IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

Well, he's actually quite right. The quality of the rip we got is far from pristine and high. In particular the first to tracks contain loads of surface noise. Some extra mastering / post production would have been good. I expected better than that.

Who's to say the original DATs weren't full of noise and compression issues ? Bear in mind they were sent to Rephlex for their approval before being released

This is most likely the case, seeing how all the older AFX albums were delivered. There's even a picture of a collection of DAT's that ZoeB recently posted here that I think contained one of the CAT023 tracks, dating from the very early 90's (maybe late 80's).

If you are this disturbed by surface noise on a 20 year old Caustic Window record (you know, the most raw and abrasive project by RDJ) you seriously need to reconsider your taste in music and just go buy German minimal techhouse records :emotawesomepm9:

But besides the whole audiophile discussion, wasn't it decided to leave the CWLP without post-production because they wanted the rip to be exactly like how it would sound on a turntable? That was also what was communicated by Joyrex if I'm not mistaken. And even more important: RDJ approved this rip.

you dont happen to have a link to that thread do you plz? i tried searching but cant find anything on that even checking ZoeB's posts

cheers

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet it makes the perfectionist in RDJ go fucking mental when you guys talk in this manner about his work. He probably lost sleep and now wants to release some new tracks so he doesn't have to feel regret for not making it perfect. That or maybe he just thinks you're all assholes.

you dont happen to have a link to that thread do you plz? i tried searching but cant find anything on that even checking ZoeB's posts

cheers

Possibly a mixture of this thread ? http://forum.watmm.com/topic/80897-richard-robinson-on-selected-ambient-works-85-92/

Combined with this - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83182-squidge-in-my-fridge/

Spenser Holland demands justice

Well, he's actually quite right. The quality of the rip we got is far from pristine and high. In particular the first to tracks contain loads of surface noise. Some extra mastering / post production would have been good. I expected better than that.

I thought we all agreed on that there would be no extra mastering or post-production done in order to remain true to the actual fidelity of the vinyl and not fuck with things further. It sounds like it sounds.

Mr Holland is either lying or somehow he missed this as it was figured out on watmm and not in the kickstarter. It was more obvious back when the whole thing wasn't already done, i's been hell trying to dig it up in this monstrosity of a thread, but here it is:

I think Joyrex said he's going to color the grooves in with a Magic Marker, make an imprint on some construction paper, and then scan it into an .ac3 file. That's probably all a professional would do anyway.

and maybe he missed out on this arrangement:

Maybe we can spend the extra dollars on an elusiv4 world wide tour, visiting watmmembers listening areas and making acoustic adjustments?

Just kidding, the discussion starts about here:

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/82975-the-caustic-window-lp-cat023-kickstarter-faq-live-now/page-19?do=findComment&comment=2151250

edit: joyrex just responded on the previous page about all this, so yeah.

Edited by chim

Guest Drahken

When Richard D. James released 2001’s Drukqs, the last proper Aphex Twin album, it was considered a massive disappointment.

LOL fuck right off Pitchfork

It was though, outside of diehard fans - it was really divisive among critics and a had a lot of lukewarm reviews overall when it was released.

TBH it's not my fav and not an album I play often start to finish, as much as I think some of the tracks are technically and artistically amazing.

Who's to say the original DATs weren't full of noise and compression issues ? Bear in mind they were sent to Rephlex for their approval before being released

This. My god that historical and technical context is completely absent when it comes to most of those who complain. During that whole Old Tunes ebay debacle last year there were perpetual comments of the "derp derp cassette rips are dumb, there are master tapes somewhere." People have no fucking clue how essential DATs and cassettes were to electronic producers back then, they automatically assume some professional studio 2 in tape or 96/24 bit master exists. ASSUMING THE ORIGINAL MASTERS EVEN EXIST!

Hell I'd be letdown if it was super pristine.

People must not use their ears. One of the immediate charms of this album for me was the subtle LOOPing tape hiss. I'd never thought about the character something like that can add as it's a technical limitation we take for granted these days. You can hear the hiss loop every so many bars on some bits, very subtle. This album used a lot of prerecoded pieces. You can hear loops from The GAK release, etc.

While there was some vinyl crackle in a few places I thought it was a good rip given it's a twenty year old unreleased test pressing.

drukqs was the big change for 90's aphex fans. venetian snares was already doing his thing,. so i think he was a big influence on the album

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn, there's some annoying smartasses replying to notch's tweet.

@notch I hope you did a digital recording on the first play, because the sound quality on vinyl are reduced by each play ;)

And then comes this fucktard that works at Mojang:

@notch Agreeing with @modhelius. Especially if it's not a production pressing, preserve a digital copy ASAP. My internal audiophile cringed.

Oh wow he's actually playing the record he bought he must not be a real audiophile like me

@notch @modhelius Specifically, acetate discs are INSANELY susceptible to wear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetate_disc

And then he drops this completely irrelevant bit of information just to make sure we all note how much of a Real Audiophile he is. What an asshole

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy