IGNORED

Which Charity Should Get The Proceeds of the Ebay Sale?

Joyrex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RandySicko

How can anyone keep a serious face and actually believe that music will help people in war torn countries? The biggest battle going on right now is against the unborn, killing millions of people (yes, babies are people too) every single year. Amnesty International is also a joke because they are pro-abortion. I would post a few Catholic pro-life agencies who can actually get funds to the right places without inadvertently backing the wrong people, but this forum seems to lean on the liberal/atheist/homosexual side of the spectrum and I doubt such an non-relativistic mindset will be welcomed. You should ask Richard what his charity pick is seeing that he is most likely the one selling the album and will be getting double paid. I obviously hope it isn't true but I heard divorces are expensive.

How can anyone keep a serious face and actually believe that music will help people in war torn countries? The biggest battle going on right now is against the unborn, killing millions of people (yes, babies are people too) every single year. Amnesty International is also a joke because they are pro-abortion. I would post a few Catholic pro-life agencies who can actually get funds to the right places without inadvertently backing the wrong people, but this forum seems to lean on the liberal/atheist/homosexual side of the spectrum and I doubt such an non-relativistic mindset will be welcomed. You should ask Richard what his charity pick is seeing that he is most likely the one selling the album and will be getting double paid. I obviously hope it isn't true but I heard divorces are expensive.

Find me a charity that distributes birth control and rubber johnnies.

Yes, let's make sure that all babies conceived must be born. That will make the world a much better place.

Guest RandySicko

It is obvious that for various reasons not all babies conceived will be born, but lets just not kill the ones with a chance. Most people with your sentiments fall into atleast one of two camps who accept the myths about population overgrowth and life beginning at birth. Belief in either ideology requires a highly disordered mind.

There is no greater gift than that of life, so I don't imagine there is any greater charity than one promoting the end to the killing of the unborn as well as helping women and families cope with the psychological devastation that abortion has and will cause them.

Cancer research.

Can't say a hell of a lot but 2 of my grandparents died from different types of cancer and my aunty suffered from it for several years.

• www.mariecurie.org.uk/
  • They give terminal cancer patients palliative care right at their home, rather than forcing them to spending the remainder of their lives in a hospital.
  • Donations to Cancer research, treatment, and palliative care can't be a bad idea. I gather Aphex Twin has some interest in this organization. A photo of this hospital was on one of the Analord labels.

These.

These also.

How does anyone feel about Diabetes? Diabetes is, in my estimate, the cancer of the 21st century. I recently lost my father from diabetes at the age of 46, so I'm a little biased. But it's sweeping across the modern world. Diabetes will afflict 1/3 Canadians, and I'm not sure the statistic for Americans or European, but it's absolutely an extremely violent and terrible disease.

And for all those that are going to step in and say "well stop eating donuts, and sugar" and "you did it to yourself"... fuck off. Diabetes doesn't always work like that.

I think Diabetes is the cancer of the 21st century, just like AIDS was an 80's disease. I apologize if I've offended anyone here.

How does anyone feel about Diabetes? Diabetes is, in my estimate, the cancer of the 21st century. I recently lost my father from diabetes at the age of 46, so I'm a little biased. But it's sweeping across the modern world. Diabetes will afflict 1/3 Canadians, and I'm not sure the statistic for Americans or European, but it's absolutely an extremely violent and terrible disease.

And for all those that are going to step in and say "well stop eating donuts, and sugar" and "you did it to yourself"... fuck off. Diabetes doesn't always work like that.

I think Diabetes is the cancer of the 21st century, just like AIDS was an 80's disease. I apologize if I've offended anyone here.

I'm offended :emotawesomepm9:

I agree with you, man. And there's no need to apologise, well, maybe apologise to roasty, but that's it. :cisfor:

I agree with you, man. And there's no need to apologise, well, maybe apologise to roasty, but that's it. :cisfor:

=)

Is there an international diabetes fund or charity that could be donated to?

Or are we leaning towards a musically oriented charity.....?

Guest RandySicko

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Being a type 1 diabetic, you probably wouldnt expect me to avoid throwing support behind many of the diabetes charities, but the major ones have a history of interfering with companies/individuals who are currently making great strides and are even reversing the disease in mice. I tend to be a cynic regarding this topic though as it is a very personal one.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Being a type 1 diabetic, you probably wouldnt expect me to avoid throwing support behind many of the diabetes charities, but the major ones have a history of interfering with companies/individuals who are currently making great strides and are even reversing the disease in mice. I tend to be a cynic regarding this topic though as it is a very personal one.

Interesting... would you have time to PM me any knowledge on this?

If what you're saying is true, then it's extremely similar to the AIDS and cancer propaganda of their times.

Guest RandySicko

For sure. And I hope I did not come across as too insensitive. Despite coming to complete and healthy terms with it only recently, 17 yrs of the disease has weathered much of my trust with many things diabetes (Though the technology has improved by leaps and bounds!). Trying to work on that though.

=)

I'd be very surprised if it was a musically oriented charity, judging by the responses on here at least. It should go to a good cause, not our cause, as it were.

=)

I'd be very surprised if it was a musically oriented charity, judging by the responses on here at least. It should go to a good cause, not our cause, as it were.

So what direction are you headed in, exactly? Personally, I'd love to see diabetes eradicated, be it through dietary regulation, education, medicinal, etc.....

Again I'm biased so it's hard for me to say....

It is obvious that for various reasons not all babies conceived will be born, but lets just not kill the ones with a chance. Most people with your sentiments fall into atleast one of two camps who accept the myths about population overgrowth and life beginning at birth. Belief in either ideology requires a highly disordered mind.

There is no greater gift than that of life, so I don't imagine there is any greater charity than one promoting the end to the killing of the unborn as well as helping women and families cope with the psychological devastation that abortion has and will cause them.

Being religious is indicative of a highly disordered mind.

=)

So what direction are you headed in, exactly? Personally, I'd love to see diabetes eradicated, be it through dietary regulation, education, medicinal, etc.....

Again I'm biased so it's hard for me to say....

Anything cancer related is always my choice in terms of charity. Alzheimers Society would a second choice, because my gfs grandparents suffered from it as they got older.

My vote is for this.

http://www.ethnobotanicalcouncil.org/

ESC Activities

The Ethnobotanical Stewardship Council is a young organization that depends on your donations. With your support, we are:

• DEVELOPING SCOPING STUDIES to better understand the reality around the sustainability and safety of various ethnobotanicals.
  • WORKING WITH CONSTRUCTIVE STAKEHOLDERS to lead safety and sustainability dialogues on individual ethnobotanicals that will develop broad consensus to create publicly-available principles, standards, and criteria.
  • DESIGNATING CREDIBLE ASSURANCE MECHANISMS (such as certification, verification, or other forms of assurance) to guarantee good practices that are in conformity with the criteria ESC develops through individual ethnobotanical dialogues.
  • COMMUNICATING ADHERENCE TO ESC NORMS through chain of custody certification, on-product labeling, and site-level ratings.
  • ESTABLISHING A STAKEHOLDER COUNCIL of prominent experts to help build awareness of the ESC's mission and accomplishments.
  • ESTABLISHING A BOARD OF DIRECTORS to oversee the ESC as an accountable and sustainable nonprofit entity and for the time being we are being overseen by our fiscal sponsor MAPS and incubation partner ICEERS

I would also be down with voting for a cannabis research foundation, but I'm not aware of any good ones.

Personally, donating to lifestyle diseases such as diabetes (not the hereditary type) seems like a less interesting use of the money. Really great cancer research is being done currently in regards to cannabis therapy as well as it's myriad other application for health, for instance, treating Alzheimer's.

It would be the most logical catch-all for curing diseases if we donate to a good cannabis research foundation in my opinion.

My vote is for the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS).

Their mission (from the site):

Founded in 1986, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501©(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana.

MAPS furthers its mission by:

• Developing psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medicines
  • Training therapists and working to establish a network of treatment centers
  • Supporting scientific research into spirituality, creativity, and neuroscience
  • Educating the public honestly about the risks and benefits of psychedelics and marijuana.

MAPS has been supporting studies on a variety psychoactive substances, looking into their potential for use as medicine. Studies on psychedelics and other substances have shown strong indications that many psychoactive drugs have the power to cure or alleviate mental illnesses like addiction, PTSD, anxiety, depression and others when used in medical settings. MAPS has big ambitions--e.g., they intend to push research and legislation on MDMA through a $18.5 million dollar project to make it a legal prescription medicine by 2021. As current studies supported by MAPS have shown that MDMA is highly successful in curing PTSD (yes, curing--patients show that benefits of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy persist over time), this has the potential to improve the lives of millions of people. With more funding for research, MAPS could develop a deeper understanding on the potential for medicinal use of psychedelics. There are so many anecdotes about people improving their lives after a trip--quitting smoking or drinking, taking up running, feeling new impulses of creativity or destroying old, destructive habits just through the power of self-reflection. Imagine if scientists understood how and why this occurred in the brain. We could then use psychedelics therapeutically to help improve peoples' quality of life!

Pretty exciting stuff. Now, I know it's not alleviating poverty directly like some other charities, but considering that 25% of the homeless population in the United States has some form of mental illness, I think discovering more effective care for them (where now most of them have exactly zero care) would be a great cause to fight for. To drive that point home: Mental illness isn't a first world problem and supporting research on psychedelics is not a joke. Mental illness destroys lives constantly--for example, about 3000 people commit suicide every day--while potential cures remain illegal and the United States refuses to allow research on them. MAPS is an organization dedicated to fighting against these out-dated ways of thinking that are barring the path to medicines that can alleviate much suffering in the world.

This one hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'd encourage you guys to check it out.

1. charity:water (charitywater.org)

2. They try to provide water through wells and shit to places in need

3. These guys are a really well run charity. They focus on building wells and training locals. If you do independent campaigns, they will actually send you information about the project your money helped, including pictures and GPS links.

Here's one of my favorite videos of theirs from many years back, featuring Beck's Time Bomb (not sure where the original is for it, pretty sure it had more than 2000 views):

Their current campaign has to do with training people to fix complex problems with the wells they built using an automated system:

They had a cool thing awhile back where they had ads of Americans (I think in New York) walking miles to dirty bodies of water and getting drinking water from it and giving the murky shit to their kids to drink. They paired this with some interesting displays where they set up tanks with dirty water in them.

Archived