IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Since the other thread has grown to 20+ pages at the time of this posting, I think it's a good idea to post a general "what's going on" FAQ to let everybody know what the status of the project is. I'll add to this as I have the time and address as many questions as possible. So, without further adieu:

The Kickstarter is LIVE NOW! Click Here!

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

1. What's this all about? What's "The Caustic Window LP"? How is WATMM releasing Richard's music? Is the world coming to an end?
    The Caustic Window LP is a legendary unreleased test pressing (only 4 5 known to exist) that was supposed to be released after the run of Joyrex EPs on Rephlex Records. For various reasons, it was decided to hold off on this 2xLP release and release other artists' music on the label. When a mysterious seller on Discogs appeared offering it for sale at an eye-watering 13,500.00 USD, folks jokingly suggested to crowdfund an effort and buy the LP so everyone could have a rip of the vinyl.
    Fast forward to a few days ago, and being the crazy bastard I am, decided to reach out to Rephlex and see if we could do it - and Richard and Grant said yes! We've been granted one-time duplication rights (aka make digital copies of the vinyl tracks) for 600 people all the people who fund the upcoming Kickstarter project to get a digital download of the music. Rephlex will never officially release this album, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime opprotunity to own some rare, classic electronic music!
  2. What's Kickstarter?
    Kickstarter is an increasingly popular way for artists and individuals and companies to fund projects and causes by getting individuals to "pledge" an amount towards a goal, and if the goal is met, the project owner then follows through with the promised items in return for the contributors' support. In this case, we're allowing 600 people everyone who wants to purchase one digital copy of the LP, at approximately 16.00 USD (around 10.00 GBP, 11,20 EUR). Kickstarter only allows whole dollar amounts, hence why it's 16.00 versus 15.50 previously. Kickstarter also charges 5% and Amazon Payments charges 3-5% per funding transaction, so the total asking amount is 9300.00 USD to offset these costs and ensure the agreed upon amount is met.
  3. Who gets the money?
    Since this is not a traditional record release in almost every sense, I came up with the idea that the money for the record would go to the seller (which Rephlex negotiated with to lower their asking price to 5,000.00 GBP (around 8,300.00USD), and the money from the Kickstarter will be paid to the seller. All involved (Richard, the seller, Grant) felt this was better than some collector getting it (and possibly leaking it onto the internet) and give the hardcore fans a chance to own this rare (non) release. Since the Kickstarter has been so successful, people have been asking what happens to all the excess money - that goes to Richard/Rephlex.
  4. Who gets the record (the actual record)?
    Once the Kickstarter is funded and the seller is paid, Rephlex will deliver the record to a professional studio for the vinyl conversion, and produce lossless digital audio files. Then the record will be shipped to me for the second phase of this project.
  5. Then what happens?
    After that, the record will be put on Ebay and auctioned off, with the proceeds of the money being split among Richard/Rephlex, and a charity to be chosen by the WATMM community.
  6. When's the Kickstarter going to, you know, start?
    Kickstarter themselves has to approve the project. No set date is available yet, but we'll do our best to let everyone know in advance.
    The Kickstarter has been approved, but is not live yet - It will go live on Friday, 11 April, @ 10:00 AM CST.
    It's live NOW: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watmmofficial/cat023-caustic-window-own-the-legendary-record-by
  7. What happens if the Kickstarter doesn't reach the funding goal?
    Kickstarter doesn't charge you, the backer anything until the project reaches it's funding goal (somehow I have a feeling this won't be a problem) - all you provide them is a credit card number to hold until the project meets it's goal. The seller will be then free to sell the record to anyone willing to pay his asking price. Bwahahahaha... *wipes tear*
  8. How are the audio files going to be made?
    One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment.
    The equipment we're tenatively planning on using is a Technics 1210Mk5G with Arkiv Ortofon stylus (that has been "burned in" for a good sound), and we have purchased a MOTO Ultralite Mk3 audio interface for this, although this is all subject to change if we figure out a better combination of analogue and digital equipment - our goal is to provide the cleanest possible rip, and we will NOT being doing any sort of post-processing as not to dilute the inherant quality of the audio. The audio files themselves are most likely going to be in FLAC format to preserve quality and reduce the size of the download. We're also considering hiring a professional audio engineer to do this, so stay tuned!
    We will be using a professional studio to do the vinyl to digital conversion. We have not decided on which outfit will be doing this, however.
  9. Will WATMM members get first dibs at the Kickstarter?
    You're here reading this, so hopefully you're already in the know (and a WATMM member). - A PM was sent out to WATMM members first letting them know the Kickstarter was live.
  10. What if I don't have a credit card? Does Kickstarter take PayPal?
    According to Kickstarter's Pledge FAQ, they only accept credit cards. Sorry!
  11. Why should I support this? Once the digital files are out there, it's going to be pirated anyways.
    Well, beyond the obvious legal reasons for doing so, my thinking is if you are a true fan of Richard's music, and a fan of music in general (regardless of genre), this is a no-brainer - plus, you're part of a unique event in music history! I think it goes without saying that the hope is everyone who is part of this "does the right thing" and keeps the digital files to themselves as something special. Plus, depending on how this goes (or not), this might open up future opprotunities (no promises - this is pretty unique in music history).
Edited by Joyrex
Last Updated 14/4/2014 @ 10:27AM CST

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic!

So as this has James's blessing and all, I have to ask... assuming he has the original DATs still, could we have done this at any time?

if rdj isn't as popular as he's today, I doubt anyone would pay that much for a digital copy.

This is fucking pure profit for Rephlex. They don't even have to make physical CD/vinyl copies to ship to the buyers. Fucking cunts.

To reiterate the BIG QUESTION most watmmrz had Joyrex, how can you ensure that watmmrz get a spot to pledge money for this project? I know that 600 should be enough space to safely accommodate all on the journey to the planet Caustic Window, but what if within a matter of hours when our members are asleep for example, all the spots are taken?

If this reserving a block for members cannot be done, the other MAJOR QUESTION that was being asked by members was, are you going to preannounce the kickstarter opening date and time to members via a PM or email? Give our lovely denizens a heads-up so that when it goes live they can chuck their money at the project before everyone else does.

... nice job watmm.

edit: you're welcome, love dleetr.

edit pafr: fucking lol

Edited by pafr

To reiterate the BIG QUESTION most watmmrz had Joyrex, how can you ensure that watmmrz get a spot to pledge money for this project? I know that 600 should be enough space to safely accommodate all on the journey to the planet Caustic Window, but what if within a matter of hours when our members are asleep for example, all the spots are taken?

If this reserving a block for members cannot be done, the other MAJOR QUESTION that was being asked by members was, are you going to preannounce the kickstarter opening date and time to members via a PM or email? Give our lovely denizens a heads-up so that when it goes live they can chuck their money at the project before everyone else does.

cheers

how can you ensure that hackers won't rip and torrent this album? They might do that just to make us feel bad for paying. I'd be glad if they did that even if I paid for it.

is rdj and rephlex not rich enough?

I guess who the fuck am I to judge who's rich and who's not eh? lol

Guest jasondonervan

^ Every point a salient one.

delet be reading my mind over here.

^ Every point a salient one.

delet be reading my mind over here.

I imagine we could have a poll asking "are you going to try and purchase the digital caustic window LP via the kickstarter"? Then I'm sure the mods and Joyrex could figure a way to autogenerate a private message pre-alerting those that said yes as to when it's going to go online.

I'd favor this to a thread because WATMM is public, anyone off the net could jump in and see it! At least via a PM we have a better chance of jumping the gun

Edited by StephenG

Well, in reality this isn't stopping someone from purchasing the record and putting the tracks on the web. It is ensuring that we get those tracks before it is sold to a collector though.

how can you ensure that hackers won't rip and torrent this album?

I think it's safe to assume that this will leak sooner or later. Hopefully it will take a few days so the LP still feels somewhat exclusive, at least for a while.

Well, in reality this isn't stopping someone from purchasing the record and putting the tracks on the web. It is ensuring that we get those tracks before it is sold to a collector though.

And this way the tracks are assured to be of best quality. rendered down with the finest of cheeses and mixed with an assortment of superior caviars and truffles picked by bon vivants of renown from around the world.

^ if this deal goes sour somehow it would almost be worth the money for the lol of it

of course if its legit and works out it wont be shit, though some people will gripe no matter what

Edited by very honest