IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as much as i like the idea/intention behind this, i honestly feel very uncomfortable justifying a reason to pay that much (i mean total amount of $13,500USD) for a record. i mean, didn't he just come to that figure based on his (correct) assumption that "someone would pay that much" as opposed to just properly valuing the item?

i'd also be curious what richard/rephlex's opinion about this is. i see this kind of thing happening a lot on discogs and i can't lie but say it's something i'm really against

Ask the seller for a short sample of something we know should be on there. That's reasonable.

Grant (not through me) has confirmed to others this is legit, and the seller confirmed (to me) that Rephlex gave permission to sell it.

as much as i like the idea/intention behind this, i honestly feel very uncomfortable justifying a reason to pay that much (i mean total amount of $13,500USD) for a record. i mean, didn't he just come to that figure based on his (correct) assumption that "someone would pay that much" as opposed to just properly valuing the item?

i'd also be curious what richard/rephlex's opinion about this is. i see this kind of thing happening a lot on discogs and i can't lie but say it's something i'm really against

I agree; I would never pay 13K for a record. It's the old adage - it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it - so if it sells at this price, then so be it. The impact on music sales or music in general is nil since this is for a collector's item, commanding a value like that due to it's rarity and the fact the tracks are not commercially available.

25$ is pretty expensive but heck, this is freaking Aphex unreleased material... I can perfectly understand that "non-hardcore fan" are not ready to invest this sum of money. With 25$ you can have 3 records on bandcamp.

its not about the money, its about dignity. This doesn't seem normal, this shouldn't be how the artists/fan relationship should be.

I know what you mean. But Richards relationship with his fans isn't what you call 'normal', what with all the bullshit he throws our way etc

i voted yes but not 25, 12bucks seem reasonable

who ever it is that asks $13,500 for a 20year old lp should be sacrificed like the virgin he/she is, its criminal to ask a price like that

i'd like to have proof it's the real deal, and that the lp is still mint condition also

just release a new album James, look what you are doing to us, for gods sake man!!! :dry:

25 bucks is way too much for an album not worth being released in the first place that will just leak 15 minutes ater files make it to the buyers. it's a very beautiul but silly thing to even consider it not being uploaded everywhere. selling one copy and keeping the content under wraps is a way better scenario than giving it to rest of the world for free at expense of 500 peeps, which i guess is why its so freaking expensive. i mean i just dunno. i can pitch in 10 bucks for mp3 files if that will make it happen but the whole thing is just icky.

No. Judging from the clips and stuff, there's no way this is worth 35,000 USD. Asking that much money for a single record is pretty silly no matter the quality of the music, actually. Supporting something like that doesn't sit right with me.

25 bucks is way too much for an album not worth being released in the first place that will just leak 15 minutes ater files make it to the buyers.

But it will only leak if enough people pay 25 bucks.

It doesn't feel 100% correct to do this, no, but I'm willing to pay money to hear this instead of downloading a leak of it. I'd just want my money to go to the correct person in the end - RDJ - since it's his music. Just like any other music purchase. Except this one has a middle person who will make a ridiculous amount of money by the fortune of possessing this mythical 2xLP.

From the listing - "a chance to share the music"

That makes me think the seller has permission to sell it, knowing full well there's a big chance it'll end up being shared all over the net.

i voted yes but not 25, 12bucks seem reasonable

who ever it is that asks $13,500 for a 20year old lp should be sacrificed like the virgin he/she is, its criminal to ask a price like that

i'd like to have proof it's the real deal, and that the lp is still mint condition also

just release a new album James, look what you are doing to us, for gods sake man!!! :dry:

ha! actually, i'd think the older a record is the more valued it is (considering that over time the record has gained some kind of mythical reputation and/or appreciation), although i think it's more about the historical value of the music than the age (i.e. here is rare glimpse into a time when aphex twin was still developing his sound)

personally i just have a problem paying that much and perhaps i echo deer's sentiments about being "crack addicts". maybe my feelings would be different if i knew the only way to rescue the sound was to purchase it myself otherwise they'd be entirely no way to ever hear the music- otherwise it's a gamble because for all we know, this may have surfaced now for a reason (like james plans' a new release that will have remastered/remixed/developed tracks from the ones contained in this record)

after all, didn't boc just do something like that?

what the fuck are we, crack addicts?

hey richard, fuck off

Richard has nothing to do with this, so reserve your off-base comments.

its not about the money, its about dignity. This doesn't seem normal, this shouldn't be how the artists/fan relationship should be.

This is not between Richard/the fans - this is about supply and demand, and a seller selling something, and potentially a buyer willing to pay said amount.

But who is behind that record? Who is selling it?

Apparently some guy in the Rephlex inner circle or lucky enough to have gotten a copy back in '94. Not any of the known owners, AFAWK.

I know what you mean. But Richards relationship with his fans isn't what you call 'normal', what with all the bullshit he throws our way etc

Whether you buy into that 'bullshit' is up to you, though.

From the listing - "a chance to share the music"

That makes me think the seller has permission to sell it, knowing full well there's a big chance it'll end up being shared all over the net.

He does, from Rephlex. I don't think his intention is to sell this so it does leak online. It will be interesting to see if it does sell who buys it intends on doing that. Would be troublesome for the individual since it's pretty clear who leaked it if it does happen (Mike P and co. are going to be the last ones to leak that stuff online).

Also, here's the interview I did with Mike P around 2000 regarding this release, in case you were curious about the tracks:

It has hand written labels by RDJ (Richard D. James):

SIDE 1 in black marker pen: "CAUSTIC WINDOW LP 33 1/3 SIDE A REPHLEX" in the run out groove: "CAT 023-A1 A PORKY PRIME CUT": There are two tracks on side A,

the first is a subtle melodic grower, with hi q's; pianoish DX sounds & woodwind type synths. Nice but not very immediate.

Track 2 is *much* more like it: Industrial type drums straight out of J5 and the catchiest afx acid line (not 303). Builds and builds with pad sounds & percessive held chords in a spooky fashion.

SIDE 2 Same hand written info except it says: "SIDE B" in black marker pen and in the run out groove it's the same but says side "L" 5 Tracks on B:

Track 1) called "muttley" by Richard.It features samples from "dastardly & Muttley" (Wacky Races Cartoon) starting off with Dastardly shouting "Muttley!" then Muttley the dog going "RashingFrashingWrarraFrarraWrash". Other samples: A girl speaking: "You know I don't even know why you bother talking" and the track ends with "what an utterly fantastical journey" (unknown sample) As regards to the music, it starts with a monophonic synth line doing a percussive riff up 4 notes, joined by another sound a few bars later. Then the drums kick in. Bass and snare from Phloam, sort of metallic guiro and clangs from Schottkey. Halfway through an orchestral string chords sample comes in, and the girl speaking sample appears. It's a great track, very SAW85-92 in period.

Track 2) Happy, jolly little track with high pitched bell-like hihats acid sounds and long square wave bass note. Random dat glitches spice up the percussion. The melody comes from the interplay of tuned bass drum & tuned metal hihats.

Track 3) Wow! This is a treat for fans of SOSW. Starts with Roland R8 hihats, then a marimba melody & the BD Kikkz in with an acidicish line. marimba fades in again. Then a BB1 DX pad in 5ths (lots of reverb) makes it fuckin lush. Drum break then the track restarts with stabs from Audax powder, then acid & marimba. Track ends wth drums.

Track 4) My favourite: Noisey drum loops (Tuned white noise?) acid pokes. Bass drum from Hedphelym or the B-sides to ABB2. Also odd bell like High melodies & metallic sampled melodies! very odd track.

Track 5) Tribal bongos, Quoth Bd kik & "a,aphex-a,aphex"samples. About 1 min. long.

SIDE 3 Handwritten on label: "CW LP side C" and in the run out groove it says; "THIRD REICH VETERANS WILL NOT JOIN VICTORY WAR PARADE. CAT 023 -01" 4 tracks

Track 1) Very simple synth melody & 4/4 kik drum / snare joined later by emotional sounding soft detuned string notes. Hihats and hi Q's join later and lo-bandwidth metallic samples.

Track 2) A very early track. One of the 1st he did. Childish squeaky acid line. Crap piano riff. Redeemed by lush strings & reverb on certain drum sounds, which might have indicated Here was a future talent.

Track 3) Square wave bassline, melodic held acid line, R8 drums. Simple lovely very Aphex.

Track 4) Jazz fusion aphex! Drum sounds similar to Gak. Sounds like Gak in fact except for a low farting bass and muted jazzy piano riff & overlaid solos.

SIDE 4 "CAUSTIC WINDOW LP . side D" handwritten in black on label in runout groove: "CAT 023 - G1 A PORKY PRIME CUT " 5 tracks

Track 1) An ambient track. This was a reject from SAW85-92 and is unspeakably lovely. A monophonic synth weaves around soft flutes to devastating effect. The synth filter opens & closes to emphasise the riff at certain times, & the flute goes freestyle towards the end. Metallic percussion invades the song at times complementing the groovy momentum gathered by the main riff.

Track 2) This is Phlaps off the criminal justice bill comp.

Track 3) This is Cunt off TEX 3

Track 4) This is a phone call between Mixmaster Morris & Scanner. Richard got 2 phones, rang them both (one to Morris, one to Scanner) and luckily they both answered simultaneously. What follows is very funny. Both Morris & Robin think each other has initiated the call and confusion reigns. This increases as a third voice enters the fray (RDJ). Eventually they recognise him as Richard: "If you put the phone down your gonna die.. "

Track 5) Same trick between Chris Jeffs (Cylob) & Michael Paradinas. This time Cylob figures it out straight away but the funniest bit is where he says "I think Richard wants us to talk to each other", to which Michael replies "Oh great..." track (& album) ends.

You can post this info on the joyrex site [...] or wherever. I promised Richard not to let anyone have copies. I stick to that.

Archived