IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If RDJ/rephlex already had digital versions of the LP, i don't see the point in paying for a useless second ripping process.

But well, whatever... All of this CWLP event is so surrounded with illogical facts and plot holes, it looks like a Hollywood movie script.

Which means it's even cooler ;)

Oh by the way,

RDJ said in an interview (lol) that he made his own quality digital rips of his records so as to DJ with a laptop.

The digital rip of the CW LP probably exists for years, in RDJ HD.

Maybe the one we got was copies from these files.

(Which could explain the track titles)

That's the silliest thing I've heard today (and like Alice, I try to believe seven impossible things before breakfast) - he created the music - you don't think he would simply transfer the files or use the master DATs (depending on how old they are) to create files he can DJ with on a laptop?

The track names came from Richard - he obviously dug up his masters and got the track names off that, and had Grant send me the ripped files with names included.

Then what was the point of the ripping process?

The super-special terms of the super-exclusive agreement between WATMM and Rephlex meant that the audio had to come from the particular copy for sale.

Yeah.

That's exactly the point - this was not a release of the music - this was a semi-official bootleg authorised by the label. Just like a bootleg, the masters were not (and could not) be used. That's all record label legalities, and really not important, though.

Oh by the way,

RDJ said in an interview (lol) that he made his own quality digital rips of his records so as to DJ with a laptop.

That's the silliest thing I've heard today (and like Alice, I try to believe seven impossible things before breakfast) - he created the music - you don't think he would simply transfer the files or use the master DATs (depending on how old they are) to create files he can DJ with on a laptop?

The track names came from Richard - he obviously dug up his masters and got the track names off that, and had Grant send me the ripped files with names included.

The super-special terms of the super-exclusive agreement between WATMM and Rephlex meant that the audio had to come from the particular copy for sale.

Yeah.

That's exactly the point - this was not a release of the music - this was a semi-official bootleg authorised by the label. Just like a bootleg, the masters were not (and could not) be used. That's all record label legalities, and really not important, though.

Just to clarify, I was pointing out the stupidity in the statement about the files being sourced from RDJs personal files

I was hoping some tracks from the Old Trout set he did back in '93 would be featured on CWLP, loved that stuff.

[youtubehd]TgdYh7rgEmQ[/youtubehd]

This exactly! None of the unreleased songs from that set even appear on CW LP.

I wonder if these tracks are from the Q-Chastic release

im just playing devils advocate here, but he may have ripped trax from vinyls to dj the files with because he liked the sound of the vinyl...

lol just imagine if the vinyl sounds better mafia had had their way everyone would be playing digital files in their set that had first been pressed on to vinyl then played through a warm tube amp to be ripped into 96 KHz files to use in their sets. No naked off your computer where you made the music files would have been allowed to exist without this church approved halo.

Oh by the way,

Yeah.

"could not" as in they just chose not to, right? All to keep in line with the game of this fan-initiative?

I've been involved in small companies distributing works of media and I don't see what the legal problem would be. they're all just a bunch of dudes, not some faceless chain-of-command that needs a lot of papers signed to get any decision made (in other words they are reasonable people?). So if they wanted to the use masters, why couldn't they?

(I ask this more out of interest in legal issues than out of any criticism towards this release's modus operandi; for all I care they could have done it as a 3th gen copied cassette only release)

Opinions on 101 Rainbows seem highly polarized, some even saying it's not aphex. Since I initially loved the track, but also thought it sounded a little un-aphex-y, I took a closer look...

An interesting thing is that, with the exception of some occasional drum hits, a few synth tweaks, and some characteristic heavy aphex reverb, this can basically be played with two hands on a piano/keyboard-synth.

The left hand (which we hear from the start) has a clearly aphexy vibe, with a steady rhythmic component embellished with some very short notes, and changing octaves (compare for instance VBS.Redlof.b from analord 11).

The right hand is interesting and becomes very un-aphexy. Initially it's just some thirds in a simple pattern (see also "if it really is me" from surfing on sine waves), but around 4 minutes in comes the very un-aphexy part: a sort of improvisatory (maybe even jazzy?), fast noodling around of many registers in the right hand. I think it's this segment that's throwing lots of people off.

So in addition to liking this track, I find that odd bit a curious window into aphex's early musings (or maybe he's trolling, or maybe vibert came over and pissed on his keyboard, or whatever...).

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved for organizing this release.

PS, I do have a soft spot in my heart for the caustic window compilation, and was a little surprised to see that not everyone is blown away by things like cordialotron, italic eyeball, on the romance tip...

Opinions on 101 Rainbows seem highly polarized, some even saying it's not aphex. Since I initially loved the track, but also thought it sounded a little un-aphex-y, I took a closer look...

An interesting thing is that, with the exception of some occasional drum hits, a few synth tweaks, and some characteristic heavy aphex reverb, this can basically be played with two hands on a piano/keyboard-synth.

The left hand (which we hear from the start) has a clearly aphexy vibe, with a steady rhythmic component embellished with some very short notes, and changing octaves (compare for instance VBS.Redlof.b from analord 11).

The right hand is interesting and becomes very un-aphexy. Initially it's just some thirds in a simple pattern (see also "if it really is me" from surfing on sine waves), but around 4 minutes in comes the very un-aphexy part: a sort of improvisatory (maybe even jazzy?), fast noodling around of many registers in the right hand. I think it's this segment that's throwing lots of people off.

So in addition to liking this track, I find that odd bit a curious window into aphex's early musings (or maybe he's trolling, or maybe vibert came over and pissed on his keyboard, or whatever...).

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved for organizing this release.

PS, I do have a soft spot in my heart for the caustic window compilation, and was a little surprised to see that not everyone is blown away by things like cordialotron, italic eyeball, on the romance tip...

I personally love 101 rainbows

huh

101 Rainbows is a favorite here too, I could probably listen to just the first loop for a couple of hours, all the changes are a bonus. There was mention of a "not so ambient" mix of it appearing in one of his live sets, anyone got a link?

The track I liked least at first has to be Jazzphase, but it's grown on me. It sounds like a mid 90s jazzy french house track that's been breathed on by AFX but somehow it works.

101 Rainbows is a favorite here too, I could probably listen to just the first loop for a couple of hours, all the changes are a bonus. There was mention of a "not so ambient" mix of it appearing in one of his live sets, anyone got a link?

No live set, but track 11 from the "Joyrex" tape has some similarity.

I don't like his moaning.

What we were sold was a voucher for the music from this record recorded with "high-quality equipment" in "the most pristine quality digital audio in a lossless format."* If you participated in funding said Kickstarter, you know that we were not sold what was advertised; what we received was, instead, "CD quality" lossless audio, coupled with tons of surface noise and volume compression.

It doesn't bode well for this guy's character and by extension management of the process, if he's using this kind of talk to sell his kickstarter. I'm sure he's genuine in his misplaced fan rage, but seriously guy show some respect.

Best new limited edition vinyl digital release: 8.5 in Pitchfork tomorrow!

Damn, was actually pretty close!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19574-aphex-twin-caustic-window/

When Richard D. James released 2001’s Drukqs, the last proper Aphex Twin album, it was considered a massive disappointment.

LOL fuck right off Pitchfork