one of my favorite Charlie tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AZzySLZjk&feature=kp

Edited by igloos unlmtd