IGNORED

Millie & Andrea - Drop The Vowels

Redruth

This is actually pretty tight. I'd caution you guys who are thinking of not giving it a chance because it's "just a side project" to... give it a chance. It seems to be a pretty 50/50 collab, and not something quickly thrown out for shits n giggles, but something substantive with a lot of fresh thoughtful moments. Pleasantly surprised by this, since I'm not a big fan of Stott or Demdike (Miles' last album was good though), and collabs like this usually don't live up to their potential.

Good to hear, I have literally just ordered this before coming here and some of the comments sucked some of the life out of my excitement. I ordered on the strength of the artists and the previews on Boomkat.

This is actually pretty tight. I'd caution you guys who are thinking of not giving it a chance because it's "just a side project" to... give it a chance. It seems to be a pretty 50/50 collab, and not something quickly thrown out for shits n giggles, but something substantive with a lot of fresh thoughtful moments. Pleasantly surprised by this, since I'm not a big fan of Stott or Demdike (Miles' last album was good though), and collabs like this usually don't live up to their potential.

really enjoying this!

Good to hear, I have literally just ordered this before coming here and some of the comments sucked some of the life out of my excitement. I ordered on the strength of the artists and the previews on Boomkat.

so far i'm excited only by portions of this - at the same time there r sections which feel somewhat empty, as though they are only lacking; by a hair's breadth, what would marry the sounds

don't know wtf boomkat was talking about with the gamelan sample/intro? like huh? gamelan player for 5 years here... didn't hear one gong or saron... sounded more like middle eastern thing. whatever.

I do think that streaming is really my preferred method of listening - I'll wait for the album to really listen and mull it over.

d-lo out

Guest Ron Manager

i've never been into this Millie & Andrea stuff. on paper it's an ideal collab, but it just doesn't do much for me.

Srsly just writing off andy stott as derivative of something like that is a bit much. While his early stuff was mostly straight up dub techno with nothing particularly ambitious or dark, what he hit on and executed flawlessly with the 2 eps was a dank, crunked-out hybrid with wonky hiphop (that bass thump is literally coated in a reduction of bong resin and sizzurp) and scorn-like moodiness (and none of that cheesy witch house tripe either). it remains as fresh as anything to come out from IDMz & technos circles in a while, dude he's a class producer and knows wtf he's doing with tried and modern dub production techniques.

i agree - i'm not convinced Stott is ripping off or deliberately not acknowledging any debts to anything like has been posted above. even putting him and Demdike in the same camp seems a bit of a stretch... the two have very different sounds if you sit down and listen to them. i don't think any of these guys would deny the influence of 80s industrial etc, but Andy Stott in particular is pretty unique, and for my money one of the more interesting producers around today. i'm still waiting to be suggested something that genuinely sounds like those 2 EPs.

i don't think Luxury Problems is bad, but it just so obviously pales in comparison to PMB and WST.

this sounds like the typicial millie and andrea stuff put through an instant andy stott filter. killer tracks which sound extremly modern and oldschool at the same time. though i would love one or two cleaner ones.

Pre-ordered this from Bleep, waiting for the physical copy to arrive but I figured I'd be able to dl the digital files today, but theres nothing in my dashboard on Bleep... Maybe they will become available later today, I hope so I really want to hear this in full.

You can still stream:

http://thump.vice.com/en_uk/words/exclusive-listen-to-millie--andreas-drop-the-vowels-lp

I wouldn't rely on Bleep, you'll probably get half the tracks in digital and a Bleep t-shirt through the post instead.

https://soundcloud.com/modernlove/sets/millie-andrea-drop-the-vowels

Plus you live in the states. Why not order from Forced Exposure, Mimaroglu, or Experimedia?

http://beta.forcedexposure.com/SearchResult.html?SearchType=Basic&Type=artist&Key=millie

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=index&typefilter=record_company&record_company_id=141

All of the above are pretty quick on the shipping. I'm sure with Bleep it'll take a couple weeks.

Plus you live in the states. Why not order from Forced Exposure, Mimaroglu, or Experimedia?

http://beta.forcedexposure.com/SearchResult.html?SearchType=Basic&Type=artist&Key=millie

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=index&typefilter=record_company&record_company_id=141

All of the above are pretty quick on the shipping. I'm sure with Bleep it'll take a couple weeks.

Wasn't aware of these sites, I'll have to consider them in the future... I ended up just finding a link to a leak, but still glad I ordered a copy as this shit is awesome.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

this is my first millie and andrea release. it's happier than I expected from andy stott and half of demdike stare. I was expecting something super darkside. still great, though. I like how it's got the one footwork-influenced track.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived