IGNORED

The building a PC thread

kaini

So, I'm gonna make a pc with the attached specs. I already have a GPU, RAM, and HDD on standby. if anyone can see problems with my config, this is the thread. also if you're making your own box, post it here <3

post-106-0-47470900-1397006674_thumb.png

post-106-0-83032200-1397006683_thumb.png

"Box mit Lufter" :wacko:

Gigabyte motherboards are rock solid, good choice. I've never heard of Xilence before, are they reliable? I wouldn't recommend striking out into uncharted territory when it comes to PSUs. PSU problems are the worst.

I did a build about 6-8 months ago and it runs like a dream. maybe a little hot but that's usually because of cables everywhere and a midi case. I'll see if I can dig up the specs.

I highly recommend you build your PC on this site as it will let you know if there are any unforeseen compatibility issues. Voltage can be a tricky bitch.

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Eh, I disagree about the power supply. Power supplies often fail regardless of the manufacturer. It's sort of the nature of the beast in my opinion. If I were to make a recommendation about PSU's it would be to not spend too much money on them, because then it's not a big deal if it fails. You can always pick them up at a nearby store or something.

I've never heard of Xilence before, are they reliable? I wouldn't recommend striking out into uncharted territory when it comes to PSUs. PSU problems are the worst.

that's the bit i'm most worried about - online reviews are good, but i'm building on a budget and if i get a better PSU i'll probably have to cut the SSD. and i reeeeallly don't wanna.

that said, in my experience PSUs tended to fail because of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague and those days are gone.

it's a 16gb SSD.

looks like a small SSD? fa'dat system partition :cisfor:

every PSU manufacturer has a few dodgy units, I agree. except maybe Corsair. Antec were well-respected when I did my first build and I ended up with one of the worst units they've ever produced. it was a new-ish one, one of the SmartPower models with a secondary fan that only spun up when the unit exceeded a heat threshold (rubbish idea imo) and - quelle surprise - that secondary fan never worked. so that's kind of my point: I wouldn't strike out with a new unit that hasn't been well-reviewed.

"Box mit Lufter" :wacko:

that's hardwareversand.de - they are CRAZY cheap. highly recommended.

looks like a small SSD? fa'dat system partition :cisfor:

yeah, i can bang a streamlined win7 on that pretty easily - lots of RAM and it'll barely have to touch the pagefile. i just want it to boot fast.

I've never heard of Xilence before, are they reliable? I wouldn't recommend striking out into uncharted territory when it comes to PSUs. PSU problems are the worst.

that's the bit i'm most worried about - online reviews are good, but i'm building on a budget and if i get a better PSU i'll probably have to cut the SSD. and i reeeeallly don't wanna.

yeah, don't. if you have to make that choice, definitely keep the SSD, the difference between SSD and no-SSD builds is huge.

if it dies i'm putting 'usagi told me to' on the RMA but yeah, that's all i needed.

next question: imma be running a mainboard, an HDD, an SSD, and a 1GB GPU from that PSU. enough?

pcpartspicker will tell you exactly how much power you need out of your psu if you load up all your parts, but in general for a one gpu build you need 500-600watts. I would actually say these days could probably get away with 450-500watts most of the time, but it might be a bit of a gamble.

My personal opinion about a 16gb SSD would be why bother? You can't load any programs onto it. My Windows folder is 25 gbs by itself. With modern equipment I don't see the value in it compared to saving up for a decent-ish size one down the road.

SSD's are really good at getting super high performance when you have the money to throw at it in a new build. They are also effective at keeping an old build relevant, but 16gbs just seems like a waste to me.

I'm not an expert or anything though. I just use computers a lot.

they will take one look at your RMA and sign off on it immediately.

but yeah, I agree on both counts with Adieu:

16GB is prohibitively small even for just Windows. budget permitting, you should get a bigger SSD, it'd be better value. I don't know how costly they are in Euros over thurr but the Samsung 840s are great. Samsung and Intel appear to be the best-repped SSD guys.

500W will be a bit of a gamble, especially if you intend to add more drives or more parts later. you said you've already got GPU, RAM and HDD ready to go? what are those?

Why is your build such garbage?

lol jk it looks good m8. I sign off on it here ________________________

really small signature sorry

I just built a relatively powerful build on pcpartpicker without an optical drive, or any expansion cards it was running at about 488W.

yeah, i updated to a 32gb ssd and a 550w PSU... not much difference in the price

i have a mid-range 1gb ATI gpu and a terabyte HDD knocking around from my old buid, as well as 4gb ram

edit: decided to go with full ATX mb/case instead of mATX as well...

My build

GPU: GeForce GTX 780

CPU: i7 4770k

RAM: 32GB

Drives: 256 SSD and a 2 TB SSHD

Not bad, not bad at all. I've got a similar build, just a few years older than that. IE I've got a 690 and the 3770k

Power supplies often fail regardless of the manufacturer. It's sort of the nature of the beast in my opinion. If I were to make a recommendation about PSU's it would be to not spend too much money on them, because then it's not a big deal if it fails. You can always pick them up at a nearby store or something.

This is absolute garbage. If your PSU fails it can KILL the other components in your machine. Go for a high rated Corsair PSU.

Power supplies often fail regardless of the manufacturer. It's sort of the nature of the beast in my opinion. If I were to make a recommendation about PSU's it would be to not spend too much money on them, because then it's not a big deal if it fails. You can always pick them up at a nearby store or something.

This is absolute garbage. If your PSU fails it can KILL the other components in your machine. Go for a high rated Corsair PSU.

Overreact much you austist?

Archived