IGNORED

Millie & Andrea - Drop The Vowels

Redruth

i5ajZgD.jpg

"The album recalls the strict and stripped funk of Anthony Shakir as much as it does Leila’s incredible debut ‘Like Weather’, eschewing the dark aesthetic both producers are best known for in favour of something much more visceral. It’s an album borne from a love of both pop and club music, made to evoke an adrenalised, hedonistic, as well as an emotional response."

look / listen / piccadilly records http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/prod/MillieAndrea-DropTheVowels-ModernLove-95745.html

was waiting for someone to make this thread so I didn't have to. first release of 2014 that's got me itching for a listen..

all i need was "andy stott makes juke" for me to get an instant semi

shitty description - but the samples sound fun.

wow those samples are very juicy. I did give an Andy Stott EP several listens three or four years ago, I thought it was nice but for some reason I don't have it anymore. Any recommendations? Luxury Problems I guess?

wow those samples are very juicy. I did give an Andy Stott EP several listens three or four years ago, I thought it was nice but for some reason I don't have it anymore. Any recommendations? Luxury Problems I guess?

luxury problems was actually pretty bad but for some reason got sucked up into the pitchfork echo chamber for hipsters - we stay together and passed me by are fuckin riiiiiiiiight.

luxury problems was actually pretty bad but for some reason got sucked up into the pitchfork echo chamber for hipsters - we stay together and passed me by are fuckin riiiiiiiiight.

I didn't think luxury problems was that bad, but these 2 eps are the fucking bizness. That pitchfork bullshit is too typical of them, it's like they can't go back and admit they either slept on or misjudged a good electronic album - the stott eps and room(s) are perfect examples - so they just heap retroactive praise on whatever comes out next regardless of whether it's warranted.

crazy just how extremely obvious it is how indebted a lot of this stuff is (andy stott, demdike stare) to early mid 80s industrial music but almost never a mention of this legacy in any of the press materials.

Listened to Luxury Problems yesterday, sounds quite arid but it could grow on me, who knows. Not sure about the hot female lyrics though. Anyway my next plan is to listen to the EPs, thanks for the suggestions.

crazy just how extremely obvious it is how indebted a lot of this stuff is (andy stott, demdike stare) to early mid 80s industrial music but almost never a mention of this legacy in any of the press materials.

any examples ? I would like to hear that

popular types of musics repeating themselves eh? i don't think anyone this go-round is trying to hide anything? maybe somebody did. many artists i think, would rather the music speak for itself? - anyway, the late eights and then, of course, the nines, musically speaking, were quite alot of fun, i must say.

Well, the biggest sign of getting older in electronic music is realizing how nobody cares like we do. For instance, I can remember things like this

http://youtu.be/l8ft6gu9FL0

which is about 80% of Andy Stott's aesthetic in one 12" 20 years removed. The artists themselves are not going to bring up how everything old is new because that would dilute their brand. The current interviewers and taste makers weren't even close to being born when Front 242 and Cabaret Voltaire were laying down the framework so few of them would even know what to ask or bring up.

[autism intensifies]

Sounds like that vocal sample was being passed around quite a bit back then, which is great b/c I think it works well.

I haven't really listened to Andy Stott. I saw a performance of his once, but unfortunately I walked out not because the perfomance was necessarily bad, but the venue didn't work for his kind of music. The whole place resonated and the seats' rumbling was louder than anything he was making at several times. I'm considering checking out the EPs though if he's being compared to 80s industrial music. I'm interested to hear more examples: Cabaret Voltaire, Front 242, SPK and the like, I would definitely like to see a discussion about that.

Srsly just writing off andy stott as derivative of something like that is a bit much. While his early stuff was mostly straight up dub techno with nothing particularly ambitious or dark, what he hit on and executed flawlessly with the 2 eps was a dank, crunked-out hybrid with wonky hiphop (that bass thump is literally coated in a reduction of bong resin and sizzurp) and scorn-like moodiness (and none of that cheesy witch house tripe either). it remains as fresh as anything to come out from IDMz & technos circles in a while, dude he's a class producer and knows wtf he's doing with tried and modern dub production techniques.

That said i'll probably take a pass on this release based on what I'm hearing; side experiments like this rarely ever deliver the goods

Yeah I love most of the other stuff from these 2 guys but this is not really doing much for me.

Might give the stream another listen first tho before I give up on it cause these dudes got skills but this might be a miss for me

i've always considered the tracs below, inside the spoiler, to be very good from them, but i don't have an opinion on the new album - yet

[youtubehd]umoKKO9yr_I&list=PLRZIkEk362AAK4tQ4-cGR0ft1ilj8qtVH[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]uLs8xLm2ahs&list=PLRZIkEk362AAK4tQ4-cGR0ft1ilj8qtVH[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]whxg5AvYVXo&list=PLRZIkEk362AAK4tQ4-cGR0ft1ilj8qtVH[/youtubehd]

oh' and that gunshot trac

Guest Popemobile v2

This is actually pretty tight. I'd caution you guys who are thinking of not giving it a chance because it's "just a side project" to... give it a chance. It seems to be a pretty 50/50 collab, and not something quickly thrown out for shits n giggles, but something substantive with a lot of fresh thoughtful moments. Pleasantly surprised by this, since I'm not a big fan of Stott or Demdike (Miles' last album was good though), and collabs like this usually don't live up to their potential.

Archived