IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

I suppose one option would be to have Joyrex set up a paypal account in advance where WATMM members can reserve a spot by just paying up front. Once the kickstarter gets going, he could then just subtract the number of folks who have already paid up and merge the lists after the kickstarter is funded.

yeah cant we just paypall the money 2 you joymeng?? I dont have a creditfart

dude are you guys nuts, why don't you have paypal debit cardS? convenient as a mother fucker.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So about not being able to pay with PayPal through Kickstarter: these guys seemed to find a workaround (manually): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/616474

Is that a possiblity?

They manually update the Kickstarter... that would be more work for me, but possible, yeah.

not sure if sarcastic, but if you already have a paypal account it doesn't make sense to me to not request one of these

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/debit-card

(note: free for any paypal account holder)

paypal-debitcard-cancelled1.jpg

and if you dont have a paypal account, most grocery stores sell pre-paid American Express or VISA 'gift' debit cards that are loaded with a specified amount of money. They sell ones as low as $25, use them once and then throw in the trash

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest jasondonervan

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

Will WATMM members get first dibs at the Kickstarter?

I am currently evaluating the best way to do this so of course, the WATMM community gets first crack at it - suggestions are welcome. The Kickstarter will not just go live - there will be a date and time established so nobody will be caught unaware (hopefully). I just hope we don't use up all 600 spots ourselves and someone on the outside doesn't get a chance!

So now it's an unlimited number of spots on the Kickstarter?

No, but seriously:

Why does such a huge website like Kickstarter, that depends on crowds giving money, doesn't accept PayPal? That is just beyond retarded.

not sure if you've already tried this, but Paypal provides free of charge 'debit cards' directly linked to your paypal account. If you request one now they'll probably have it in your mailbox by Friday

I was going to suggest this, but I was unsure if PayPal offered such a service in Europe/ROW...

Yeah, that would never fly around these parts. The mind boggles.

Re: not having a debit or credit card.

Edited by Gocab

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

I am currently evaluating the best way to do this so of course, the WATMM community gets first crack at it - suggestions are welcome. The Kickstarter will not just go live - there will be a date and time established so nobody will be caught unaware (hopefully). I just hope we don't use up all 600 spots ourselves and someone on the outside doesn't get a chance!

Yes, it will be - for the set time the Kickstarter runs (still deciding on timing on that one - 10 days? 30 days?) (right now it's set to 30).

No, but seriously:

Why does such a huge website like Kickstarter, that depends on crowds giving money, doesn't accept PayPal? That is just beyond retarded.

not sure if you've already tried this, but Paypal provides free of charge 'debit cards' directly linked to your paypal account. If you request one now they'll probably have it in your mailbox by Friday

I was going to suggest this, but I was unsure if PayPal offered such a service in Europe/ROW...

Thanks for the heads up, I tried but yes, that's only for people in the US.

No, but seriously:

I know for sure they have them in the UK, not sure about other parts of Europe

So about not being able to pay with PayPal through Kickstarter: these guys seemed to find a workaround (manually): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/616474

Is that a possiblity?

They manually update the Kickstarter... that would be more work for me, but possible, yeah.

Well, I'd really appreciate it anyway. I never have to use a creditcard in this part of the world basically, so to get one just for this occassion is a bit much maybe, but keep us updated about that please :)

No, but seriously:

What about pre-paid credit cards - are those offered in Europe/ROW? That might be a solution (e.g.: Buy a prepaid card with enough GBP/EUR/YEN/[insert your currency here]. I would check with Kickstarter though (or if Nick from KS could chime in...?)

No, but seriously:

do they sell these anywhere near you?

VisaGC.png

I'm not sure if Kickstarter requires a billing address verification, sometimes places don't accept these if they have complex fraud protection.

Guest edwardgeorge

Apologies if this has already been asked on this thread or somewhere deep in the other but it's not answered by the FAQ. What happens if the kickstarter isn't accepted by kickstarter?

Their guidelines say:

• Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills.

• Creators cannot offer equity or financial incentives (ownership, share of profits, repayment/loans, cash-value equivalents, etc).

• Projects cannot resell items or offer rewards not produced by the project or its creator.

• Creators cannot promise to donate a portion of funds raised or future revenue to a cause.

Obviously the stuff about donating money raised from ebay to a cause fails the guidelines and the promise of also giving some of that money to backers fall foul of the second item. And the reselling items not produced by the project creator is another potential grey area. Is there a backup idea if the Kickstarter application is denied?

Edited by edwardgeorge

Apologies if this has already been asked on this thread or somewhere deep in the other but it's not answered by the FAQ. What happens if the kickstarter isn't accepted by kickstarter?

Their guidelines say:

• Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills.

• Creators cannot offer equity or financial incentives (ownership, share of profits, repayment/loans, cash-value equivalents, etc).

• Projects cannot resell items or offer rewards not produced by the project or its creator.

• Creators cannot promise to donate a portion of funds raised or future revenue to a cause.

Obviously the stuff about donating money raised from ebay to a cause, the promise of also giving some of that money to backers fall foul of the second item. And the reselling items not produced by the project creator is another potential grey area. Is there a backup idea if the Kickstarter application is denied?

Already been approved by them. #readthread

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Yes, it will be - for the set time the Kickstarter runs (still deciding on timing on that one - 10 days? 30 days?) (right now it's set to 30).

praise the lord!!!!

1. Who gets the record (the actual record)?

Once the Kickstarter is funded and the seller is paid, Rephlex will ship the record to someone I've chosen to professionally rip the audio from the vinyl, and produce lossless digital audio files. Then the record will be shipped to me for the second phase of this project.

I take it that 'professionally' means the following:

High quality equipment (i.e not half-busted Stanton 500 / Concorde through a Numark mixer into a Dell laptop)

Absolutely no declicking, dehissing, EQing, compressing, remastering or processing of ANY kind

I'm surprised no-one else has chimed in about this.

xy_politics is completely and absolutely right on this. Any rip that's done shouldn't be messed about with at all (not even normalisation).

Just a good, hot signal.

i said something about it in one of the previous threads, i think others did too, but more importantly hasn't joyrex himself said there would be no altering?

but yeah thats how it should be done

Guest jasondonervan

Fantastic, everyone's a winner now then.

As for length of the Kickstarter, I would recommend 10 days rather than 30. A longer period for a KS is better suited to something that needs time to drum up publicity, get the word out - well this endeavour is already out in the wild, lots of press... I just imagine that after the initial rush of folks getting their pledge in, it might sit idle for a long time and not necessarily generate any large amount of additional funds to benefit the cause.

/twocents

paypal are dodgy as fuck, not surprised kickstarter arent keen on them

get a debit card

i cant believe i might actually hear the studio version of muttley..!!!

Guest edwardgeorge

ah, cool, hadn't seen that. three new pages of responses appeared whilst i was writing the above. when i started it still said that they were waiting for amazon payments approval. busy day at work :)

ah, cool, hadn't seen that. three new pages of responses appeared whilst i was writing the above. when i started it still said that they were waiting for amazon payments approval. busy day at work :)

yeah, threads like this tend to grow very quickly. Happens every time there's official news of an Autechre, Aphex, or BoC release. if you stick around, you'll get used to it!

patternoverlap brought up this very important point, if we have Grant and Richard's approval now, why bother in any way with buying a ridiculously over inflated vinyl and then having it ripped by a professional? This either means that Grant and Richard are unwilling to provide the direct tape or digital masters, or they don't have them anymore? Both scenarios seem a tad strange. Anyone else find this odd? Makes me think this 'seller' has to be someone that is closely linked to them and they would prefer that whoever it is gets the asking price.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

It was still being shuffled through the approval process i thought. But we have other options if it doesn't fly. Frankly i don't see why they wouldn't approve it. It's an interesting one-off experiment.

And to awepittance, people have stated that they can't get prepaid c/c's in their country.