IGNORED

When do you listen?

Leon Sumbitches

I'd imagine most watmmers listen to more music than the average punter. When do you do most of your listening though? Do people make time for specifically sitting down and listening to new albums?

I do a lot of commuting by train so that's when I tend to play new albums. That, and when I'm farting around on the internet, procrastinating when I should really be doing something much more important. I do a lot of writing, always accompanied by music, but for me that's never 'new music' time- I tend to have a playlist that's basically background music for that.

When do all you beautiful people squeeze in music-listening time? Just curious.

Oh, and as an aside, does anyone have some sort of system for listening to new music, a to-listen pile, or whatever? A housemate last year gave me a hard drive's worth of excellent hip-hop and dub, so I've been ploughing through that lately.

I'm generally pretty busy here, working full time and it's shift work to boot. The kids come first so it's generally after 7pm and then it's mainly checking links and new tracks I've been sent. And with a well earned bevvie too lol

i was listening to 10 albums a month a mix of old and new, and only allowed myself those 10, but now I've listened to everything I wanted to I just have a playlist of 13 things I'm working my way through and I listen to other stuff when I feel like it. My headphones are broken else I'd listen on the way to work too - I need some noise cancelling ones for the tube though

I might go back to the 10 a month scheme though - you get much more familiar with stuff, and it stopped me listening exclusively to melvins and snares and ceephax all the time

I also listen to music when I get back from the charity shop or when I have an hour or two to listen to my random charity shop buys

Or if I buy an album from someone I really love, then I listen as soon as it arrives

I'm pretty lucky I guess... I start work at 5.30am and up until 7.30am my job entails I work alone, peacefully and with no bother from people so I play a lot of mainly new music then. After that everything goes a little beserk lol, Until about 9.30am where I am still busy but can still play music, though mostly I listen to talk radio or just get on with my work quickly and quietly, I've noticed if I have music or the radio on it naturally makes me work slower!! If I work in silence I'm done 30 minutes earlier lol. I'm usually finished by 1pm.

Saturdays and Sundays I spend listening to a lot of my older records. And I think winter and summer effects my listening habits too.

Lots of my listening is done the train. If I don't have to go out I usually put something on as soon as I get up and just listen my newest records all day while doing stuff around the house. For doing school work or the like, I usually go to RDJ, Vladislav Delay, Pole, and/or Gas.

My working day has slots of around 9:30am - 2:00pm and 3:00pm - 4:30pm of both earphones in as an unofficial "Do Not Disturb". I generally put a playlist on my iPod each week of my new stuff and play that through each day of the week. If it's a short playlist that week I'll generally put the iPod on random or listen to iPartridge (probably done fully about 7 times) or old radio shows.

After work I generally study for a few hours which consists of going through albums I fancy on the computer with some off plastic. Plastic also used a lot of the weekend, pretty much just put on what I feel I might like to hear at that point.

I always listen, except when I'm hanging out with people.

My headphones used to go with me everywhere, if I had a spare 5 minutes I'd be listening to my new recent finds. I hardly use them now though - I must be getting old and prefer more quiet time now lol

Saying that yeah, I guess I pre-plan time to listen when I can, I also picked up a new hifi (which is lush) and I've found I save new albums to listen to on that when I can.

Yeah, commuting is the perfect time to listen some music. I also do it in my room. I've NEVER ever listened music while walking down the street or similar. I think that's stupid. I always get deep inside the music so I need to be relaxed.

I get all my listening in during walks, which tends to amount to about an hour and a half of recreational music listening per day (add another 8 hours of listening to whatever projects I'm working on to that... gets to be a bit exhausting). I never listen to music while on the internet, as I'm too distracted to really take it in, plus that's a much needed respite from constant sound. I'm not a fan of background music. When it's there it's a focal point for me. As for listening habits, lately I've been going through artist discographies. In the last three months I've gone through all of Parliament, Can, Abba, Yes (up until they went the pop route), Radiohead (hadn't listened to them in a while, and they're a great mixing reference), The Stooges, plus a few one off albums when I've needed a break from OCD discog listening. I'm partway through Beck's discog now, inspired by the release of his new album, aka Sea Change Pt2 (not a bad thing!). This year one of my resolutions was to familiarize myself with more music from the 70's, hence many of those discog choices.

I mostly listen while I'm at my day job (on the computer). I make music on the train. And while I'm walking I listen to podcasts.

I've got a "new stuff" Spotify playlist, as well as a huge list of favorites that I cycle through.

I think taking a walk is perfect for getting deep inside the music.

Troof - headphones were meant for this :music: Unfortunately I have a nasty track record with them in that i seem to blow thru a pair every 3-12 months on average... still dusk & nighttime are particular favorites, and I like to mix it up between the familiar and unfamiliar, urban and natural surroundings, etc.

Also caning massif choons out yer car stereo is highly underrated

Enjoying music whilst stoned is quite nice too

Guest Akiak

If I listen to music while walking around I get distracted, forget where I'm going and get lost. So I don't do that anymore.

mostly I listen to music on my weekend-mornings trekking/hiking tours thru my audiophile mobile setup (I like it best, when it's still dark outside),

or at work with in-ears.

Sometimes when the wife and kid is out the house, I take my time to listen to a record thru my stereo setup at high volumes.

Guest Ron Manager

mostly I listen to music on my weekend-mornings trekking/hiking tours thru my audiophile mobile setup (I like it best, when it's still dark outside),

or at work with in-ears.

Sometimes when the wife and kid is out the house, I take my time to listen to a record thru my stereo setup at high volumes.

what's your mobile setup? i've had a Fiio e17 for about a year now and it's one of the best things i've ever bought. i get a lot of use out of it with my laptop too.

or at work with in-ears.

what's your mobile setup? i've had a Fiio e17 for about a year now and it's one of the best things i've ever bought. i get a lot of use out of it with my laptop too.

Cowon S9 + Fiio E11 + either Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Beyerdynamic T50p (but for longer tours I only use the Senns.)

I be toying with the idea to get a Meier Corda Quickstep or a Ray Samuels Hornet.

Guest Ron Manager

or at work with in-ears.

Cowon S9 + Fiio E11 + either Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Beyerdynamic T50p (but for longer tours I only use the Senns.)

I be toying with the idea to get a Meier Corda Quickstep or a Ray Samuels Hornet.

nice. right now i have iPod classic (80GB) + Fiio E17 + AKG K550. however, i often find that i just listen to music on my phone these days. i recently got a Nexus 5, and i'd love to get my E17 going with that, but it seems that a bit of know-how is required to get USB audio out on the N5, and i don't know enough about CyanogenMod or messing around with android to be confident enough to dive into this yet.

those two headphone amps look amazing, but definitely out of my price range for now. perhaps for the future though... :music:

or at work with in-ears.

nice. right now i have iPod classic (80GB) + Fiio E17 + AKG K550. however, i often find that i just listen to music on my phone these days. i recently got a Nexus 5, and i'd love to get my E17 going with that, but it seems that a bit of know-how is required to get USB audio out on the N5, and i don't know enough about CyanogenMod or messing around with android to be confident enough to dive into this yet.

those two headphone amps look amazing, but definitely out of my price range for now. perhaps for the future though... :music:

it's a bit of a let down that I can feed the amp only with the cowon's headphone jack, otherwise i would have gone with the e17, too.

but fiio does a pretty good job with their products and they are well worth their price. and the new designs are awesome (fiio e12).

the cowon would go nicely by itself with my cans, but sometimes I just need the extra power the fiio provides.

i heard the akg's are "quite good", and i nearly bought the 545's a few weeks ago.

damn this audio-virus...

When do all you beautiful people squeeze in music-listening time? Just curious.

mainly at night- especially when i really want to hear the music because that's when it's quiet and i've done all my tv and movie watching. i'll also squeeze in a listen to and from work, but that's mainly to catch a jam i already heard and enjoyed. first time i listen to something- i wanna hear it at home, at night with headphones- totally immersed in the music

Guest Ron Manager

or at work with in-ears.

it's a bit of a let down that I can feed the amp only with the cowon's headphone jack, otherwise i would have gone with the e17, too.

but fiio does a pretty good job with their products and they are well worth their price. and the new designs are awesome (fiio e12).

the cowon would go nicely by itself with my cans, but sometimes I just need the extra power the fiio provides.

i heard the akg's are "quite good", and i nearly bought the 545's a few weeks ago.

damn this audio-virus...

i agree. i previously had a Fiio e05, which was my introduction to portable amps, and then later got the 17 which is so versatile. e12 looks like it's a great product too.

i think the K550s are great. i wanted something closed back for travel and portable use (although they're not ideal for this in truth as they're pretty big), and i think they sound marvellous. main drawback is an excessively long cable (something i gather they've fixed with the slightly 'upgraded' K551s) which is non-detachable. looks like you get this with the K545s, which are probably what i need really, but i presume they are a newer model. hey-ho.

Archived