IGNORED

Which artists have released on Rephlex, Planet Mu, AND WARP?

dr lopez

Right now I can only think of two (and maybe three)

Luke Vibert --

Kerrier District and Amen Andrews on Rephlex

Self-titled stuff on mu

YosepH on WARP

Mike Paradinas --

µ-Ziq stuff on both Rephlex and mu

Das ist Ein Groovybeat, Ja? on WARP

If we're including remixes.... then I think third prize falls to Ceephax

Volume 1 and 2 on Rephlex

United Acid Emirates on mu

and then Ceephax mix on selection 16

anyone got any others?

Got loads of twos (Drexciya, milanese) but no full on threes...

does any of this matter? NO not at all! That's why I hid it in the Rephlex subforum so maybe less people would get irritated.

thank you for your attention, bye...

Of course Aphex (Bummy on the Planet Mu compilation), can't think of anymore.

I think Vibert takes the cake in having the most + best labeldeal ratio - Rephlex, Warp, Planet Mu, Ninja Tune and Mo Wax being the 5 most impressive imo.

has mark pritchard or tom middleton released on rephlex? - i know tom middleton has worked aphex but not sure if he might have released on rephlex. I don't think he released on mu tho, and vice versa for pritchard - but if you say global comm - i guess that would work.

I'm surprised Leila or Squarepusher (including Tom's other aliases) never did anything with Planet Mu, that said she was on XL Recordings. Tom also put out material with Ninja Tune...as have Kevin Martin (The Bug), Machinedrum, and FaltyDL. Soundmurder & Sk-1 (who also have connections with Ghostly) have released on Rephlex and Planet Mu.

Aphex Twin was on R&S before Rephlex got together. There seems to be more Warp/Rephlex crossover. Speaking of, that's partly why Planet Mu exists, right? An imprint of Virgin? Some IDM artists had major label flings: Leila was on XL for one release, Cylob had one with Sony (Japan).

At the end of the day so much of these multiple label releases come down to style and distribution considerations. Mike P. has mentioned trying to get Actress (who signed with XL) and how Machinedrum and FaltyDL went to Ninja Tune b/c they have more distribution potential.

I've gotten the impression that R&S, XL, Ninja Tune are closer to Warp in terms of sale, whereas Rephlex is hugely influential but smaller overall (and far more niche), more like Merck, Skam, and Mille Plateaux. Planet Mu is somewhere in between, influential and always relevant to trends, but nonetheless seemingly a step down from "major indie" labels like Warp.

I honestly think planet mu has gained in stature in the last 3-4 years. That said, it's still not as well-distributed as ninja tune sadly..

rephlex could be an incredible label. The talent is there in droves.... they're just lazy. Oh yeah and RDJ got divorced.

Skam is an incredibly small label, and sadly also lazy as fuck.

I honestly think planet mu has gained in stature in the last 3-4 years. That said, it's still not as well-distributed as ninja tune sadly..

I do too, the slow but steady support for dubstep and future bass was a good move and that was just the start. Their website revamp coincided with that (was that 2008, 2009?) and it was cool seeing their profile raised beyond being an niche IDM/breakcore label. I personally think Mike P.'s then risky move of approaching the footwork scene nurtured a lot of innovation that will only gain in retrospect appreciation from here on. Overall they've been more innovative than Warp in the last few years (YEAH I TYPED THAT)

You talkin' 'bout the elite trinity? What about the QUAD DAMAGE?!

Mike P and Luke Vibert- as far as I know- are the only ones to hit the old school ultra quadraphekta: Rephlex, Warp, Astralwerks, Planet Mu. Granted, nowadays Astralwerks is a piece of shit label tied-in with Monsanto using Nazi technology to perpetuate ridiculousness, but mid/late 90's, Astralwerks was seen as an actual undergroundish label that was rich in creative juices. In high school in late 90's, Rephlex, Warp, Astralwerks were THE SHIT.

Some related babble:

Warp went to ridiculousness after becoming pop when Ned Beckett left to start LittleBig. Totally sold street cred for blowjobs. I have confirmation that Warp used to be accessible by demo, because Ned contacted me. Demos can still be unofficially sent to editor, which 1% chance it might somehow get listened to.

Rephlex is about as underground as ever; like how they used to only put their demo address on releases, then the website, now it's like- what, do you contact Grant directly in confidence by text? Underground. I have confirmation that Rephlex used to be accessible by demo, because Maf contacted me.

Astralwerks decided to flip their model-- instead of being a hand in the underground to serve the overground, they're now fully in the overground and spray painting their faces to pretend they were just doing graffiti on the local convenient store, but they were actually just talking politics and laughing at the proletariat over champagne with diamonds in it. Despite public announcement that they don't accept unsolicited demos since like 2003, I sent them a 20 pound or so wine crate with a demo in it around 2005. They indeed at least signed and picked it up. So to anyone wanting to send them unsolicited demos: maybe.

Planet Mu started off releasing highly creative works, then it became pop, and nowadays creative works are starting to trickle back in. Planet Mu, it seems, is the only major player in the underground at this point, that is accessible by mere mortals (as opposed to IDM gods). Planet Mu, still accepts demos publicly.

So this thread is about the elite trinity of labels, but the ultra quadraphekta is elite+/// because it can no longer be accomplished.

Planet Mu receives so many fucking demos nowadays, though-- who knows how much true and awesome talent has fallen through the cracks of "Leeet's just skip this demo"? Even Rephlex- for some reason- made a sub-label to release Seapunk. Perhaps that is the only way forward. Because at this rate, eventually, even Planet Mu is going to become inaccessible to all those autistic and borderline mentally retarded musical geniuses that deserve to share their juices with the world.

If you're reading this Mike P..... Please don't skip my demos, man! Remmemeemmmeeber mmEEEEee~~~~! I SO GOOD! I SUCK YO DIIIIICK!!!!! (all sincere, except sucking your dick)

You talkin' 'bout the elite trinity? What about the QUAD DAMAGE?!

Mike P and Luke Vibert- as far as I know- are the only ones to hit the old school ultra quadraphekta: Rephlex, Warp, Astralwerks, Planet Mu. Granted, nowadays Astralwerks is a piece of shit label tied-in with Monsanto using Nazi technology to perpetuate ridiculousness, but mid/late 90's, Astralwerks was seen as an actual undergroundish label that was rich in creative juices.

I remember Astralwerks was a big deal for me back in 2003/2004 or so because big beat was my foray into electronic music and Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, and Fatboy Slim all put out their U.S. releases via Astralwerks. I haven't followed them for years but safe electronic dance pop seems to be their angle now. It's crazy that they were so IDM/ambient techno oriented when they first started: u-ziq, FSOL, Seefeel, Space Time Continuum ambient comps, etc.

/imagines vibert tucking in labels and turning their light off, after reading them a bedtime story that consists of repeated verbal passages and funky beats over acid lines.

Archived