IGNORED

Future Islands (did Irony officially break?)

sheatheman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the hate. I like Future Islands =(

maybe I just don't understand the context because I don't listen to a lot of "band" music.

Is this style cliche or a trend right now or something? spell it out plsss

I'm not sure what it is! I don't understand this thread haha

Sheathe the frontman sings like what I imagine you would talk like regularly (based on your pics in the post your most recent pic thread) lol

Saw these guys at my local hipster shit dive bar/venue a year or so ago, it wasn't that bad at first but it got old fairly quickly. I understand how that Letterman performance is pretty enjoyable, but what about over an hour of it? The frontman kept the drama at a steady 10 which was effectively exhausting and I ended up leaving. Of course they were a big hit with the crowd.

it also sounds like something you'd put in a commercial to sell midsize sedans to hipsters who've nearly burned through their 20s & now fear they've begun to lose hold of the cultural zeitgeist

accuracy

i knew this would be a good thread! i've got a good hold on the zeitgeist!!!

stephen, talking like that is one thing, one thing i do, but singing like that? when you talk normally?

lolol

this is the exact kind of low key stuff i want a radio station always playing when im alone by myself (so a typical night) in my dark bedroom, over my alarm clock radio, to make me feel lonely as hell, but also to make me know that i'm not alone, lulling me peacefully at 1-2am while i'm drifting to sleep

its what im going to call 2am lonely alarm clock radio music. its a place

you know? that tiny sound coming over those tiny speakers, reverberating in the room. at that hour where everything on the outside dissolves away and there's nothing else. just a dark room and this. maybe an occasional small town local radio station dj saying some things nobody will ever hear.

outside of that i wouldn't put this on, but its OK

one of the best bands to come out of usa in recent years imo

on the water is a great album

Not sure if being sarcastic... but I really thought so. I liked In Evening Air better though.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

the singer kind of reminds me of an easy listening version of captain beefheart. he should get a better backing band, though.

captain beefheart had a great voice

like a couple of rabid racoons in a sack, fighting

but look at that drummer's outfit

wtf is that a potato sack vest and some kids underwear on his head?

That letterman performance was alright, he's got a good voice. So i skimmed a youtub clip of a performance at some record store and it seems like someone decided to take an hardcore, or something of that ilk, vocalist and mash it with go nowhere unobtrusive synth music. I look forward to death metal vocals over candy pop next, (i know that we've already had candy pop vocals over death metal).

I agree with the better backing band idea.

Also, the singer looks a lot like a mash of 50's brando with a smidgin of lolzada. Which is probably part of the appeal. Actually i wondered what lolalzado had been up to lately. heheheh.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

captain beefheart had a great voice

he did. he could really sing AND do crazy voices too

I laughed my ass off at this video btw. song is ok

Guest Jonah

irony's been played out for as long as hipster has been an insult. 10+ years? ironic deaths or at least pain are still legit tho.

if anything the gimmick is that the singer sells authentic looking sincerity with the "proof" that it's "real" is that the singer is a goof ball? my take is it's a put on. i'd like to see him in movie though. remake of taxi driver? dunno. sprngsteen pulls the authentic trick off for me, but only because nebraska, name checking suicide/doing an awesome cover.

anyway, just in terms of sonics 1st thing i think of is jack black, but then i'm reminded of john cale, gotta go listen to wrong way up...

Archived