IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

This is a strange roundabout way to buy a digital version of the album now with Grant and Richard being cool with it AND that they know the seller.

1. The seller sells the 2xLP for whatever amount.

2. Rephlex sells the album digitally through Bleep or Rephlex or whatever.

Seems simple, but anyway...

At the core, I just want to buy and listen to the album in any shape or form.

Ah, but that requires effort on their part - this is easier for them, and more fun for us!

Isn't the whole point of a record label to release records? Are they really that lazy? Anyway, this is great news and I'm happy to buy a copy of this album of course, but it seems odd they only want to release it by proxy. At this rate, they should just give you all their masters and let you set up a shop for them... :) Which is odd, as that's exactly what Bandcamp's for, and I've never heard of any musician being too lazy to set up an account there, let alone a label...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the whole point of a record label to release records? Are they really that lazy? Anyway, this is great news and I'm happy to buy a copy of this album of course, but it seems odd they only want to release it by proxy. At this rate, they should just give you all their masters and let you set up a shop for them... :) Which is odd, as that's exactly what Bandcamp's for, and I've never heard of any musician being too lazy to set up an account there, let alone a label...

i'll just re quote, and agreed. I'm still having a great deal of trouble understanding

and that would be amazing and I think a huge development for Rephlex Aphex fans if someone like Joyrex or another trusted authority could be the person to run and update a Rephlex digital shop either on bandcamp or on the rephlex site itself.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I think everyone here is far more interested in hearing the music than playing Sherlock Holmes in getting all the gritty details.

maybe the people who were most vocal in the thread, but honestly you've just had your site written about in Spin, Pitchfork and NME. You don't think these details are in an way important to the 'story'? It's kinda ridiculous to suggest i'm playing sherlock holmes and trying to get 'gritty' details for asking 2 extremely basic questions. I'm not trying to spoil anyones fun, i'm just trying to make sense of something that I'm still having trouble making sense of.

JR is kindly asking you to back the fuck off, sit the fuck down and stop asking him about it. lol obvious is obvious, pity you couldn't sleuth that.

No offence but seriously awe, you really do take detours away from obviousland into pointless minor obnoxiousland on occasion. I'm saying this as a friend, who likes you deeply.

ie,. speculate but don't irritate.

i'll just re quote, and agreed. I'm still having a great deal of trouble understanding

(...)

guys

we are talking about Richard.

I'm not going to develop this argument more.

Edited by MIXL2

I have a question. It's now unlimited to the amount of people which is great.

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay £10,000. So isnt it going to be a loss this way?

P.s my phone sucks

Edited by blackdust

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay g10,000

skrillex

what if it's shit?

That's fucking impossible.

Dunno . The leaked tracks are shit

What's not shit in AFX discography in your ears?

10% are genial, 20% fantastic, 10% more than good, 30% good and the rest are pure shit

So if it's only 30% that's shit, give some examples of it, like full releases if possible.

Impossible. Would you say that EVERYTHING that he has released is great ?There are loads of tracks i skip in Analords ( btw i got the whole set on vinyls ) but among there for instance ; are some very very fine tracks but also some really "not so good" tracks. I will figure 80 min. is really great the rest is not for listining pleasure :-)

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay £10,000. So isnt it going to be a loss this way?

P.s my phone sucks

yeah, basically the more people that get involved, the less money per investor that will be returned from the sale of the item in the auction. At this point does it matter though, the main point was getting the release to all that wanted it.

But say we get 1000 people pitching in £10. When it comes to be sold on eBay afterwards no one individual is going to pay g10,000

skrillex

That guy wouldnt know what to do with a record if it slapped him in the face

Is chaos fun?

Why do we need all of this to enjoy RDJ's music?

Can get some new new music?

Anyways, excited to hear this but the hype on this is weird.

I think the weirdness is the perennial hope of a new album, which has injected itself into the hype for this release of old material. That's why all the "outside interest" is somewhat off-putting, but oh well. Interest beyond true fans will die down a lot. Websites like p4k, Spin, RS all regurgitate the same stories.

For me this is huge, as was the Joyrex tape. It stems from an interest in RDJ's lesser known and early music: MBM, Universal Indicator (including the "IG-88" tracks), AB5, the scrapped Q-Chastic and Green Calx EPs, compilation tracks, etc. Hell, AB4 is one of my favorite releases of his entire discography.

I discovered WATMM back in 2006/2007 by my seeking of more information and insight into the odds and ends of RDJ's career. Stumbled upon xltronic and then here by doing so. So that hype, that of diehard fans, to me makes sense.

Edited by joshuatx

How are the audio files going to be made?

One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment.

The equipment we're tenatively planning on using is a Technics 1210Mk5G with Arkiv Ortofon stylus (that has been "burned in" for a good sound), and we are currently considering purchasing a MOTO Ultralite Mk3 audio interface for this, although this is all subject to change if we figure out a better combination of analogue and digital equipment - our goal is to provide the cleanest possible rip, and we will NOT being doing any sort of post-processing as not to dilute the inherant quality of the audio.

the turntable is adequate, but for the love of RDJ we must find better ripping equipment.
If someone is **considering** purchasing an external sound card for this rip, then we can most certainly find a better ripper and setup.
As a rule of thumb, let's ensure our ripping setup costs more than our record to be ripped.
I'd rather see VPI over Technics for the turntable, and Grado (or similar) over Ortofon for the cartridge. We need the cartridge to be properly aligned. We need a kickass preamp and a good soundcard.
Joyrex, I'm sure you have all of the resources you need, but feel free to reach out if you want to brainstorm on how to get the best signal chain possible.
Has anyone contacted pbthal?

what if it's shit?

That's fucking impossible.

Dunno . The leaked tracks are shit

What's not shit in AFX discography in your ears?

10% are genial, 20% fantastic, 10% more than good, 30% good and the rest are pure shit

So if it's only 30% that's shit, give some examples of it, like full releases if possible.

Impossible. Would you say that EVERYTHING that he has released is great ?There are loads of tracks i skip in Analords ( btw i got the whole set on vinyls ) but among there for instance ; are some very very fine tracks but also some really "not so good" tracks. I will figure 80 min. is really great the rest is not for listining pleasure :-)

every fart from rdj is not a work of genius :-)

How are the audio files going to be made?

One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment.

The equipment we're tenatively planning on using is a Technics 1210Mk5G with Arkiv Ortofon stylus (that has been "burned in" for a good sound), and we are currently considering purchasing a MOTO Ultralite Mk3 audio interface for this, although this is all subject to change if we figure out a better combination of analogue and digital equipment - our goal is to provide the cleanest possible rip, and we will NOT being doing any sort of post-processing as not to dilute the inherant quality of the audio.

the turntable is adequate, but for the love of RDJ we must find better ripping equipment.
If someone is **considering** purchasing an external sound card for this rip, then we can most certainly find a better ripper and setup.
As a rule of thumb, let's ensure our ripping setup costs more than our record to be ripped.
I'd rather see VPI over Technics for the turntable, and Grado (or similar) over Ortofon for the cartridge. We need the cartridge to be properly aligned. We need a kickass preamp and a good soundcard.
Joyrex, I'm sure you have all of the resources you need, but feel free to reach out if you want to brainstorm on how to get the best signal chain possible.
Has anyone contacted pbthal?

haha

Wow, it's crazy how quickly this blew up! I took a break (catching up on work and stuff) and just found out about everything late yesterday. Just wanted to say "thanks" and show my appreciation to Joyrex for arranging this! Way to go! I'm pumped!

P.s my phone sucks

yeah, basically the more people that get involved, the less money per investor that will be returned from the sale of the item in the auction. At this point does it matter though, the main point was getting the release to all that wanted it.

I'm thinking at this point since as it was mentioned, the return per-backer could be so small, it might not be worth the effort to try and refund the money - I'm thinking just chuck that bit towards charity (or to cover distribution costs - things are starting to look scary in terms of bandwidth costs of what it will take to deliver FLAC or WAV downloads to 1000+ people).

That, and Kickstarter actually doesn't allow financial rewards like that (I've had to remove that language as well as the chartiy aspect from the Kickstarter for the approval process).

just throwing a potential idea out there

Bandcamp allows 'private' releases that the public can't access without a direct private URL

and with this you can setup download-codes through bandcamp, every person who contributes on kickstarter could be given a code. I think bandcamp charges a bit of money for every batch of 300 free download codes, something like $5 per batch.

Guest bleepsnbloops

Haven't posted in a while. Just came to say that this whole arrangement seems odd and totally wrong

Sure, it's great that we'll finally get to hear something (kind of) new, from one of my favorite artists but the situation doesn't reflect well on Rephlex/RDJ at all

I appreciate all the effort Joyrex has put into this and the enthusiasm that you guys have for it is infectious but taking a step back from my fanboyism for a minute, the idea that some opportunist is going to bag £5000 out of it and a record label are too lazy to release their own music and feel it's OK for fans to go through such a convoluted, expensive and awkward process to hear something is silly.