IGNORED

Future Islands (did Irony officially break?)

sheatheman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHHxOyP_Sc

Ever see that episode of Frasier where they find that old Shakespeare actor at the scifi convention? And they get him to do solo Shakespeare and it turns out that he is actually quite deluded and not very good at all?

It's like some beach-gaze tumblr-pop guys were mucking around for years and got desperate and found a guy from the community theater to front them.

Get ready to hear people freak out about this band for a good 3 years.

This vid is from 2011 but they were on Letterman earlier in March.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i revise my statement, this is bigger than a pumpkin.

clearly shatner has managed to make love to the moon, who has hurled the child back at us to destroy our artistic integrity.

Sometimes I feel like new bands are popular because a lot of young people and old people with limited musical taste/knowledge coincidentally all happen upon the same slightly unique thing and then freak out. Meat Loaf level mellow drama + MOR 00s dance-pop = OMGZZZZZZZ

That's these guys in a nutshell.

shatner and a pumpkin had a child innit

lolz

I feel excited for the singer.

I'm not sure the other guys are aware they're in the band.

Yeah, my first take as well.

I've heard some older songs that were ok, like this one...

http://youtu.be/5wz6Ec8zSvk

but that's decent at best imo, not at all memorable

joshua, ofcourse the band is mediocre. that frontman though, is something else. his letterman performance is effing legendary.

dem moves

dem deep growley "i've been hanging on you"'s and other indefinable roars.

this is how all 10s era indie pop will sound to teenagers 20 years from now when their parents try to show them how much better music sounded back in our day

it also sounds like something you'd put in a commercial to sell midsize sedans to hipsters who've nearly burned through their 20s & now fear they've begun to lose hold of the cultural zeitgeist

that said i don't hate it

joshua, ofcourse the band is mediocre. that frontman though, is something else. his letterman performance is effing legendary.

Totally, I can't deny that nor fault them for trying to stand out for that reason.

Also, I have to admit I like when Letterman geeks out over something, he's got a good and random track record of championing often random things (Zappa, R.E.M. early on, and Beavis and Butthead, which he called "one of the greatest achievements of the 20th century")

Fucking LOL - was that LOL Alzado leading the band? (no offense, LOL - he sorta looks like you) And that dancing! Like a fucking praying mantis or one of those inflatable tube creatures that flail about when driven by a blower fan underneath.

I've said it before and i'll say it again:

He is going for the, "I'm so american that I puke used motor oil when I sing" shtick, owed to Waits, Springsteen et al.

He has a huge back log of sonnets that he does in soliloquy while he forgets that he fronts these post-aware Brooklyn burnouts.

oh dogs i have that balance song stuck in my head now

i think

i think i kind of like it

and lesbihonest here - if someone asked me to front an indie pop band on national tv there's a good chance i'd go full clownpants as well

their name should actually be FuTuR3 IsLaNdzzz, like tUnEyArDz

tiny desk concert: check

letterman: check

playing in the organic soap pop up shop: check

this in music form: check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ilXxZz1RU

@ 1:45

LOL

(also thank you for watching frasier enough to reference this)

@owen he was already full clownpants.

i think my problem is that the subtext we've delved into here is and will be absent from most of the laudatory facebook shares and tumblr posts. people are actually, genuinely going to start using this band as a status badge.

@josh no problem i watch it every night. can't sleep without at least 2 episodes usually.

The bassist seems to have morphed into a lesbian from the first gig to the letterman gig.

I KNOW!

I have never seen a man look more like a Colorado part-time service dog trainer bookstore lesbian.

Archived