IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm having anxiety at the though of finding the link to the kickstart too late. 500 is such a small number ahhhh

dreading leaving my work desk for the day

what if the link goes live while i am commuting

fuck

Sorry for the delay, folks - lots of things to hash out, etc. Anyway:

I spoke with Grant regarding this, and he and Richard have agreed to allow one-time duplication rights of the tracks off CAT023, and have negotiated with the seller for a reduced price of 5000 GBP (8368.54 USD as of 8/4), so that reduces the minimum amount to be paid to 10 GBP (16.73 USD). The seller has agreed to remove the listing from Discogs Marketplace for the time being (once the Kickstarter goes live), and apparently all agree that it's a good chance to give the hardcore fans a unique chance to own something that will never see the light of day otherwise.

Once the 5000.00 GBP funding amount is met, the record will be turned over to me, and in turn I will contract with someone to produce a high-quality rip (lossless) of the vinyl - in turn, all the people that contribute to the Kickstarter will get a digital version of the tracks, which will be provided by WATMM. The license Rephlex is providing for this is ONLY for the 500 people who contribute to the Kickstarter, nothing more.

Before the digital tracks are released, the record will be put up for auction on Ebay, and once sold, 1/3 of the proceeds will go to Richard/Rephlex as royalty payment, 1/3 will be divided equally between the Kickstarter contributors (a discount if you will off the initial purchase amount), and 1/3 to a charity that we will all vote and agree upon (suggestions are welcome - e.g.: Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund...). Once the auction is complete and payment received, everyone will get to download their promised digital version.

I'm going to try and get the Kickstarter set up ASAP and will post a separate thread with information once that's done. Never did a Kickstarter before so bear with me!

i'm not buying it (the whole thing)

this is a promotion stunt for his new album, i'm sure he'll put it up for free CxWx when it's out

joyrex knows about it now

i hope so, i would be so fucking dissapointed, but hey i'm happy for you guys, if everything turns out lame

i'm having anxiety at the though of finding the link to the kickstart too late. 500 is such a small number ahhhh

me too....
I'm going to sleep now.

If I miss it... ugh.

me too....

mother mary's tits you gotta be joking

me too....

mother mary's tits you gotta be joking

Leave mother mary's privates out of this.

:shrug:

lol

Apart from the unexpected news- well, why take a rip from the vinyl?

Are the original masters lost?

Joyrex, shed some light please.

That's the condition - rip from the vinyl only. I suspect it's more a case of finding 20 year old DATs than anything else...

gotta say glad to be wrong

I won't add the 'here' after wrong because that would be like suggesting that i'm never wrong anywhere else and only osci would do something like that. [-;

- I am glad it all worked out somehow, next thing for me to be cynical about is the kickstarter rules, as was mentioned, kickstarter has form for mucking around crowdfunding efforts (although something this under the radar), doing things like not releasing funds to that game developer which crushed the project etc. Maybe you should use startjoin instead, it's new to the scene and founded by max keiser so would be less likely to do strange things to a campaign that involves buying and ripping and reselling a music item. The advantage of the kickstarter is broader exposure to the project, and a more established name in that sphere, so i can understand why you'd want to use them.

- High Quality photos of the vinyl and packaging would be nice in the pack too.

- Are you doing a campaign video? I want to see the face of JR, pictures of that are rarer than sightings of CW. heh E-;

- Take names here before you do the kickstarter or those on here will be mightily disapointed if they miss out to some 18yr old edm kid from Alabama that decided to pay the money on a drunken whim.

Oh hell no - nobody wants to see me, I assure you! I'm thinking we might add a "deluxe package" that offers high-resolution images you can print out for jewel case liners (if you're into that sort of thing). Scrambling just to get things set up at this point!

gotta say glad to be wrong

- I am glad it all worked out somehow, next thing for me to be cynical about is the kickstarter rules, as was mentioned, kickstarter has form for mucking around crowdfunding efforts (although something this under the radar), doing things like not releasing funds to that game developer which crushed the project etc. Maybe you should use startjoin instead, it's new to the scene and founded by max keiser so would be less likely to do strange things to a campaign that involves buying and ripping and reselling a music item. The advantage of the kickstarter is broader exposure to the project, and a more established name in that sphere, so i can understand why you'd want to use them.

- High Quality photos of the vinyl and packaging would be nice in the pack too.

- Are you doing a campaign video? I want to see the face of JR, pictures of that are rarer than sightings of CW. heh E-;

- Take names here before you do the kickstarter or those on here will be mightily disapointed if they miss out to some 18yr old edm kid from Alabama that decided to pay the money on a drunken whim.

Agree with this completely.

Apart from the unexpected news- well, why take a rip from the vinyl?

Are the original masters lost?

Joyrex, shed some light please.

Wasn't the Q-Chastic EP master lost or destroyed as well? And if they still have it, they probably can't be bothered and let us make a decent rip. I'm totally satisfied with that though.

Really digging the charity part as well. Just a great deal this. Everybody wins.

Does noone else find it strange that grant posted the kickstarter thing at xltronic? and now we're making a kickstarter for this?

Nah, I reckon it was probably what he was aiming for. Giving subtle cryptic hints is his thing I guess?

There's really no way to limit it to WATMM members via Kickstarter - but I suppose you'll need to have an account on WATMM in order to download it (still working that bit out).

This is incredible! Super stoked... Unfortunately, my bank account has 17 cents until my next paycheck in a week, so ill prob miss out on this /: unless its still open a week from today... Nonetheless, amazing news! Thanks so much to Joyrex, Grant, and Richard for all of this! Btw, unreleased caustic window lp is different than the unreleased joyrex tape, right?

I think you'll have enough time - the Kickstarter has to be approved, and my Amazon Payments account (which Kickstarter uses) has to be approved as well - that can take up to a week, since the automagic verification wasn't working on Amazon's side.

None of this should happen without Richard D Jams consent

Richard and Rephlex are cool with this - we have official approval to distribute to the participants.

FYI - the Kickstarter has been set up, but as I mentioned, I'm still waiting verification, so everyone still has time to get ready. The Kickstarter going live will be announced here first before any Tweets, etc. go out.

Even better news - the total number of Kickstarter contributors has increased from 500 to 600, and the price will be around 10GBP (around 15.50 USD, 11.20 EUR) per person, and that's before you get the refund from the Ebay sale.

I will post a new thread for the official announcement, so hang in there everyone!

I wonder if Joyrex could start a poll on here and pass the usernames of people who voted yes to kickstarter, thus reserving their place???

well i hope you guys enjoy your 18$ digital file of 20year old caustic window album

don't count me in, i heard drukqs and i'm waiting for the real thing

I'm sorry you don't have $18 to burn.

I wonder if Joyrex could start a poll on here and pass the usernames of people who voted yes to kickstarter, thus reserving their place???

That's a good idea, actually... again, how to stop random peeps from contributing on Kickstarter though...

well i hope you guys enjoy your 18$ digital file of 20year old caustic window album

don't count me in, i heard drukqs and i'm waiting for the real thing

i'll take both

That's a good idea, actually... again, how to stop random peeps from contributing on Kickstarter though...

It's a good question. Maybe there's a way to do that, via special download codes or something? Maybe someone from kickstarter can help you (do they have like a customer support number? lol)

Archived