IGNORED

First world questions:

fenton

Is shampoo useless or are we just buying into the hype that surfactants make our hair "healthy"?

it's useless, you can just use baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil. There are some reasons to use shampoo, but not to make your hair healthy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From The Washington Post: Having Trouble Choosing between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's?

No I am not having trouble choosing between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Next question!

Is shampoo useless or are we just buying into the hype that surfactants make our hair "healthy"?

it's useless, you can just use baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil. There are some reasons to use shampoo, but not to make your hair healthy.

I use it to clean. Never have I thought it would make the hair healthier.

There are numerous benefits. You can look all over for the information. Generally, shampoos have tons of foreign chemicals as well as being designed to create a false healthiness. I'm sure there are some nice shampoos. I have one that I use that is all natural, and designed to help prevent balding. It's very nice and not harsh. It's called Pura d'or. It seems expensive but in actuality it takes a very very small amount of shampoo because it foams up nicely. One bottle lasts me months. If you use natural things like coconut oil and vinegar it's good to wash your hair with shampoo every few days. Neither gets your hair totally clean. Coconut oil is supposedly to help prevent balding by maintaining scalp health as well. I also use Nizoral because its active ingredient is a known androgen blocker. I use it every 4 days. My receding hairline is actually growing back, but I'm not sure how much it will come back without the help of something like minoxidil. So, you know. Man made things have their place, but I think if your putting lots of things on your body that have a million chemicals you've never heard of it seems unnecessary.

how many gallons of oil do i have to burn to earn a free bag of doritos at safeway?

depends on how inefficiently you are burning it. the worse your epa score, the better. if it's really bad you get a pepsi as well.

///

did i get an std from the toilet seat at a university? is it possible to get an std without ever having done the S through which the D is T? Is it B12 deficiency?

Has Beck finally sold out?

Yes, it is. Probably the type of exposure vs the health of the exposed individual is a factor.

Guest fiznuthian

There are numerous benefits. You can look all over for the information. Generally, shampoos have tons of foreign chemicals as well as being designed to create a false healthiness. I'm sure there are some nice shampoos. I have one that I use that is all natural, and designed to help prevent balding. It's very nice and not harsh. It's called Pura d'or. It seems expensive but in actuality it takes a very very small amount of shampoo because it foams up nicely. One bottle lasts me months. If you use natural things like coconut oil and vinegar it's good to wash your hair with shampoo every few days. Neither gets your hair totally clean. Coconut oil is supposedly to help prevent balding by maintaining scalp health as well. I also use Nizoral because its active ingredient is a known androgen blocker. I use it every 4 days. My receding hairline is actually growing back, but I'm not sure how much it will come back without the help of something like minoxidil. So, you know. Man made things have their place, but I think if your putting lots of things on your body that have a million chemicals you've never heard of it seems unnecessary.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right. There's a million different brands of shampoo, and among them there's only a handful of ingredients common to all of them. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a big one. SLS is a surfectant and a detergent.

This is going to sound awful, and maybe i've been reading too much of the Cooling Inflammation blog (this guy is fucking brilliant), but I these days I shower very infrequently and when I do I don't use shampoo. Funny that since then I have had people tell me I smell nice. If they only knew i'm a dirty boy. :mellow:

I've noticed that my hair seems nicer since giving up the 'poo. Shampoo dries my hair out, and conditioner makes my naturally thick hair seem thin and weird. As long as I don't use that shit, the oils on my scalp stay consistent without overproducing and it has a lovely texture to it. Weird thing is I've even had people compliment my hair. Once again, if they only knew I do absolutely nothing to it. At most i run some water over it..

It's probably just me being a stubborn fuck and reacting to the annoying advertisement industry that insists you're a filthy animal if you don't use their cleaning products and stay "hygenic". Jokes on them because just like every other organism we are not just tissue, but also substrate for a dizzying array of microorganisms that find our survival in their own interest. Companies advertise their products that make our day to day life more sterile. A more realistic approach might be to strive for some kind of middle ground. Constantly sterilizing our bodies and habitat may not be the best idea, but at the same time we may find times when it's appropriate. Research on the gut environment is getting very interesting these days, and while medicines have enabled us to prevent many diseases, their overuse is also becoming problematic in many ways. A lot of first world folks are destroying their intestinal ecosystem. I have a suspicion evidence will accumulate in favor of the organisms that live on our surface.

I'm gross.. sorry :cry:

Yeah, something doesn't seem right. There's a million different brands of shampoo, and among them there's only a handful of ingredients common to all of them. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a big one. SLS is a surfectant and a detergent.

This is going to sound awful, and maybe i've been reading too much of the Cooling Inflammation blog (this guy is fucking brilliant), but I these days I shower very infrequently and when I do I don't use shampoo. Funny that since then I have had people tell me I smell nice. If they only knew i'm a dirty boy. :mellow:

I've noticed that my hair seems nicer since giving up the 'poo. Shampoo dries my hair out, and conditioner makes my naturally thick hair seem thin and weird. As long as I don't use that shit, the oils on my scalp stay consistent without overproducing and it has a lovely texture to it. Weird thing is I've even had people compliment my hair. Once again, if they only knew I do absolutely nothing to it. At most i run some water over it..

It's probably just me being a stubborn fuck and reacting to the annoying advertisement industry that insists you're a filthy animal if you don't use their cleaning products and stay "hygenic". Jokes on them because just like every other organism we are not just tissue, but also substrate for a dizzying array of microorganisms that find our survival in their own interest. Companies advertise their products that make our day to day life more sterile. A more realistic approach might be to strive for some kind of middle ground. Constantly sterilizing our bodies and habitat may not be the best idea, but at the same time we may find times when it's appropriate. Research on the gut environment is getting very interesting these days, and while medicines have enabled us to prevent many diseases, their overuse is also becoming problematic in many ways. A lot of first world folks are destroying their intestinal ecosystem. I have a suspicion evidence will accumulate in favor of the organisms that live on our surface.

I'm gross.. sorry :cry:

I don't use shampoo or conditioner and my hair isn't greasy and is very thick and healthy. I find shampoo dries out my scalp and then my body responds by producing oils, making me greasy... It's a vicious cycle because then you have to shampoo the grease out.

Could the rate at which things change from cool to not cool be slowed down a bit for those of us who are very busy?

and the rate of uncool things being cool again ironically and then unironically and then played out

man, is this is why so many people wear solid polo shirts and jeans all the time?

Archived